what to take to hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to take to hospital

i can't remember where but i saw the recommendation that we should bring shirts that button (rather than pullovers like t-shirts) to the hospital because it's painful to raise one's arms up postop; i'm guessing this is more the case
    for those whose surgery goes higher into the thoracic spine than for those with surgery lower in the lumbar area

do forumers (is that a word?) agree? do you have any other recommendations of what to bring or not bring to the hospital?
    junosand
    59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
    schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
    with titanium cages
    Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

This is another area we're all different. I didn't have any problem raising my arms at all, but many do. So to be on the safe side, I would recommend the button up tops. Don't worry about taking loads of stuff, it won't be used. Something to throw over your pjs when you're walking the halls, some skid-proof slippers, trackie-daks as we call them in Australia a brush, toothbrush etc. and some recommend an ipod. I didn't use mine though. And something to go home in, although you may have someone who can bring that to the hospital for you.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      This is another area we're all different. I didn't have any problem raising my arms at all, but many do. So to be on the safe side, I would recommend the button up tops. Don't worry about taking loads of stuff, it won't be used. Something to throw over your pjs when you're walking the halls, some skid-proof slippers, trackie-daks as we call them in Australia a brush, toothbrush etc. and some recommend an ipod. I didn't use mine though. And something to go home in, although you may have someone who can bring that to the hospital for you.
      Lol, "Trackie-daks". My new favorite word!
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

What in the world is a Trackie-dak?????????????????? LOL!!!
        Surgery scheduled for January 2011
        by Charles (Ted) Shuff
        http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
        -- Samuel Johnson
        "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
        -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Junosand...

I have a list on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow, that's very thorough Linda. Spreadsheet style. Good ideas. Thanks.
            by Charles (Ted) Shuff

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
            -- Samuel Johnson
            -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi Davis. The slang word for pants in Australia (one of them anyway!) is daks. The "trackie" part refers to "tracksuit" or maybe you call it a leisure suit, or sports suit. Anyway, any pants that are stretchy and comfy and easy to get on and off!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Our surgeries are almost identical!

Moisturiser - air conditioning dries out skin (so do meds)
                Lip balm
                2 piece PJs
                skid proof socks
                dressing gown
                toothbrush
                toothpaste
                hairbrush
                reading material
                research into new hobby due to downtime of recovery
                sanitary pads
                grabber (otherwise just call the nurse)

I didn't bring 'trackies' to go home in as i live 15 minutes from the hospital and i knew that as soon as i got home, i would just go to bed anyway!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

thanks linda!

excellent and looks comprehensive
                  junosand
                  59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                  schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                  with titanium cages
                  Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Ijust got back from St Louis 2 weeks ago Monday. I am fused up to T3 and never had trouble raising my arms over my head. Also, although I took a robe, when PT came in to have me walk, I never used the robe. They always made sure I was tied up in back and never thought about a robe. Just take deodorant and a toothbrush and brush and lotion. I took underwear and asked Dr Bridwell to have them remove the catheter as soon as possible. I hate those so my big goal was to be able to walk to the bathroom. I think they removed my back drains and catheter on Friday after Tuesday surgery. For leaving the hospital just make sure you have comfortable pants with an elastic waist. My stomach was definitely bloated after surgery. Good luck!
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Regarding a robe-- I had one with me too but never used it either-- when PT took me walking, they always just put another gown on backwards-- like a superhero cape (ha ha!) and that way nothing was going to show for sure.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Junosand,
                        I brought alot of stuff to the hospital and barely used any of it. I had slippers, but they gave me these non skid thick socks to wear. I did use a toothbrush, toothpaste, undies and my ipod a bit. I even gave up on a hair brush because my hair is longer and knots easily. So by the time I got the presence of mind to brush it, it was one big knot. My husband was the only one with me and he tried to help brush it but to no avail, at least we laughed. I had a button up soft cotton dress that was comfy and easy to get into for the ride home, as well as good walking shoes. Also, I learned on the forum pick a pillow for the ride home!! I had a bumpy ride out of Manhattan and was glad I had it. I brought a couple of pictures too that definately brought me comfort. Good luck with your preparations.
                        Debra
                        Age 45
                        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                        Fused T4-T12
                        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Trackie-dak, (now I'm on the inside ;-) )

Thank you JenniferG... as a matter of fact I guess I wore trackie daks today to work. It's getting cooler here with Autumn setting in so, yeah, East Coast United States here, Halloween coming up, BOO, haha, thank you for the explanation ...
                          by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
                          -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Robes would be good too I think.. that's what I'll plan on, robes mostly.
                            by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
                            -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Juno
                              I didn’t bring too much to the hospital since they didn’t want to be responsible for theft. Cell phone, loose fitting clothes, toothbrush.

I woke up with a beard and didn’t have a razor....Quite the surprise.

Its probably more important to have all the items you will need at home when you get home, or have someone get you the things you will need.

The foam topper for your bed is a must. Have it set up before you get home....

Your insurance will provide the walker, grabber etc...at the hospital.
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X