Just Tired, Awake and Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Tired, Awake and Thinking

It's been a long couple days, a whole lot going on with work and family, stresses are really high right now.
    January will be here before we know it and I'll be going through the big one and waking up on the other side of surgery before I even know what's hit me, I'm sure. Jeez, time really speeds up more and more every year it seems.
    Today has been especially difficult as far as the inescapable pain I'm having. Nothing helps. Stretching, compresses, muscle relaxers... nothing
    A small part of me wonders if I'll back out once the date comes. There's always so much to do, things that need to be taken care of, kids that need to be taken care of, and my beautiful fiance', her health is bad and she's been in the hopital alot lately. Work is INSANE! I swear we are so shorthanded that each of us are doing at least 5 peoples jobs and it's just a non-stop full-throttle million mile an hour meat grinder that leaves you spit out and broken at the end of the day. I just don't know if I can be taken out of the equation of everythin going on to be able to get through this and heal and do what needs to be done. Sigh.
    On the bright side I did make my 3rd quarter bonus today, even as tough as the numbers have been, as impossable as the goals have been set with the ever increasing corporate atmosphere, we freakin' made our numbers and got the gold this quarter!!!!! Now I can buy adequate beds for our little ones and not stress so so much for a moment about the ever looming bills.
    Yay!
    The doc says he prefers to use donor blood and donor bone but it's entirely up to me. Jeez I dunno, there seems so little time to think it through adequately, everything just zips and zooms so fast. If anybody's been bored enough to read this far and has any oppinions on that, what do you think? Would appreciate some feedback if you don't mind and have the time.
    Wow, I've really rambled.
    God bless you all and take care.
    - Davis
    Surgery scheduled for January 2011
    by Charles (Ted) Shuff
    http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
    -- Samuel Johnson
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi Davis,

I don't have any tips on the surgery (my son has a largish curve, but no surgery yet), but, looking at your MRI, I wondered if they were going to do something separate for the syrinx or just deal with it as part of the fusion surgery.

My son (who's about 10 years younger than you) has a largish curve (50s-something) also high up in the thoracic spine, and a syrinx right at the apex, so I'd be interested to hear how they're planning on approaching it.

Also, is it possible that the pain is coming from your work rather than just from the scoliosis? When my son was doing alot of computer work in a somewhat unergonomic setup, he used to get a fair amount of pain in his upper back. Since he's backed off all the computer work, he's mostly pain free.

Comment

Hi Davis,

Of course we have time to read your thread. Your words said a lot more than you probably wanted to say. You feel like you have all the weight on your shoulders and if you go down for any length of time, who knows what will happen. That proves that your are a kindhearted loving man, with responsibilties that you take very seriously That makes you a great man.

Forgive me for not knowing a lot about your upcoming surgery, wedding and your family. If you can stand to wait for a while , and you think that's the right thing to do, then do it. You don't have a tumor, but you do have a silent disablity that you're suffering with. That makes for a scarey situation no matter what choice you make. My heart goes out to you.

Before my surgery, time seemed like it flew buy, afterwards my recovery time felt like a snail could beat me. You have a good head and heart, as long as you think you're doing the right thing, it can't be wrong. You just can't wait forever, because you never get better.

I hope I made some sense,
      All the best to you and yours'
      Shari
      Last edited by Shari; 09-26-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Dugger, the Doc told me that the syrinx is benign and nothing needs to be done about it, just an anamoly (shrugs). And you have a very good point, I'm sure that the office atmosphere only exacerbates the already existing pain and wonkiness of these stupid rebel verterbrae. I'm tied to a chair/computer/headset for a large part of my 10 hour shifts but I'm also up running around to faxes, the front counter, copiers and other stations constantly throughout the day. Six years of doing this day after day, I'm sure, doesn't help matters. But I gots ta make the money for my family! lol
        Shari, thank you so much for those kindhearted words, you really don't know how much they mean to me right now. I hate to come off as being needy but lately I feel I'm runnin' on empty and wondering where I'm gonna get the strength to keep going. Superhuman zombieman at this point. If I could have one wish right now, I'd be about as half as tough as I pretend that I am. Thank you very much.
        by Charles (Ted) Shuff

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
        -- Samuel Johnson
        -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Davis, I just saw you are from WV, I live in Wheeling. Were are you???

Shari

Comment

I'm in Huntington and if it werent for my family I wouldn't be here anymore. This states taxes just keep getting more and more rediculous, bah it makes me wanna primal scream.
            Last edited by Davis; 09-23-2010, 11:00 PM.
            by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
            -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"Stupid rebel vertebrae". Thanks, that really made me laugh. I often think of my spine as a big dumb snake, with all the muscles and tendons and worker ants desperately fighting a slow, losing battle to keep things in check. What a world.

I fully relate to the work drama. Nothing like the economy and impending surgery to keep life interesting, yes? Sounds like you have more than your fair share right now. I often wonder if I could cut back on the full-time+ regime, would I not feel good enough to put the surgery question back in the closet? Probably not. I have a hydraulic table and I work sitting and standing- just keep things moving at all times. Bend and stretch, sit and stand...all day. It helps a tiny little bit.

As far as surgical detail decisions, do you have good trust in your doctor?Linda is frequently stating that procedures are best left up to your doc. For myself, I believe that when my time comes (I'm in the holding zone, no surgery scheduled as yet), I will more than likely leave a lot up to my surgeon. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind on that.

I agree with Shari. You are a good guy and all will be well.
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Thanks foof, yeah I do have faith in Dr Shuff. But not as much faith as I have in myself, always been that way, gotta make sure it's exactly right or at least as much as possable. Always looking for that perfect circle and such. Thanks for the response. Gotta go, Nyquil's kickin' my butt.
                by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
                -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X