revision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revision

Just curious about revision surgery. I am fused from t2-l5 and am having a lot of pain and difficulty walking from what I believe is all the pressure on my bottom L5-S1 disc. If I was to have this disc "added on" to my fusion does anyone know how significant this surery would be? I knew I would have to have this done in the future I just didn't know this may be something I am looking at doing possibly so soon. Maybe it is too soon to think about. Maybe the pain will subside. I was just wondering how "serious" this surgery would be.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

does that mean you would then be fused to S1 or to the pelvis...? i think it is done often for folks who had their fusion stop higher due to wanting flexibility, but then develop problems below the fusion later on...

jess

Comment

I am not sure. It seems from many posts that it is the same? But yes, I wanted my flexibility but I believe my trouble walking is compensation from all the pain and pressure on the lower disc perhaps? Not really sure. Maybe I have flat back or maybe I am just extremely impatient. I do not know for sure.
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

revision

Hi, reading your post, I though I was reading mine, except I have a pinch nerve at L5 S1, and need revision surgery, I saw Dr. K. at John Hopkins in may, first I said no, but the more I think about how bad I got in 1 year, I am thinking about surgery a little different now, and yes it is a serious surgery, he said a little more then the first time( I was 59) that was 8 years ago. I can't stand up without support. But the pain does not subside (for me anyway) but since you are younger you may feel you can waite a few more years. good luck Lu

Comment

revision

Hi, it's me again, I have flatback, I think that's the problem, rods stoped at L5, now L5 S1 needs all the work. Lu

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
            I am not sure. It seems from many posts that it is the same? But yes, I wanted my flexibility but I believe my trouble walking is compensation from all the pain and pressure on the lower disc perhaps? Not really sure. Maybe I have flat back or maybe I am just extremely impatient. I do not know for sure.
            Janet
            Hi Janet,
            Just to clarify, fusion to the sacrum and pelvic fixation are not the same. People are not actually fused "to the pelvis". Pelvic fixation just means the addition of some fairly sizable screws in the pelvis to add stability to the whole construct.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Maybe that is what I need. It pinches so badly on my lower back when I try to stand up straight.
              36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

I found out today if I do need the disc (L5-S1) added on it will require pelvic fixation as well. Luckily, it does not require removal of existing rods. My Dr says I do not have flatback.
                Janet
                36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Working...
                X