Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding good doctor---Ohio Area

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum. I go threw "phases" where I try to get informed about scoliosis and current tx. I have had scoliosis since I was a teen (wore a brace, and the Scolitron then), I am now 39. I have my back monitored every 3-6 years. Unfortunately, my back gets worse each year. It was progressing 1-2 degrees every couple of years. However, my most recent visit to an ortho showed a 15 degree increase over the last 3-4 years. My curve is now 60 degrees. I have pain daily...but I live with it, and if I do any kind of physical work (yard work, extensive house cleaning) I know I will be sore. I get tingling in my little toe...it usually goes away after a week or two, then I forget about it.

Bottom line is the doctor said there is no avoiding surgery, but I am not really confident in the doctor I have seen over the last couple of years. I am afraid beyond belief of having surgery...which is why I have put it off for so long.

Does anyone know of excellent surgeons in the Columbus, Ohio area? Or who the best in the US is?

Can anyone tell me about their experience traveling to another state to have surgery? I am contemplating this, but again...pretty scary...I have a strong support system here in Ohio...but would travel if it meant a better surgical outcome.

A couple of more questions; What are the current techniques used for corrective surgery? How much of a correction is "typical" with surgery?

Thanks,
    Anita

Hi - I know you are looking for a doctor in Ohio, but Michigan is not to far away from you. My surgeon is fantastic and has written books and many articles on this surgery. He is chair of Orthopaedic surgery at Beaumont hospita in Royal Oak, MI. This where I had my surgery. I am about 1.5 hours from there.
    I have a friend who traveled from Michigan, about a month ago, had surgery with Dr. Birdwell in St. Louis. She was 8 hours by car, she took a first class plane ride home from St. Louis. She stayed a week in a rehab center after her time in the hospital. She felt it was worth it.

If you go to my blog that is in my signature line on here, you will find a link for Dr. Herkowitz. Dr. Harry Herkowitz.
    Good luck in your journey!
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I live in Indianapolis and had surgery 3 weeks ago with Dr Bridwell in StLouis. There are a couple docs here in Indy who do the surgery, but not exclusively spinal deformity and I wanted someone who did a lot of adult scoliosis surgery. I was in the hospital from Tuesday to Monday and then in a hotel until the following Monday. I had good results and feel it was worth going out of town.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Welcome, Anita!
        I also live in the Columbus area. To my knowledge, there are no SRS (Scoliosis Research Society) doctors in Columbus, yet alone any who specialize in adult deformities. I traveled to St. Louis to have my surgery with Dr. Lawrence Lenke. I'll send you a PM if you want to talk further.
        Kathy
        Kathy
        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Docs

I can give you names of Peds Ortho in Cleveland two who are SRS and might give you the names of Adult SRS Otho. just PM me. Good luck with all of this. Mary

Comment

Welcome from me as well Anita,

I live in Wheeling WV, and I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. Most of us here are going to say we have the best Doctor. It took me years to find someone that I trusted with my life. I knew within minutes that he was the guy that was going to invade my body!

I kept getting sent to one doctor after another. It took me finding this forum to know how to search for doctors that do this surgery frequently.

Dr. Robert McClain did my surgery and he also has had a few people preparing to have surgery call me. There is a list floating on the forum of doctors that do this surgery on adults frequently. Some one here will give you the link.

Good Luck & Take Care,
            Shari

Comment

How much correction to expect & info on Bridwell, Kahn, Kutz, Lehner...

Thank you to all who responded...and that may respond in the future

I am still researching doctors...if someone can forward the link or list I would greatly appreciate it.

I would love to hear from people that have experience or who have heard of the following surgeons:

Alfred Kahn III-Cincinnati OH

Charles Kuntz IV-Cincinnati OH

James Lehner-Dayton OH

Keith Bridwell-St. Louis MO (KathK---I don't know how to PM...my email is amarple@insight.rr.com...can you email?...LisaB---I would also like to know more about your experience with Bridwell.)

Thanks for all your help...surgery is scary to think about...it helps to speak to others going through the same thing
              Last edited by buckeye95; 09-21-2010, 12:08 PM. Reason: Want dr names in heading

Comment

Originally posted by buckeye95 View Post
                Hello all,
                I am new to this forum. I go threw "phases" where I try to get informed about scoliosis and current tx. I have had scoliosis since I was a teen (wore a brace, and the Scolitron then), I am now 39. I have my back monitored every 3-6 years. Unfortunately, my back gets worse each year. It was progressing 1-2 degrees every couple of years. However, my most recent visit to an ortho showed a 15 degree increase over the last 3-4 years. My curve is now 60 degrees. I have pain daily...but I live with it, and if I do any kind of physical work (yard work, extensive house cleaning) I know I will be sore. I get tingling in my little toe...it usually goes away after a week or two, then I forget about it.

Bottom line is the doctor said there is no avoiding surgery, but I am not really confident in the doctor I have seen over the last couple of years. I am afraid beyond belief of having surgery...which is why I have put it off for so long.

Does anyone know of excellent surgeons in the Columbus, Ohio area? Or who the best in the US is?

Can anyone tell me about their experience traveling to another state to have surgery? I am contemplating this, but again...pretty scary...I have a strong support system here in Ohio...but would travel if it meant a better surgical outcome.

A couple of more questions; What are the current techniques used for corrective surgery? How much of a correction is "typical" with surgery?

Thanks,
                Anita
                Anita,
                I am from Indianapolis which is about 4 hours from Columbus I think. My second surgery was performed by Dr. Terry Trammel from Indy Ortho. He is an excellent surgeon and fixed damage done by my first surgeon. Definitely worth traveling for in my opinion.
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                X