bending and twisting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bending and twisting

As I'm feeling better, I'm catching myself bending over a bit or twisting. Last night, I was sitting in my rocker (I'm a bit like a granny these days, in my rocker with my lap blanket) and my old cat was trying to get onto my lap with some trouble so I just reached down and scooped her up (she's only about 6lbs). But then I was worried I bent over too much. I also bent over to kiss the kids goodnight and my husband thought I was bending too much. The other thing I did recently is twist a bit to get to the toilet paper (when I was in more pain, i made sure it was in my hands before i sat down). I don't want to do anything wrong to get in the way of fusion this early on. Do any of you have any thoughts? I'm not sure if I should be more careful, or just do what I can as my body allows.
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Did Dr Boachie expain the conasines of bending and twisting your too soon. because my surgeon is Dr Gupta at uc davis in california. He told me if i bent my back to soon after surgery that the metal chold come out of place.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Debra, I remember worrying about the same thing. Once the pain goes, it's easy to forget and I bet we all did a little bit of bending and twisting without thinking, in those early weeks, and worried about the consequences.

I think all that titanium and all those screws can probably withstand a little bit of bending and twisting. Just try to keep it at the forefront of your mind, because it's so easy to forget and do what comes naturally.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

When I'm sitting I find that I forget about bending more often. I caught myself the other night scooping up one of my cats as I was sitting on the couch. I've been more careful since that time. However, when I saw Dr. Vora last week he had me bend forward about 90 degrees. I figured if he told me to then it was okay for that one time only.

Now, when I'm standing I don't tend to forget about the bending. If something is just out of reach by a little that I tend to do a demi plie (from ballet when I was younger) to grab what I want. Otherwise I have my "grabby stick" with me wherever I go... it's like an extension of my arm now! Oh, and a 3 year old who always wants to be Mommy's helper.
        Tiffany K
        I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
        4'11", never braced
        Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
        T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Hi Debra,

I was in the turtle shell brace, so bending and twisting was not an issue. The first few nights at home I took it off to lie down, but I was so paranoid about moving the wrong way in my sleep, I wore it to bed as well. I think we all have the same fears about moving wrong. Don't want to go through that surgery again any time soon.

Take care,
          Shari

Comment

I recall doing something similar at about the 5-6 week mark and then being really worried about it because i knew about my loose screw at L5/S1. At my next checkup appt, my xrays all looked good, so my worries of having disturbed the fusion were laid to rest. I think that, within reason, if you feel well enough to do certain things, just try it! Your body will definitely let you know if it doesn't like it!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I was under the impression that the hardware would limit/restrict the amount of BTL that someone could do, am I wrong? I know I will have to be careful, but I imagined that I would feel the brakes go on from the hardware if I tried to bend or twist too much.

Will someone please tell me if this is realistic or not?

I am at T minus 3 weeks now.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks guys. I feel anxious about the fusion working out properly. I did call the Dr.s office and the nurse said I shouldn't bend at my knees at all except for sitting, the bathroom, getting into bed, the car. I've always been very active and so I realize I have to be very aware of what I'm doing. It's so much to go through this surgery I don't want to risk something going wrong now that I could otherwise control. I do wish I were in a brace, I said that all along. I wore one for 4 years as a kid, it would be nothing for me to wear it now especially if I could have some peace of mind. The doctor just didn't think I needed it. I guess I feel worried about my lower curve correcting too (it is left unfused because the doc thinks it has a very good chance of correcting on it's own), though I've been told it can take up to a year to correct (if it's going to). I'm eager to start exercising my torso muscles to strengthen my back, as I see this as the only way to encourage the correction and keep my lower back healthy. But I know I have to resist any temptation to exercise now and just let my upper curve have the time it needs to heal.
                Debra
                Age 45
                Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                Fused T4-T12
                Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I haven't had the surgery yet but I am going to ask my DR to fit me for a brace to wear afterwards because it just makes sense to me.
                  Surgery scheduled for January 2011
                  by Charles (Ted) Shuff
                  http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
                  http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
                  -- Samuel Johnson
                  "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
                  -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It depends on the Doctor . Some will , some won't . The Doctors will do will only give braces to the patients who fit a group based on whatever the doctor feels . I have a brace . I have been wearing it from May 4th. Only the last visit has the doctor given me the go head to stop wearing it at home for several hours each day. I never had to wear it to sleep in. Some of his patients have to sleep in it and shower in it. I still can not leave the house without wearing it.

Melissa

Comment

I asked if I would be wearing a brace and was told that Dr. Lenke does not brace his patients because he thinks the back muscles will heal faster without bracing. It makes sense, but I can imagine it would really be easy to forget and move the wrong way without a brace.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm not braced and am told that Dr B is one of the more conservative docs. the new hardware is very strong and I actually feel like I have an internal brace and if I start to move maybe more than I should I feel it and stop. When I lean back in a chair I almost feel like I am sitting against a board. I really think it would take a really major move you're not supposed to do to dislodge something. On the downside I have to use a walker at least until my followup on Oct 25. But I did go out and walk 3/4 of a mile earlier today and I'm not sure I could have made it without the walker and it keeps me really upright. My husband walked the dog while I tagged along with my walker. I'll walk a little 1/4 of a mile this afternoon as he wants to be walking a mile by one month post op which is Tuesday.
                        Age 56
                        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                        Thoracic 68
                        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                        Dr Bridwell St Louis
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
                        X