Slept past my med time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slept past my med time

I never woke up for my time to take my percocet last night. Now I'm 6 hours past due and I'm sweating up a storm. I didn't mean to miss my medicine, but I was so tired that I slept like a log! I'm really stiff, but not in pain... should I take my percocet or let it go??
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Are you allowed to split the percoset tablets in half? If so, you might consider a half dose to step down. That's what I did with vicadin. Call the doctor's office first to check on the half dose though. Hope you feel better soon.
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

I called the doctor's office and they said that I could cut the pills in half. Thank goodness I got that call because after the sweating stopped my nose started running and was making me cough and gag. I feel like such a druggie going through withdrawal... bleh!
      Tiffany K

29 years old
      4'11", never braced

Comment

Definitely withdrawal. Good to know that you can start cutting down.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

you can start cutting back if you want, but do it more slowly so you don't get those lovely withdrawl symptoms (at least if you're awake.) When I was having withdrawls, I'd take a pill and within 15/20 minutes, I felt perfect.

How wonderful that you were able to sleep so long!! ALso, don't split your pills in two unless you ask the pharmacist or doctor. If you split the long acting pills, you can overdose.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Splitting the pills did not work so well in the long run. I ended up getting a migraine. So, I'm back at square one. I am slowly lengthening the times between the percocet. So far I'm at 8 1/2 hours between doses. I was hoping this would be easier, but apparently not.
            Tiffany K

29 years old
            4'11", never braced

Comment

can your surgeon give you a different type of med??
              less strong ? would Tylenol 3 with codeine work?
              Anna
              Braced: august 08-sept.09
              spinecor
              Pre surgery Curves: L90* & T55* degrees!
              Levels fused:T11-L3
              Post surgery curves
              L33*,T30*

Comment

Originally posted by TiffanyK View Post
                Splitting the pills did not work so well in the long run. I ended up getting a migraine. So, I'm back at square one. I am slowly lengthening the times between the percocet. So far I'm at 8 1/2 hours between doses. I was hoping this would be easier, but apparently not.
                When I weaned myself off, I lengthened the time between doeses, and even if I could only tolerate 15 more minutes than the previous dose, that was progress. Slow but sure weaning wins the race. It's sure better than those darn withdrawls!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lengthening the doses really does beat the withdrawal symptoms. At this point I'm at 9 1/2 hours... so far so good. I do notice that I'm a little more tired than normal, but that could be the fact that I can't put down this freakin' book down!
                  Tiffany K

29 years old
                  4'11", never braced

Comment

Tiffany - I've been cutting my pain meds (percocet) like you lengthening the time in between. I feel grateful that my pain levels are about what they were pre-op or less. So, I don't want to take alot of medicine if I'm not in alot of pain. Night time is probably the worst for pain for me, but as I'm doing better I'm sleeping longer too - just waking up with knots and stiffness so bad (but, this is good news for you that you're able to sleep longer). But, it make's it hard to get up at exactly the right time (I guess you could set you're alarm if you're having that strong of a reaction). I take my medicine whenever I get up even if it's not the exact right time, and then start walking around the house to loosen my back (my cat enjoys the company in the middle of the night). Did your doctor say it was ok to take the percocet after skipping for so long or did he suggest something else? I hope so, because being in so much pain can't be good. Good luck with weaning off the pills, you'll get there.
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Debra - My pain level is down to my pre-op level also. It was more of the withdrawal symptoms that was bothering me. I have my husband set the alarm every once in a while for me to take my percocet... it depends on the time I need to take it. Most of the time I've been able to just wake up when it was time by my "internal" alarm clock.

I have a couple reasons that I want off the percocet. One, I feel ready. Two, I want to go back to work, but my doctor will only let me drive for a very short time and my work is 45 minutes away. Finally, I just plain hate taking medicine.

On a good note though, I just made it to 11 hours. Nap time with my daughter seemed more important to me! She likes to cuddle with mommy and now it doesn't hurt anymore.
                      Tiffany K

29 years old
                      4'11", never braced

Comment

Working...
                      X