Computer/office chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer/office chair?

What has anyone found to be a good chair for fused and unfused scoliotic backs? Just wondered what everyone else is using.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

I am using the same computer chair I used pre-op. It's very firm and upright and I place a small cushion to fill the newly created lordosis area. If I put it down low, it gives me a back ache after a few hours. I spend hours every day on the computer (have an online business and work from home.) I've learnt that being bolt upright and a firm seat and back is what I need. Any soft cushioning that I sink into, is not comfy any more, well, not for hours.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I went to an office supply to pick out a chair and without looking at the price tags, I selected the 4 cheapest secretarial chairs.

I think it was about $45. I figured it was the most I could lose if it didn’t work out.

If you go cheap and make a mistake, you can try again. If you go pricey, and make a mistake, its not worth much to anyone else.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I also have the same chair as pre-op. In fact, i have had this chair since 1993, it is indeed my favourite. It has dials on the seat and backrest, so that you can adjust either. I was told that you should sit with your knees pointing to the ground. I find this comfortable for me. I am self employed with a home office as well, but i try not to spend too much time on the computer unless required, although after this latest surgery (hyster), i find myself on here a little more than normal. If you haven't already got one, do the 'try before you buy' thing and see what works best for you. Best wishes on your chair hunt!
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

So much depends on YOUR unique body geometry! For example, I have relatively short calves and if the seat isn't close to the floor, it puts great strain on my lumbar area. That being so, the height of the seat - from floor (measured in the rear-most part) is THE most determining.

A friend was recently promoted to head of the chair division in the most elite, highest-selection office furniture store in town (head-quarters of a very large state university). Thanks to her expertise, she was able to zero in right away to the chair that is THE lowest. I like other chairs' features but am unable to consider any others. This one is almost $350.

Excessive choice sometimes seems like a burden. Often, when confronted by complex decisions (bras, shoes. mattresses, laptops, surgeons!). I reminisce fondly about time I spent in East Berlin, before reunification. There was no choice available then! You know, the Communist stereotype - you go to the bread store, and there is one kind of bread, wrapped in brown paper. It's labeled "BROT"/Bread. Maybe on a good day, there are both black AND white bread. But they were WAY cheap, especially with dollars changed on the Black Market!

With office chairs, reduced choice can be a bonus too, within limits. I have a small measuring tape attached to my car keys. When shopping, I measure the seat - whether it's Walmart's or a most upscale store. There's no arguing with the numbers! If the seat is higher than 16" max or the back is higher than the front, I have to forget it. I don't mind getting a cheapo chair, as long as it is ergonomic for ME!

Looks like I'll have to get that pricey low chair. Luckily, it has a few other features I like too (arm rests go up and down, seat tilts, there's movable lumbar support.) And at least, there's no stressing over the choice!

You may find there are similar restrictions for you according to anatomic considerations. At good furniture stores, there are often trained salespeople who can measure you and advise about your needs. There have been some helpful threads about chairs recently and you may find good advice there, too. Personally, I find the special chair I'm using now provides great advantages. Backless, it rolls on a tilted base, with a raised platform for knees. It also forces me to use my core for support.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200513331736

Many people advise that patients delay such purchases until they see what seems to work after surgery. If much expense is involved, I'd go along with that It seems to me, though, that some preliminary shopping to get the "Lay of the land" , can help. Then after surgery, you won't have to drag yourself around too much when your back is "new" and you tire easily.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Some Doctors including Dr. Oz on TV recommend using an exercise ball to sit on. You have to sit up straight in order to balance on one and you will be exercising your back muscles to sit upright. After surgery, it might be much more difficult to balance until you are totally healed and fused. This is only a suggestion and the cost is really cheap, about $25-$30. I confess, I did not do this myself. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I've been sitting on a Swopper (www.swopper.com) for years now, but I'm not sure it's the best thing. They claim that sitting on the Swopper automatically puts your spine in the correct position, but I find I can, and do, slump on the Swopper as much as I would on any chair or seat. Everyone else in the family hates it, so I'm always having to move the traditional office chair and drag my Swopper back to the computer to sit. I've been thinking of just abandoning it for something more traditional. I've tried the kneeling chairs, but haven't found one I liked.

Thanks everyone, for sharing your thoughts.
              Stephanie, age 56
              Diagnosed age 8
              Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
              Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
              Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
              Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
              Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
              Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

If money isn't a big issue, I highly recommend the Steelcase Think chair. It's the absolute perfect chair for me.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X