T-minus 83 hours and counting.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-minus 83 hours and counting.......

Well it finally became real. My mom, fiance, and I arrived in St. Louis about an hour and a half ago. Tomorrow we meet with Bernie again at 9:45am, and then with the anesthesiologist at 1:00pm. Tuesday will be a free day, so we're planning on seeing a few things around the city. At 10am Wednesday, I'll have my central line put in, then we'll be back at the hospital Thursday morning at 5:30am, and my surgery is scheduled to begin at 7:30. WOW. I really can't believe I'm sitting in St. Louis right now waiting for this to happen. WOW. WOW!

If I'm remembering correctly, theres at least one other person out here right now for surgery this week too, right?
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Best of Luck to you Mike I hope everything works out for the best for you.. My sons surgery is Wednesday morning with Bridwell, we will be there tomorrow our appt is at 11:30, and anesthelogist at 2pm.
    Kelly
    mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
    Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
    Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
    Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
    Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
    scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
    Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Best of luck to you, Mike, and to Cam! My surgery was Aug 31. I'm doing great and Bernie is supposed to let me know tomorrow if we can return to Indy tomorrow. I've been out here for 2 weeks. My surgery was a big success and I'm sure yours will be too. I had xrays last Thursday and they look good. And my incision is looking good. I'll be thinking of both of you!!
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Well wishes being went to fellow Dr. Bridwell patients.
        Take care, Mary Ann

Comment

Kelly, Lisa, Mary Ann, thanks alot, I really appreciate it...

Kelly, how is your son handling everything? Id think it would be pretty scary for an 11 year old? And if youre in the waiting room tomorrow, and see a really tall guy, its most likely me.

Lisa, what has the 2 weeks consisted of? Where have you been staying? Where and how often have you been going to therapy or rehab or whatever? I havent really discussed that with Bernie too much yet...And this central line, does that stay in for a while after surgery?

I have plenty more questions.....
          37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
          Scoli pics

Comment

Mike,Kelly

This is a time in your life that you will never forget. I actually calmed down quite a bit for the last 2 days, I realized that there was no way to change anything at that point. Just realize that you will be putting yourself in the hands of some extremely qualified people that do this stuff on a daily basis. Soon you will be recovering. Hang in there, post when you can. We are here.

There is a thread that either Brad (quickdraw) or I did oh, about 2 years ago, that discusses the thoughts of a scoli surgery from a 12 year old (Brad), back in 1983. He is the one of the only adult males here that I know, that has discussed these feelings. I was 16 in 1974 when I was discussing surgery with my surgeons. I will hunt for it if someone wants to read about this subject matter... I know that I, at age 16 thought it was extremely scary, and decided to wait. Please remember that things have improved significantly since those days. Nice to have Brad posting again.

I would say that yes, its very scary for the kids. There are times that I feel that knowing TOO much, is not the best thing. Of course, age and intellect play a large part. The kids do heal so fast, it really is incredible how quickly they recuperate. They are troopers.

Adaptability is key.....Be positive when new changes suddenly arise.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Found it for you

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9393

I just found this thread earlier today. I remember I had stumbled upon it one of the first few days I was ever reading on the forum.

A must-read for everyone.
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Ahh...Reminders of the past.....

Amy
                I don’t normally read old threads. Thanks, they bring back a smile, I will visit my buddy next week, maybe toast out of his wooden leg again....

Anyone in Jersey? Id love to stop in, just let me know what exit. LOL

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Mike and Cam,
                  Best of luck with your surgeries with Dr. Bridwell. Lisa is doing amazing for so soon after her surgery. I'll be thinking about you on Thursday and wishing you the best. You're in good hands with Dr. Bridwell. I think my surgeon, Dr. Lenke, trained under him.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Good luck to both of you!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey Golfnut....I thought you might be interested in this...

I really love golf too, and play quite a bit, probably not as much as you, but still. I just wanted to make sure I played as much as I possibly could this summer before surgery. Im not great, but not horrible, I basically play bogey golf. But last Sunday I played a new course with my dad and played the best round Ive ever played. 87. At least I can feel good about something for having to take a year off!
                      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                      Scoli pics

Comment

This must be Good Golf week. Shari had her great game after the 5 year mark. So there's lots to look forward to.

Mike, I hope you and Cam and Kelly do run into each other at the doc's. I think it would be great for Cam and you! It must be something to finally be staged and all-systems-go after all the months of speculation. I think it's great that you are THERE.

I'll be away from all computers for the week here, being called out on a last minute work assignment into the hills. No computer for me. I'm hoping maybe my blackberry will work and I can check on The Big Guy and The Little Guy. Best of luck and my prayers are with you.

Kelly, thoughts are with you for your son. It must be so hard for the moms.

Ed, prayers for you too on your sojourn this week...
                        Amy
                        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                        Exercising to correct

Comment

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/forestpark/

Since you have a little in-between appt time today, or some time to fill after your anesth appt this afternoon, Barnes is very close to Forest Park (when I was a nursing student there, we'd get our lunch from the cafeteria and walk over there for a short picnic). The art museum, zoo and MO Historical Society are all there, along with some other attractions (if you decide on any of these, you'll want to drive, though). . .most things are free, so you won't feel like a trip over there should be an all day thing.

I'll be thinking of you in these next days. . .you'll be on the other side before you know it.
                          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Best Wishes, Mike (fellow Ohioian)! My surgery was with Dr. Lenke 6 weeks ago today. I know you will do well. You are in great hands at this point! I wanted to let you know that I did drive home from St. Louis to Columbus 12 days after my surgery in a Toyota Highlander. We split the ride into 2 days, but I think 3 days would have been better. Beware that the good folks of Illinois have their roads in better shape (bump wise) than Indiana or Ohio IMHO.

Kelly and Cameron, I have been praying for you every day for some time now. Keep us posted.
                            Kathy
                            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Mike and Cam--
                              Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Very best of luck on your surgeries; you're in good hands there in St. Louis. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X