Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I would drop in and say hi.

Hi!

Its been a long long time since I was around and I thought I'd say hello to the lovely ladies here (and Ed). Lots have changed since I was last here, the biggest being my wife & I moved from California to Manitoba (Canada). We've been here two weeks now and I am on the hunt for work.

We drove, which was fun, specially as I was in a U-Haul and she was driving the car. There were days when she had to massage my back every time we stopped. The stupid thing I did was not bring my memory foam mattress topper and now I am paying for it. So that's more fun there. lol (hopefully I'll be getting one this week)

We took our weimaraner (Ares) with us, and my mother is loving having a dog around. Its fun to take him on little walks, and my wife takes him on the further walks (since I can't do that without paying a pain price). But its good to have him here.

So that's it for now, I don't want to write a novel.

So hi guys! How have you all been?

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Hey Brad, it's great to hear from you! It sounds like all is going well, other than your memory foam topper... And yes, there were some of us (at least me) that had wondered what had become of you. Keep us posted from time to time. Take care!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Brad, thanks for the update.

Your post brought me back to the three years we were in Calgary. Canada is a great place to live besides being home for you.

Best regards,
      Sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Brad

We were wondering if you had made that big move to Inuvik. That is in Manitoba right? LOL Just kidding. I will be up in the Kingston, Ontario area next week, and need to work on my Canadian humor. sigh.

Glad to hear things are ok
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
          Hey Brad, it's great to hear from you! It sounds like all is going well, other than your memory foam topper... And yes, there were some of us (at least me) that had wondered what had become of you. Keep us posted from time to time. Take care!
          How are things with you Susie? All well I hope? There were a number of times I thought of all of you here. You guys helped me out a lot. I will come around more often, I promise.

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Brad, thanks for the update.

Your post brought me back to the three years we were in Calgary. Canada is a great place to live besides being home for you.

Best regards,
          Sharon
          A huge amount of stress is gone when we came into Winnipeg. It was great seeing family. My grandparents were here, my brother and two of his sons (who live in the Middle East) were here so it was really good. My wife Kathy is doing a lot better too, she misses home but sees the huge amount of support my family has for each other and is really enjoying that feeling. Overall it was a really wise move and one we needed in a huge way.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Brad

We were wondering if you had made that big move to Inuvik. That is in Manitoba right? LOL Just kidding. I will be up in the Kingston, Ontario area next week, and need to work on my Canadian humor. sigh.

Glad to hear things are ok
          Ed
          Well Ed... If you are going to work on your Canadian humor, you need to know that its 'Canadian humour' (don't forget to add the 'u') .

Brad

My email has also changed for those interested. bmcgraw@qiksilver.net
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Postop xray

Comment

Hi Brad,
            It's good to hear from you. I was wondering where you were. Actually, I was thinking about your x-ray before I thought about you. You said your wife would give you a massage every day while driving up to Canada. When you have your memory foam mattress and you aren't driving long distances, are you Pain free? I hope so. I still have some leg pain, but since we moved to North Carolina and the weather is more stable here, my pain has been somewhat less. I should qualify stable weather except when a hurricane is passing by us. I expected hurricane Earl to give me more pain, but was pleased when he didn't.
            Take care. How cold does it get up there in Manitoba in the wintertime?
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
              Hi Brad,
              It's good to hear from you. I was wondering where you were. Actually, I was thinking about your x-ray before I thought about you.
              Always nice to be appreciated.

You said your wife would give you a massage every day while driving up to Canada. When you have your memory foam mattress and you aren't driving long distances, are you Pain free? I hope so.
              Yeah, I really needed the massages. Its a long drive (2300 miles) and it was really tough on my back. My wife is a life saver.
              I'm not pain free though. I still have problems, and I don't see them going away. My wife's massages help, but I tell my wife I could be a massage school training dummy because as soon as some knots are gone, others come in to take their place. Sometimes when she is massaging I can feel shooting pain going down my leg. That's when I know she's got a good spot. lol

I still have some leg pain, but since we moved to North Carolina and the weather is more stable here, my pain has been somewhat less. I should qualify stable weather except when a hurricane is passing by us. I expected hurricane Earl to give me more pain, but was pleased when he didn't.
              Take care. How cold does it get up there in Manitoba in the wintertime?
              Sally
              I'm glad you are doing better, dealing with the pain is no fun. Weather hasn't effected me, although I've lived in primarily dry climates, but when I lived in Vancouver, BC I did have a lot more pain in the winter, since it mostly rains. Manitoba can get to -40 or below in teh winter, but its dry and easy to dress against. The funny thing is this will be my Californian wife's first winter in a really cold place. Its should be fun to watch.

Brad
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Postop xray

Comment

Brad, Buy her a really good, really long down or fur coat.
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Anyone see the movie Dr Zhivago? Brad, you might want to netflix this one before the winds of Thor blow cold.....
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

SHEARLING!!!! it is the warmest i ever had...outside of the Blackgama mink i am ashamed to say i used to wear...
                    but i have reformed...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                      Brad, Buy her a really good, really long down or fur coat.
                      Nope. Fleece is king! Or queen as the case may be... A few years ago we were here for New Years and got my wife plenty of fleece to get her through the week we were here. We'll get more for this winter, but she is going to be fine.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Anyone see the movie Dr Zhivago? Brad, you might want to netflix this one before the winds of Thor blow cold.....
                      Ed
                      LOL

Oh she'll be fine. Fine for numerous jokes about a Californian in Winterpeg.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      SHEARLING!!!! it is the warmest i ever had...outside of the Blackgama mink i am ashamed to say i used to wear...
                      but i have reformed...

jess
                      What is shearling? I've never heard of that.
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

Are you a vegetarian, Jess? (I am - 99.99% anyhow)

If not, I/d say the shearling is a LOT less offensive than mink - from the cruelty POV, at least. Depending on how the sheep are slaughtered, that is - and for that matter, how they are raised, about as much.

After all, sheep unlike mink, are largely raised to be eaten.
                        I'm a big believer in HOW food-animals are killed when the time comes. Even more than in WHETHER they are killed. There's quite a range.
                        Um, "food for thought"...
                        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

oh gosh...i THOUGHT shearling was from sheep that were sheared...

now i see that PETA says those sheep are killed because, besides being sheared, their skin is also used...

now i am thinking this must be the reason it is so warm...i thought it was as warm as mink but without the cruelty...

i now feel sick thinking of my 2 coats in the closet...

jess

Comment

Working...
                          X