Day 11 and I'm feeling pretty darn good: hope for those over 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 11 and I'm feeling pretty darn good: hope for those over 50

Well, Tues, Aug 31, was my 7or 8 hour surgery. It went very well and I was in recovery for 1 1/2 hours before going to my room. On Wed, the nurses had me sitting on the edge of my bed when Dr Bridwell and Dr Kelly(his fellow) came in. Then they had me stand and walk in place. PT made a morning visit and an afternoon visit and we walked a little more each time. Thursday was more of the same; Drs Bridwell and Kelly came around about 6:30am and checked my incision and standing and walking. More PT and Occ T. And between all of these visits I slept. Friday Dr Kelly took out my 3 drains before Dr Bridwell came in for his 6:30 visit. Then the nurses took out my catheter. Friday evening I had my first solid food. On Monday they released me to the hotel. Chuck had moved us from the Parkway to the Chase Park Plaza just down the street. He brought a lot of work to do and they had a better business center. They also have several restaurants and their own movie theater. (and if you ask, they have Barnes patient rates also. There are lots of walking areas within the hotel and close to many nearby restaurants. We actually walked a couple blocks to restaurants Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Trying to walk a lot but not over do it. Thursday I saw Bernie and had x-rays. They emailed them to me but I can 't figure out how to get them to the forum site. I feel like most of my rib hump is gone; shoulders and hips are even. All in all, very happy with everything. Get to go back to Indy Mon or Tues!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Great to hear that everything is going so well

Melissa

Comment

So glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the progress!!
      Chris, Austin, TX
      80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
      Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
      C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
      New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

I'm gobsmacked! That is truly amazing -I'm mainly referring to you walking a couple of blocks a week after surgery! I dips me lid to you, Lisa!

Fantastic to hear you recovering so well.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

LOL I just sent you a PM but you pretty much just answered my questions... Im glad everything went well for you
          Kelly
          mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
          Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
          Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
          Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
          Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
          scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
          Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Lisa,
            I am so happy for you. It sounds more like a post from someone 8 weeks post surgery. It also gives me lots of hope since you are only 4 years younger than me. I hit the big 60 on the 16th. Thanks for posting your excellent results and progress.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Lisa, your post-op sounds very similar to mine, however, I was 'floored' reading that you walked a couple of blocks very early. From memory, I don't think that i was able to do that until the 6-8 week mark. That's fantastic!
              Best wishes of a continued smooth recovery.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

This Walking is with a walker and I have to use it until I see Dr Bridwell Oct 25. Using it makes me feel like I am walking straight and tall. My only other issue is getting the digestive system back on track. I've had a stool softener and a laxative in the hospital since I could start taking pills. When I saw Bernie Thursday she said to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate(or whatever it's called). Still nothing so my husband bought me a bag of prunes today and a bran muffin. If nothing by tomorrow l will drink another bottle of the mc stuff. And walk. I'm able to pass gas (this is such a gross topic) so they tell me it will happen soon.
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Lisa,

Congrats to you! You sound great, all in all- really ahead of the game. I'm also pleased to hear from a 50+ that you are doing so well.

So I guess I can wait 'til at least next year

Great to hear from you.
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

All I can say is, "Yay!" for you, and you do give us "old ladies" hope that we won't be in such bad shape because of age.

May it continue along the same path for you as you move forward. Wow!
                    Stephanie, age 56
                    Diagnosed age 8
                    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Wow!

Thanks so much for sharing Lisa!!!

I am about to embark on a revision surgery October 13th, and of course am somewhat anxious as the first T10-L5 5 years ago was one's basic nightmare, and that with everything going okay! Mine is for kyphosis above the original surgery, and will be just a posterior affair-- 3 days in hosp, and 6 weeks on walking only orders. I will be 59 at the time of this surgery, so to hear you tearing it up less than 2 weeks out is an absolute inspiration! Hope I will be so lucky, and keep up the good work!!!

Regards,
                      Sharon
                      Singing the Blues
                      Female 1951
                      A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
                      Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

So happy for you Lisa! Sounds like you are doing really well. Keep up the good work! You're an inspiration to others.

Glenda
                        Glenda
                        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Lisa--- so great to hear from you and how well you are doing so soon after surgery. Going home soon--- wonderful news! Again, thanks for your encouragement along with everyone else's as I anticipate my surgery with Dr. Bridwell on March 1, 2011.

Comment

Yeah!!!! What great news!! Keep up the good work.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lisa, Thanks so much for the update. I am thrilled for you, that this behind you, and that you are doing so well. It gives us "over 50" people encouragment and hope. Relax now, and heal. Sincerely, Lori
                              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                              T54/L72
                              Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                              Gained 2 inches!
                              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                              12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                              X