PLEASE! disc in neck pushing on spinal cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE! disc in neck pushing on spinal cord

Has anyone had a bulging disc in their neck that was pushing on the spinal cord?

The doc said my spinal cord is being pushed on giving it an oval shape. He said I should have this op done first before my spinal correction surgery.

I am not sure what to do.

Does anyone know if the spine correction surgery will cause the disc to move?

He said once this surgery is done I have to wait 6 weeks before I can get the spine correction done. That means I will be in the hospital over the holidays
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

I just had neck surgery(3 levels of fusion) for stenosis in the neck. Since my situation is different I cannot respond to your specific questions, but your surgeon should be able to explain this.

I am also having to delay my scoli surgery for a minimum of 6 weeks due to the neck surgery. I do know that in my case they wanted to fix the neck issue first to make my scoli surgery safer.
    Chris, Austin, TX
    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

LaShawn,

Sorry to hear about your neck issues. I have neck pain, too, and have been told by a couple of surgeons that you definitely want to get that checked out and taken care of (if necessary) before scoliosis surgery. I think the scoli surgery itself can put pressure on your neck, during the long operation, and it is dangerous if you have neck problems. Plus, recovery can put additional pressure on your neck. So, if it were me (and it may be!), I would definitely take care of the neck first.

Can you postpone your back surgery so that it is after the holidays?

Best wishes,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this complication La Shawn. Sounds like the surgeon wants to make your spinal correction as safe as possible.

I know I'm being a pain saying this, but given how much pain you're in, it's only "one" holiday. You'll have plenty of other holidays to come which will make up for this one spent taking care of yourself. I know, easy for me to say, but that's the way I'd look at it. Best of luck with your decision.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

re:

You are right Jen it's only one holiday. Today I am feeling better about this whole second surgery thing.

I will be scheduling my neck surgery for the next available day.

I am so emotional right now...because I really feel the support this group has offered me. Thank you all for responding.
          LaShawn Hardy
          34 years old
          Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
          36 degree curve Thoratic
          Lumbar natural fusion
          Surgery Date 1/31/2011
          T2-L1
          Dr. Herkowitz
          Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
          hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

Comment

Sometimes it takes a few days to just come to terms with what our surgeons recommend. I'm glad that today you're feeling better about it. <thumbs up>
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X