1 1/2 yrs post op/ongoing muscle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2 yrs post op/ongoing muscle issues

Haven't been on here in so long. I hope that everyone is doing well. Just a question, can't say it's quick. Is there anyone that even at almost 1 1/2 years post op still has or had extreme muscles issues? I am doing physical therapy, gaston technique(not fun) and massages as well as cardio/stretching. I am off narcotics but am taking Tramadol and muscles relaxers and the doc wants me to try Lyrica. What in the world do I need to do to get over this hump!?!?!?! Also, if anyone has tried Lyrica are you happy with it, unhappy, any weight gain?

Thanks!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan,

I'm unclear what you mean by muscle issues--are you talking about muscle atrophy or are you still having a lot of pain? I haven't had surgery yet, but thought some of those on "the other side" might have the same question.

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Susan-

I am only 13 weeks post-op but have had severe muscle issues right after my back surgery to correct my scoliosis. At week 2 my neck basically collapsed (due to muscle atrophy). My chin was literally resting on my chest for like 5 weeks and it is finally looking straight ahead after weeks of physical therapy. Now for the past 2 weeks I am having severe pain in my left shoulder. I have a dr appointment this Friday. My therapist said my left shoulder dropped due to muscular atrophy and now my shoulder is just pressing on nerves (that's why I am having so much nerve pain). Just can't believe I got back surgery and feel no pain in the back but have muscle issues in the neck and shoulder! And I am only 31 years old and always stayed physically fit, so I'm not sure why I am having these issues with muscle atrophy.

Just wondering what muscles are you talking about? What levels are you fused from? Have you had any shoulder problems??

Hope you get some relief soon. Keep us posted.

JenM
      Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
      Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
      Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
      Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
      31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Lyrica is for nerve pain. It's actually an anti-seizure medicine similar to Neurontin, but for some reason it works well for many people for nerve pain. I've never heard of it being prescribed for muscle pain.

My husband took Lyrica for couple of years, for chronic pain unrelated to scoliosis. He stopped it for a variety of reasons, but he did say it helped some for his nerve pain. It is sedating for some, stimulating for others. It could certainly make you tired and gain weight.
        Stephanie, age 56
        Diagnosed age 8
        Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
        Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
        Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
        Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
        Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
        Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Mojo's Mom-

What nerve pain medication are you currently on? Just wondering as I have been on a few for the past year (both pre and post-op surgery) and haven't found any relief with them.

Comment

Susan--
            I was just about 15 days ahead of you. I'm not exactly sure what your muscle issues are but the top half of my back always feel very tight--more as the day goes on. By evening if I've done much at all I can feel in shoulder and left neck area a real burning. I still exercise all the time but doesn't affect it one way or the other. (Just had my first Zumba class tonight--fun but I don't do the jumpy stuff.) I wish I were taking those meds so I could blame weight gain on them. Anyone have one that takes the weight off? If there is one, I'm sure that is the problem I have & I need it. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Doodles-

There is a nerve pain drug that I was on last year called Topamax. A highly rated neurologist in New York City put me on that for the foot pain I was having which was related to my sciatic nerve coming off of my back. I ended up losing alot of weight from it. When I asked him about it, he said some doctors prescribe it to patients who need to lose weight. Then I looked it up on the internet and confirmed that some drs indeed to prescribe it for patients to lose weight. It totally took away my appetite!!! I even stopped drinking soda completely because it tasted so bad.

JenM

Comment

i don't eat much on hydrocodone...
                and i lost another 9 pounds while on oxycontin...morphine just plain makes me throw up! i quit oxy because i went down to 87 pounds!

topamax is listed for epilepsy! sounds kinda extreme to me...

jess
                Last edited by jrnyc; 09-09-2010, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Hi Susan, long time no see. I'm so sorry you have ongoing issues, wish I could help but I really don't have any answers. Is it muscle spasms that you're having or muscle atrophy? Or is it muscular pain?

A friend of mine had continued pain long after her shoulder surgery and she apparently had a condition called RSD. In the end (after three years and three operations) she was put on some epilepsy medication which made her brain realise the shoulder was healed and it didn't need to hurt any more. It worked, but it has various side-effects when you start taking it and it did cause her to gain a little weight. But she says it's better than the constant pain. Not sure if it's the same thing you have though.

I do hope you get some relief soon!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X