Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brenda Ross-worried about her

Hi,
    Has anyone else been following "Barleygirl" (Brenda Ross) on her Care Pages? According to her husband's posts, they knew her surgery was going to be life threatening. It was done in stages. A few days ago she was in critical condition, but has stabalized. They think there has been some paralysis, but don't know if it's temporary or not. They haven't wanted her to "wake up" yet. Her surgery was Aug. 31st. I just tried to add the link to her Care Pages and it didn't work. I got it from a previous post from her husband on this forum. I am really worried about her as an internet "scoli friend." Please keep her in your thought and prayers.
    Thanks!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Hi Karen,

I just went in and checked, and it looks like she's slightly improving. The last few day's posts are:

19 - September 05, 2010 at 09:00 PM MST
    Not much change today. Brenda is stable. The nurse says it will be a couple more days before she is awake. Brenda & I knew this would be tough & that she would be sedated for some days. Thank you again for all the support . Everyone has been wonderful.
    18 - September 04, 2010 at 09:00 PM MST
    I just had another talk with Brenda's nurse. Many vitals are experiencing a positive change. There is no fever, hence no infection at this point. I am much more optimistic now than I was this morning. If she'll continue to progress, we'll beat this thing (I think they call that redundant). We have a long way to go, but I have more hope now than the past 24-36 hours. Thanks again for the tremendous support. I find it interesting that the great improvement has taken place on the first Sunday of the month.

Comment

I too am concerned and sending her best wishes and prayers. I guess she didn't want to open her Care Pages to the whole forum but I hope those of you with the web address will keep us abreast.

THanks.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I just went in using her link.

In her post, she gives a word to enter (which I don't know recall) to locate her page.

Comment

I hadn't realised Brenda was in for such a torrid time - sounds like it was expected? Very scary for Brenda and her family. I hope she has the best possible outcome after this difficult start. Hope someone can keep us updated.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

She will be in my prayers tonight.
            Shari

Comment

She will be in my prayers as well

Melissa

Comment

Brenda's care page

Brenda (barleygirl) had posted her carepage address in an earlier post:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...y+details+blog

You have to join the CarePage site first (it's free), then sign on to her page specifically. She gives the details in the thread linked above.

I am sure she can use all of our thoughts and prayers right now.
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I,too, didn't realize she was in for such an ordeal. Good wishes and prayers for her. Please keep us posted.
                  Age 56
                  Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                  Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                  Thoracic 68
                  Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                  Dr Bridwell St Louis
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
                    I,too, didn't realize she was in for such an ordeal. Good wishes and prayers for her. Please keep us posted.
                    I am sure they knew it was risky - more than average, by the sound of it - but it sounds from her Blog, that this was nothing anyone had foreseen in any way shape or form. How frightening! I wonder if she is conscious but unable to respond. I wish we knew more.

I certainly hope at least she is NOT feeling pain in that apparent coma. It sounds so mysterious. Poor Brenda and her loving family! What a shock. Wishing them all courage and strength - and above all, a happy outcome! I'm glad she is in that terrific neurological institute.
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

22 - September 06, 2010 at 09:00 PM MST

The improvement continues. Brenda has an infection, so we must glove and gown. She's opening her eyes, but no really responding yet. Any improvement is wonderful.
                      Poor thing! She is apparently slowly continuing to improve. I just read through her ordeal and am so thankful that she has such a lovely husband and family to help her through this.

God bless Brenda and her husband.

Comment

Just read the care pages again. I don't think she's in a coma. It sounds like they intentionally sedated her for several days following surgery--like they did to TiEd. She's also still intubated, so she can't talk. She is fighting infection and pneumonia, so it sounds like she could definitely use all of our prayers. Ughh, this just makes me sick to my stomach. Brenda, if someone can read this to you, know that you have a whole crew of people out here thinking of you and praying for you!!! Hang in there.

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Yesterday's report from husband

"It is late Wednesday afternoon. Brenda continues to fight infection and pneumonia. She was a bit more alert today, moving her arms and answering some questions with a nod. She is still intubated so we cannot communicate at all. This will be a very long recovery. "
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

OH gosh...my thoughts are with her & her family,,,just curious about the pneumonia is this something that can happen from surgery or ?
                            Kelly
                            mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
                            Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
                            Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
                            Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
                            Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
                            scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
                            Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Brenda and her family are in my prayers

Melissa

Comment