Exercise Equipment for Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise Equipment for Home

After my surgery, I will plan to "hitch" a ride to the Y to walk their nice indoor track, but will need to do more walking at home, also. Since I will be recovering during the winter, I am thinking about buying a treadmill. I have a Nordic Track Manual Walkfit Treadmill, but I know it will be too difficult to use following surgery. I'm thinking about trying to find an electric treadmill. I'm also thought about a recumbent bike, but that would require sitting, so that probably wouldn't be as good. I want to have everything in place in advance. If you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated. Aslo, were you allowed to use a treadmill fairly soon after surgery or did that have to wait until you started physical therapy?
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

My surgeon wanted me walking daily beginning the day I got home from the hospital for at least 30 minutes. In the beginning, it didn't have to be in one session. He also said NO TREADMILL for the first 6 weeks. The last thing they want is you to fall off at that point in recovery. At my 6 week checkup he cleared me to use my treadmill and also to start physical therapy. There, among other things, they had me on a treadmill, an arm/leg bike (both at the same time or seperately) and a total gym (for the legs only.)

It's great that you're setting everything up ahead of time.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I would speak to your doctor about what he wants you to use

Melissa

Comment

Ditto what Melissa said. When I first got out of the hospital they had PT come to my home to do very mild things... all of which you didn't need any equipment for other than the red stretchy band they provided. After my surgeon allowed me to have PT at 6 months for leg and arm strengthening only, I did some online searching for treadmills and decided on a Cardio-zone one based on the reviews I'd read. Medium (but expensive to me) priced, but built to last. Their starting pace is 1.0 mph, so very slow. That might convince a surgeon to let you walk on a treadmill if you stand upright, hang on tightly to the handles, and use the clip-on device that causes it to shut off if you happen to lose your balance and pull loose. And since Debbei mentioned hers, I also bought a total gym that was one of the rehab models, because I had used one during my PT and really thought it was great. I had used it for doing squats. Your back is on a glide board that goes up and down, so it is not stressed at all. The one at PT and the one I bought had the capability of adding weights to it, which my P. therapist thought was really important (when he knew I was in the market for one) for improving my leg strength. He really laid it on me with the difference of what I thought was leg strength (could walk a lot before surgery, etc.) which is really endurance... and strength, which is totally different. I'm afraid that since I've been back to work I haven't used mine much although I have the best of intentions. BTW, I bought mine off craig's list... Of course, they are for doing lots of different exercises, most of which we (or me) can't do. You have seen lots of cheaper type models on infomercials advertised by Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley... But that would be a long way off/down the road for you, but an interesting piece of equipment should you need one. My legs got really weak after surgery for some reason. Here's a link if you're wondering what the heck one is:

http://www.efisportsmedicine.com/reh...-gym-14000.htm

You're supposed to be able to work almost all of your muscles if you do the full workout on one.

Again, definitely talk to your doctor before you spend big bucks buying very much equipment. After my PT, all I ended up with were the treadmill, the total gym, various bands, one of those big swiss balls, those hand weights (dumbbells?) ranging from 3 lbs. to 10 lbs. (I worked my way up) and ankle weights--4 sets of 5 lb ones, but you can take some of weights out. I don't remember how much I did on those. I just remember that I wanted my life back. I had to take a whole year off from my job at school because I was too weak, and I worked diligently, like 5 days a week, doing my PT at home to get strong. That from an "older lady" who has never worked out. It made me laugh just thinking about it. And proud too. Me pumping iron.
        I guess it depends on what you want to settle for in life. I am not like Ti Ed skiing and doing who knows what, but I can do a whole lot more than I used to and I look like a normal person to most people, except when I drop something on the floor....

This is too long, but I'm trying to say something to others too, I guess. To answer your question the quick way-- I think most doctors don't want you walking on a treadmill. Check and see. By winter, it will probably be ok. Sorry to have gone on so long. I get wordy...
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My legs are very weak as well.

Why is that?

Melissa

Comment

The surgery just zaps the strength out of some of us... and right now I think all the "healing" is going to your back, where it needs to go. Eat healthily, do your walking, and when the time is right, see if you can do leg strengthening exercises. You could probably do a few easy things though. A simple one you can probably do right now is to just stand on a step, holding on to the rail, and let your heels drop a little below the step. Then raise your heels up so you're standing on the balls of your feet. Repeat. That's a good stretcher and good for your calves. Or do gentle semi squats, going just part way down, holding onto the counter or table or something. I certainly wouldn't try doing anything much though and not very many, unless your doctor says to go for it.

I listed a bunch of arm and leg strengthening exercises in a post awhile back... But they were for people longer out of surgery. I think. When was your surgery?
            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

My surgery was May the 4th . My doctor does not want me to do anything at this point in time except to walk. He does not want me to go to PT. I am having problems with my neck and pain on my left side .

Melissa

Comment

Melissa -- that is fine. Just do what your doctor says. My doctor also did not have me do any PT. At my 5 month appointment, when we talked about me going back to what I consider a rather rigorous job at an elementary school, I explained that I was too weak to do it. I said I would need to be able to do this and that, etc. And he said "just do it" and I said I can't, I'm too weak. THEN we set things up for me to have PT at 6 months, but only for legs and arms. He wouldn't allow any core strengthening till 11 months. Your surgeon has your best interest in mind and doesn't want anything to interfere with the fusion process or your healing. There will be time later for strengthening. Next time you go in to see him, explain your weakness to him. In the meantime, just walk and take care of yourself.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X