I have a new surgery date 10/25/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a new surgery date 10/25/10

My scoli surgery has been scheduled for 10/25. I am still recovering from the cervical fusion and some days, I wonder how I can face the big surgery.

Ed, I was removed from the cervical collar last Wednesday, about 3.5 weeks post op. (sorry for the slow reply)

My neck is still very stiff and I do experience some strange sensations in the neck and back. I am not going through any of the pain that you all are going through with the major spinal surgery, but I feel like I am going through a mini trial.

I cannot move my neck much from side to side so I am not yet driving. I hope to drive a bit before my surgery on 10/25.

For those of you new to my thread, my doc decided to fix the significant stenosis in my neck to make my scoli surgery safer. I am grateful for that.

I am facing a long fusion and I must say that I am so frightened and sad, especially after going through this cervical procedure.

I do find this forum so supportive. I read about the good and bad, but I find all of you such brave souls in this challenging world of scoli surgery. Your collective faith and optimism helps me face the months ahead.

For those of you that are going through the pain of surgery and went into it as a preventative measure, bravo to you. I wish I had done so before reaching the horrible levels of pain that I face now.

I so appreciate the Ed's, Linda's, Susie's (the list goes on and on) that have provided me with great insight into what I will face through the minutes, hours, days, weeks and years to come.

I wish you all, no matter what stage you are going through, a wonderful recovery.

Someone sent me a card today that said: In hard times we have learned 3 things- we're stronger than we ever realized, our spiritual beliefs are closer than we ever realized, and we're loved more than we ever knew.

Take care of yourselves and know that you are loved very much.

My thoughts, good wishes and hope for speedy recoveries are with you all.

Chris
    Chris, Austin, TX
    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Hi Chris,
    Yes you probably did have a mini trial run w/ your neck surgery. It's amazing how strong we are. We have spent a good portion of our adult lives in silent pain to begin with. You know you're about to get rearranged and it's going to hurt for a while, the drugs are pretty good though, but keep in your mind as often as possible, that the pain will lessen, your life will be extended, you'll learn to do things differently, and it will be worth the battle.

I think our lives have been rough, to make us strong enough to get through this step, and be proud of it. Remember that no one could possibly understand what you are going through unless they've been there. This forum will be here for you on your good and bad days.

All the best to you and yours,
    Shari

Comment

Good luck to you Chris,

I think that everyone is frightened before a surgery like this. Make sure you are good to yourself in this period before your surgery. I'm sorry you had to have one other procedure first, but like you said, if it makes the big one safer, it was for the best.

Be sure to stick around and ask any questions. So many of us have been there.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Chris,

I was fused T2-Pelvis 7 months ago. The recovery has been frustrating at times, but the results are soooo worth it!! Hang in there and good luck when you have the next surgery!!! A positive attitude is key!

Jen

Comment

Working...
        X