Debra JGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra JGL

This is Debra's husband, she asked me to post her results after surgery. Dr. Boachie just let me know that everything went very well. I think he said he fused T-3 to T-12 but I think the only thing I really heard is that she's fine and she can wiggle 10 toes. Anyway thank God and Dr. Boachie...
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Hi Debra's husband,

Thanks for posting an update on Debra. Be sure to give her our love and good wishes.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
      she's fine and she can wiggle 10 toes. ...
      Almost like a newborn baby.
      And it IS kind of being born again, isn't it?
      How lovely!
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Glad to hear Debra's good news, thankyou Debra's husband! Hope you'll keep us up to date on her progress. Take care of yourself too - this takes its toll on partners.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Great news! Please tell her I send my best. Way to go! Lynn
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Tell Debra that we are all thinking of her and glad her surgery went well.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks so much for posting, I was thinking about Debra all day! So glad to hear she made it through fine!! Spoke to her yesterday and I told her she's in great hands with Dr. B. Keep us posted.

JenM
              Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
              Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
              Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
              Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
              31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

So happy to hear that Debra is now in the recovery phase. My first conscious thought post surgery was also to wiggle my toes...it's a great feeling. Each day will get better from here.
                Kathy
                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
                  So happy to hear that Debra is now in the recovery phase. My first conscious thought post surgery was also to wiggle my toes...it's a great feeling. Each day will get better from here.
                  Me too. I could hear my partner nearby (couldn't open my eyes, they were swollen shut) and I whispered, "I can wriggle my toes!"

Debra, I hope you're doing ok, feeling better every day.

Comment

So good to hear Debra's surgery went well. Thanks for posting.
                    Glenda
                    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                    Pleased with outcome

Comment

I Heard from Debra JGL

Last night I received an email from Debra that she is home and doing as well as expected at this early stage of recovery. She was released from the hospital last Monday and said she was very well taken care of and glad to be home. When she feels up to it I'm sure she'll be posting but wanted to let everyone know she's "on the other side now". LYNN
                      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                      2000 Partial Rod Removal
                      2001 Right Scapular Resection
                      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks for the update Lynn. I was thinking about her, and hoping things were going well
                        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                        T54/L72
                        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                        Gained 2 inches!
                        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for keeping me in you prayers. I can't tell you enough how much the people in the forum gave me the support and information I needed to have the emotional and mental fortitude to get through surgery and beyond. The first 10 days were very rough for me, but the past few days I feel I've really turned a corner. I keep knocking on wood and my head because I know there are ups and downs to recovery, but for today I feel good. I was very emotional the week before surgery, worried about the many negative consequences that could occur. But, I always came back to that I felt this was the right thing for me and things would only get worse if I did nothing, and I had done all I could to minimize negative consequences. I felt pretty calm and resolved the day before and the day of surgery (I was at my daughter's back to school night the night before and could even understand what they were saying). 13 days ago we arrived in Manhattan for the surgery. As I was being prepped for surgery (in a room overlooking the East River - that was a nice touch) I almost passed out from the original IV they put in my arm - I think it was just stress. The anesthesthesiologist came in and asked if I wanted something to relax me before surgery, after a quick yes and something in my IV - that was the last thing I remember before waking up in the PACU (like intensive care). When I woke up I just kept saying I'm so happy and was crying tears of joy. The surgeon said everything went really well. The next day is when the pain set in, and I hit that pain pump alot. It was very painful for me to get in and out of bed. I remember screaming when they tried to get me back into bed, the logrolling wasn't coming easily. I finally figured out I could get in one side easier and out the other easier, so that helped. But those first few days I have never felt to helpless. I did have a nurse's aid overnight the first two nights, and it was really worth it. Sometimes she was sleeping and other times she talked alot, but still I was very comforted with her being there. My roommate was great, considering the condition we were in we had great conversations (probably the pain meds kicking in). She did snore at night, but my nurse's aid found me some earplugs. The ride home from NY was painful, but we just stopped a few times along the way. When I got home I couldn't get up and down the stairs very easily and I couldn't get in and out of the bed without alot of help from my husband. So, we got a hospital bed for downstairs (yeah! they just took it out today). I only needed it for a couple of days and then the kids got to enjoy it a heck of alot more than I did. My back hurt so much in so many places, I had trouble finding an icepack that worked. Frozen peas and green beans in the bag worked best for a while. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat those veggies again. I was in so much pain when I got home the first several days, I could barely get from room to room without being winded and would count down until I could take more pain meds, it was a very scary time. I did end up going to the family doctor just to check the insicion - my husband felt like he had no idea what he was looking for as far as infection or to correctly change to dressing. I have to say I haven't much in the way of pre or post surgery help through the doctors office (of course I'm still love my doctor though), so we just wanted to touch base with a healthcare professional that was happy to spend time with us. I'm glad we did it. I believe my fusion was from t4 - t12, and had a 50% correction in my thoracic down to about 35deg. I'll know more at my first followup appt. in October. I gained about an inch and I have a waist! My rib hump's barely there either. I didn't do this for the cosmetic reason, but my husband said my figure looks great. I already feel like I'm breathing better. My rib has lifted off my hip on one side. I had a hoarseness and post nasal drip before surgery (that the ear,nose and throat doc said he believed was due to my esophogus getting pressed by my curved spine and allowing acid up to my throat) that has disappeared since surgery. My husband and kids have been great, picking up after me, my son learned how to make his first dish, an egg muffin sandwich and even my 17 year old cat caught a mouse in the kitchen (something she hasn't done for 10 years). Well, I do have aches and pains and concerns, but for now I wanted to let you all know I doing pretty well and feeling very grateful. Thank you again! Love, Debra
                          Debra
                          Age 45
                          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                          Fused T4-T12
                          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Debra--
                            I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you may have passed the roughest stretch and now you can begin to really recover. Just take it slow and easy. That was such an interesting post and I can't believe you could write all of that so soon. Congratulations!! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congrats Debra! Sounds like you're over the worst of it. Just take it easy, one day at a time and when you're feeling up to it, let us know how you're going.

PS I remember that relief upon waking up to find it was all over. Quite overwhelming!

Comment

Working...
                              X