embrassed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• embrassed

i been getting extra attention from my PE teacher lately for some unkowned reason probley because when he asked me qeustions about my health it was weird. because he asked if there was something that they need to no about keeping me safe. then i said well there one thing i recently had major spine surgery. he was really shocked. That probley why i'm getting so much attenion from him
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

It's important that he knows these things Kara, so he doesn't push you to do anything you shouldn't. Do you carry some photos of your befores/afters? I think it's a good idea.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi kennedy,

I'm really surprised that your PE teacher hasn't been informed of your major surgery. Where we live, all students have to fill out a health form which is given to the school nurse, who then lets the teachers know of any concerns or special considerations. I think they ask about orthopedic issues specifically and probably surgeries too. I suddenly remember that you are in college, so it may work differently there.

I'm really glad you told him about your surgery. It really is important he knows about that. Make sure you let other PE teachers know in the future, also. Oh, by the way, there is absolutely NO reason to be embarrassed!
      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Kara,

You are in college, and you are now an adult who is responsible for informing the people who need to know about your condition. There is nothing to be embarassed about regarding your surgery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I agree with Debbe...you as an adult are responsible for your own health and making sure you don't do anything in PE that would be outside any restrictions your surgeon may still have for you. You had your surgery just a week prior to mine it looks like. My surgeon still has me under some limited lifting, bending, and twisting restrictions and there are certain exercises that I still am not allowed to do yet...I am certain your PE instructor is just concerned about your safety. Don't be embarrassed. I remember not wanting to be singled out in class either, I was shy. It sounds like you are doing well, keep up the good work! BTW, my daughter's name is Kara too :-)))
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

thank guys i was just really confussed
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Working...
            X