Prescription insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription insurance

do any of you have any information on a place i could get supplemental prescription insurance? Ive had a discount plan for the last few years, which hardly covers anything, and this past may i was finally able to get medical insurance. the only problem is i never realized that plan only coveres $750 a year for prescriptions. The skelaxin i take costs like $275 each fill, so it didnt take long to hit $750. my surgery is in 2 1/2 weeks, and i really dont want to have to pay full price for whatever they put me on after surgery.

Any info. would help! Thanks!
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Mike, I've suffered in prescription hell for ten years w/ a BCBS plan that pays max $3K/yr. OF THE COMPANY'S OUT OF POCKET! A drop in the bucket for anything much (fear of needing chemotherapy has been my great bogeyman).

One thing I've noticed about my policy though, is that meds in hospital (PT too FWIW) are covered without it applying to my separate med coverage.
    Maybe yours are too.

What's more, most pharma co's offer some reduced or free med availability even for pts who have SOME medication coverage. This only kicks in once you've exhausted your med benefit (and the paperwork can be a royal PIB) but it can be a great saving! Sometimes there are also income requirements. Searching online isn't that hard - by med, by state, by company...

Good luck on finding separate med policies! Ain't no such thing - only those gimmicky ones that pretend to be a discount card. (And what trifling discounts, they offer... ) These guys ARE for-profit corps. still. Maybe you can get something through an employer or a state hi-risk pool. Soon sign ups under open enrollment may be available - and say, aren't there supposed to be some kinds of doings under Obama? Exchanges and whatnot?

They are obligated to meet minimal standards (unlike my sleazy BCBS plan which to all intents and purposes has left me uninsured for so long, re meds! )
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Mike,
      I'm not any help about the drug insurance, but as far as pain meds after surgery, most are generic and cost very little ($10.00 or less). I hope this helps a little.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I don't have any info at all about your prescription question, but I've been thinking of you, and wondering if you've learned anything new about your surgical plan.

Take care,

Gayle
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I do want to echo that Pain pills are very cheap

Melissa

Comment

Working...
          X