Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far were you walking?

Hi,
    Tomorrow, I will be at 4 weeks post-op. I am curious about the distance others were able to walk at this post-op point. On my best days, I think that I am only walking about a 1/2 mile (broken into 4 outside walks).

I had heard somewhere that I "should" be walking 1 mile/day the first month, 2 miles/day the 2nd month, 3 miles/day the 3rd month, etc. Were others able to accomplish this?

It just seems that my legs and hips feel so weak after I walk about 200 yards that I need to rest. I wonder if this is due to the pelvic fixation?

Thanks!
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

I am going to be 4 month on September 4th and I would say that broken up that I am doing 2 miles now. So just do the best you can .

Melissa

Comment

Hi Kathy,
      I really don't remember how far I was walking by 1 month, but I doubt it was more than 1/2 mile. I know for sure I never got beyond 2 miles at any time. Just take your time and listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. You will get there. Everyone is different and every Doctor is different. I would say push yourself a little bit, but not a lot.
      Take care and get lots of rest. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I too worried as some on here were walking so far so early. I am a little over 4 1/2 months and I can walk about 1 1/2 miles at one time. This is quite slow though. It will take me about 25-30 min for a mile. My lower back still stiffens up a lot. I am back to work part-time now, but I wish I could walk a mile morning and night. Work wears me out though.
        I found you just do what you can do and your body will tell you more or less.
        At one month I know I was not doing a mile yet.
        Just keep moving.
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Kathy, my surgery was quite similar to yours and it did take time to build up my walking. I'd say just do as much as you can do....my lower back is really the only issue I have now as it does get a bit sore when I walk, but not so much that I can't deal with it. I walk a little more than 2 miles every other day and 3 miles from time to time. I really don't have any issues with walking and have been trying to speed up every week...at this point I get my 2 miles complete in a bit under 40 minutes which is a big improvement from where I started after surgery.

You're still very early on in your recovery, just take your time and do what you can....everybody progresses differently.

Nitram
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
          X