muscle mass in my back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muscle mass in my back

I continue to have some discomfort (I am glad that I have my 1 yr follow-up appt w/my surgeon on Thurs), so I asked my husband to feel my back. I laid on my stomach (that doesn't feel good) and he was surprised to find that I have no muscle mass in my back. He said all he could feel was metal and ribs. Is this how it is w/everyone?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Hi MGS,

You must be thin. My Doctor told me from the start that because I was thin, that some of the hardware may be seen and/or felt. I do have 1 screw that you can see through my skin. I am so proud of my battle scars, I love seeing grown men turn pale, and you have a small reminder of how strong you are, physically and mentally. I'm 5 years post, T-1 to L-5. I think it was at least 2 years before I started to get the muscle back.

Right now don't lay on your stomach, lay on your back and have him rub your software.

Stay strong, It just keeps getting better,
    Shari

Comment

I'm right there with you on this one. I lost a lot of weight after my surgery. Part was from a pregnancy and the rest was muscle mass. I have struggled to keep my weight at around 120. I used to be a body builder so people are not use to seeing me with no muscle so I hear about it all the time. I After your visit please let us know what the Doc has to say about this. Do you have any pain that's different now vs what you had those first few months after surgery?
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Shari;107496]Hi MGS,

I am so proud of my battle scars, I love seeing grown men turn pale, and you have a small reminder of how strong you are, physically and mentally.

Sheri,

Nicely put. I have male friends that could see the scare this summer while I was wearing tanks and they were startled at the length of the scar. People truly have no idea what this surgery really entails.
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X