Update & Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update & Questions

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm beginning to feel better finally. I'm still having back spasms every once in a while, but for the most part they are gone. I've been getting more sleep during the night and that has been the biggest factor in my recovery. I'm a total witch if I don't get my sleep!

As for the surgery details, I was fused from T1-L2 which is one more than I was originally told and one less than Dr. Vora thought at my pre-op appointment. I sat in a chair the day after surgery with no problems and walked down the hall/stairs on day 3. I did encounter a couple problems while I was in the hospital though. First, my drain hose/pump stopped working the day after surgery. There was a lot of leaking and it eventually pulled out on it's own. Then, I ended up having my period right after the surgery... as if I needed anymore pain! It was ridiculous! However, it was worth the trouble as my x-rays looked amazing when I went for my 2 week post-op. I forgot to ask what % of correction I got. I'll post when I receive the report.

Now, as for my questions:
    1. I know my back is suppose to feel numb, but when does that stop?
    2. Is it normal for the incision to heal in the middle first?
    3. When does the stiffness stop after being in one position for a while (i.e. sleeping)?
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Hi Tiffany, Well I can't answer any of the post op questions, but I wanted to let you know it's great to hear you're feeling better! And I'm so happy that you're really pleased with you correction. Sorry though for the unfortunate events at the hospital, it sounds like it was scary with what happened to your drain hose, I'm so glad it all worked out. I've heard to it's common to get your period after surgery, but you're right, just one more painful thing to deal with. I'm waiting for mine now, so I'm hoping it will come and go before surgery (and hopefully not come back right after). Good luck with your continuuing recovery!
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Hi Tiffany, good to hear you're feeling much better.

Now, as for my questions:
      1. I know my back is suppose to feel numb, but when does that stop?
      My lower back and buttocks on the right side are still numb 17 months post op. My surgeon told me that if it's not back to normal within 12 months, it probably won't change much. Therefore, no guarantees!

2. Is it normal for the incision to heal in the middle first?
      Sorry, can't answer this, mine seemed to heal equally along the length.

3. When does the stiffness stop after being in one position for a while (i.e. sleeping)?

This is probably something that's different for everyone. For me, the stiffness eased gradually over the first 4-5 weeks.

Make sure you walk every day Tiffany, I'm sure that will help ease any stiffness, plus help you feel better every day. Good luck!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Tiffany,
        I am 10 weeks out and by back is still numb to the touch. Stiffness still occurs as well when in any position too long.
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Tiffany - Great to hear you're doing so well and pleased with your results. Keep us posted on your progress. I'll keep watching for answers to your questions as I may have some of the same ones after next week!
          Age 56
          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
          Thoracic 68
          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
          Dr Bridwell St Louis
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Great to hear that things are improving for you, Tiffany. I am at 7/12 months post-op, still have some numbness and still get stiff if I am in one position for too long. I am pretty much back to normal activity, but am still really stiff when I get out of bed. Keep walking and moving as much as possible, even if it's just for short pds. of time. Best wishes to you!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Glad you are doing so well Tiffany! I am still numb all along my incision from my revision, and the numbness never eased up from my initial surgery either. There are spots on my hips, thighs, and butt and upper back that are still numb too. But not bothersome. I still get stiff when sitting or lying in the same position for a long period of time. Its all good....
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Tiffany,
                I'm glad you're feeling better.
                Lisa,
                Good luck on the 31st. I'll be thinking about you.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks for asking the questions, Tiffany. My back and tush are definitely still numb also.

I was wondering if others have some swelling at the incision site. My incision is kind of "humped up". I also still have abdominal swelling from the surgery? Do you?
                  Kathy
                  46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                  71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                  8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                  http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Yes, in my photos at 11 weeks, the swelling at the top and bottom of my rods is still evident.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have quite a bit of abdominal swelling... so much that it makes me cry and question why I did this. I then have to back up and remind myself that it will get better. I only hope that I fit into my pants when I go back to work...
                      Tiffany K
                      I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                      4'11", never braced
                      Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                      T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Working...
                      X