Eating the day prior to surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating the day prior to surgery

Last summer, when I awoke from general anesthesia following a non-scoli surgery, I was extremely nauseous. Looking back, I think the culprit may have been a larger-than-usual dinner the night before. My husband and I went out to eat, and you know the tendency to eat more than you should at a nice place!

I’m thinking of having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at lunchtime the day before my surgery next week and not eating dinner! I don’t want a repeat!

Also, the pre-op instructions say nothing by mouth after midnight, but I did read on one website: nothing by mouth after 5 p.m. for a morning surgery.

Any advice?

Best,
    Brenda

diagnosed age 13: no treatment
    47 degree thoracic
    85 degree thoracolumbar
    surgery scheduled for Aug. 30 and Sept. 2
    A/P T-1 to pelvis with osteotomies & cages: proposed

Originally posted by barleygirl View Post
    Last summer, when I awoke from general anesthesia following a non-scoli surgery, I was extremely nauseous. Looking back, I think the culprit may have been a larger-than-usual dinner the night before. My husband and I went out to eat, and you know the tendency to eat more than you should at a nice place!

I’m thinking of having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at lunchtime the day before my surgery next week and not eating dinner! I don’t want a repeat!

Also, the pre-op instructions say nothing by mouth after midnight, but I did read on one website: nothing by mouth after 5 p.m. for a morning surgery.

Any advice?

Best,
    Brenda
    Hi Brenda...

While your big meal may have been the culprit, it's actually more likely that it was the pain medication you got during and/or after surgery. Be sure to tell your anesthesia team that you've had previous nausea after surgery

At our hospital, patients are told nothing to eat after midnight, even for early AM surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

This was a major concern for me too. I shared this alot with all the doctors, nurses, anthesesiologists, anyone that would listen. I awoke w/o nauseau. They gave me a patch by my ear as I went into surgery and then put "stuff" in my IV. This area has come a long way. Please don't worry. I will say though I did eat lightly the day before too with the same thought.
      Good luck!!
      Shari - 55 years old
      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
      Post op 13 degree curve.
      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

My surgery is Aug 31 and my instructions for Aug 30 are clear liquids only including jello, console, popscicles powered, etc. Then nothing after midnight.
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

IIRC, the instructions with both kids were no eating/drinking within 12 hours of surgery.

I had emergency pelvic surgery and the first think I remember upon awakening was turning my head to throw up on the floor. It's the anesthesia. Very indelible memory that one. There is a reason for that rule.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, when I first woke up in the recovery room I told the nurse I felt nauseous and she put something in my IV, which took effect in what seemed like seconds. I was told to eat nothing but liquids the day/evening before surgery and as an added treat, was told to give myself an enema..
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I agree anaesthesia has come a long way. I remember having my appendix out at 15 and upon waking i vomited consistently even with the anti nausea drugs. I have had several ops since then and have woken up feeling ok. After my scoli op, my daughter said that back in my room, i didn't awake fully but i did mumble that i felt like i was going to be sick, at which point, they gave me Maxalon in my IV. My instructions were not to have anything after midnight and my surgery was scheduled at 8.30am. Best wishes, i am sure you will be fine.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                IIRC, the instructions with both kids were no eating/drinking within 12 hours of surgery.

I had emergency pelvic surgery and the first think I remember upon awakening was turning my head to throw up on the floor. It's the anesthesia. Very indelible memory that one. There is a reason for that rule.
                I always thought it was the anesthesia drugs until I talked to an anesthesiologist and length and we got it figured out. I think every patient is given narcotics during surgery, usually morphine, which a lot of people have a problem with.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Like Singer, I was told to give myself an enema the night before. They actually gave me the package at my pre-op visit. I wasn't limited as to what I could eat for dinner, but then no food or drink of any kind after the enema... I did not feel nauseous when I awoke from the surgery.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Brenda

When you go in, tell them you have been nauseous on a previous surgery, and they will add more antiemetics to the mix. It’s the anestesia that makes you vomit.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiemetics

I was kept under for a few days, then woke up with a NG tube. They keep the contents of your stomach cleared, so its not an issue at all. You wont vomit with this inserted.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ng_tube

I did a 2 day stage. You might ask (e-mail) if they will wake you after your anterior surgery. Some people they will wake up, some they wont. They woke me for 60 seconds for permission to continue with the 2nd surgery, then I woke up a few days later.....

Eat "normal meals". Follow your surgeons directions.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Brenda

When you go in, tell them you have been nauseous on a previous surgery, and they will add more antiemetics to the mix. It’s the anestesia that makes you vomit.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiemetics

I was kept under for a few days, then woke up with a NG tube. They keep the contents of your stomach cleared, so its not an issue at all. You wont vomit with this inserted.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ng_tube

I did a 2 day stage. You might ask (e-mail) if they will wake you after your anterior surgery. Some people they will wake up, some they wont. They woke me for 60 seconds for permission to continue with the 2nd surgery, then I woke up a few days later.....

Eat "normal meals". Follow your surgeons directions.

Ed
                      I ate the night before maybe around 8:00 or 9:00PM. Not too heavy though because I was so nervous.

I told my anesthesiologist that I had previous experiences with nausea and vomiting after minor procedures, so he gave me something, so afterwards, I had no problems whatsoever with nausea and vomiting.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I didn't worry too much about eating, accept nothing after 10pm. What I did do is drink 64oz of Gatorade the day before for good hydration so IV's and everything would be easier. Also tell EVERYONE you get nauseated and get plenty of Zofran!(which is a excellent anti-emetic) I tell this to EVERYONE before any procedure now and do fantastic.
                        Janet
                        Last edited by jsully; 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM.
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

to eat or not to eat: that is the question

Thank you so much, dear scoli friends, for your excellent advice and past experiences!!

I appreciate you!

Best,
                          Brenda

47 degree thoracic
                          85 degree thoracolumbar

Comment

LisaB, you asked me a question in one of the threads, but now I can't find which one! Maybe you'll read this one. . . .

You asked if I were having my surgery in Arizona. Yes, the location is Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. It's a wonderful facility.

My husband and I live in the mountains about 90 miles away, but we have kids and grandkids in the greater Phoenix area.

I'm off to the valley for my pre-op appointment at the hospital tomorrow!

Best,
                            Brenda

47 degree thoracic
                            85 degree thoracolumbar

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Brenda

I was kept under for a few days, then woke up with a NG tube.

Ed
                              Holly crap, Ed! I knew you had been through a lot, but I've never heard of being kept under for a FEW DAYS for any kind of surgery!!! Didn't even know that was possible (and to still wake up again!). Did they warn you about this ahead of time? Were there any side effects from all that anesthesia?

Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X