Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

constipation; am I taking too many pain meds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• constipation; am I taking too many pain meds?

Hi,

I had terrible, terrible constipation all yesterday and finally got relief after an enema last evening (never thought I would go to that extreme). I was given minimal direction on taking my meds and I am wondering if I am taking too many narcodic pain meds. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post-op for me.

I am currently taking one 10mg oxycontin in the morning and one at night (these seem to be slow release). During the day, I also take about 4 vicadin 5/325 spaced out about 1 every 4-5 hours.

I am also taking Senna plus (4 tablets per day) which is supposed to soften my stools ...NOT! Yesterday, I just started to take Miralax which I will take morning and evening until I see improvement in the constipation area.

Have others taken both oxycontin and vicadin in the same time period? Should I wean off of the vicadin during the day? Maybe replace it with tylenol?

Should I increase the Senna or Miralax? I am not taking any antibiodics. I defintely had minor rectal bleeding with the constipation. If there any risk of infection with that?

Thanks!
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Hi Kathy,

I took more narcotics than you and did great with Miralax and lots of water -- I think it's the best laxative around. Sometimes I took two capfulls a day with no bad effects. Stool softeners are a joke after this surgery -- generally didn't do a thing for me.

Not sure what to say about the bleeding issue..you can always check with your primary doc if you're worried.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I was also on more pain meds at 3 weeks. I didn't need the miralax or colace that they sent me home on because I was 1) drinking 8 oz prune juice every morning as soon as I woke up, 2) eating one of the high fiber cereals every day for breakfast (10 grams of fiber or more per serving) and 3) eating a 5 bean salad with my lunch every day. PLUS (don't laugh) I'd eat stewed prunes with plain yogurt. I had more than enough fiber to be able to go normally. Are you eating a high-fiber diet?

Of course everyone is different. I hope you find a combination that works for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks, Chris and Debbie!
        I'm so frustrated because I do feel that I am eating a high fiber diet, drinking tons of water, and walking. I have been eating prunes and I eat a high fiber cereal each morning. I have also been eating a lot of fruit and even spinach, which is high in fiber.

I guess this is a minor bump in the road, but it is quite painful when you're in the midst of it
        Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

I would take a stool softoner .

Melissa

Comment

Hi Kathy...

Everyone is different. Keep trying different things and hopefully you will find something that works well for you. If you do a search (see Search link above), on the word CONSTIPATION, you'll find plenty of different recommendations.

Hope you find something that works soon.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kathy,

I have struggled with this issue my whole life (hereditary) and it was even worse during my recovery. I used magnesium citrate and/or senna tea as a last resort. Both can make me pretty sick, so make sure you are planning to be home most of the day when you take them. Have you tried Citrucel? That worked well for me for a few months. I've also had success with flax seed oil, aloe vera juice, and milk or magnesia. Magnesium tablets have a laxative effect as well. I have literally tried just about everything, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope things get better!

Shell
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Kathy,

I'm taking different pain meds than you. I take 5/325mg of percocet every 6 hours and 5mg of flexeril three times a day. The percocet had me constipated really bad. I started taking a dose of miralax every morning and finally on day three things returned to normal. I was given a full unopened bottle of miralax almost exactly a year ago when my step-mom passed away. I rolled my eyes at my dad and said I'll never need it, but I'll keep it just in case. Thank goodness I caved in and brought it home!
                Tiffany K
                I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                4'11", never braced
                Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Hi Kathy,
                  You are going to get alot of replies about this topic To help with my constipation I drink 1 or 2 glasses of prune a day. Not the most appealing, but plug the nose and down the hatch. I also try to stay away from too much sugar. Stool softeners did not help me in the least. My constipation has gradually decreased now that I am down to 4 hydocodone a day. I was never on oxycontin but I imagine that those may be worse. Good luck with your situation.
                  Leanna
                  32 yrs. old
                  surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
                  90* pre-op
                  23* post-op

Comment

I had really bad constipation issues also at 3-5 weeks post-op. The thing that finally relieved the constipation was drinking 2 glasses of prune juice a day. I also took the milk of magnisium at night as well as Senna and a stool softener. I think the key was really the prune juice!!

Hope this helps!

JenM
                    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

OK, I'm sold! I'll ask my hubby to get some prune juice tomorrow! I'll add that to the "regime" and see what happens.
                      Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

Hi Kathy
                        We love when this topic comes up! Wait 'till Ed chimes in!

One question you asked was "am I taking too much pain medicine?" Only you can answer that - if what you're taking is working to keep your pain level under control, then it's not too much - it's just enough.

What you have to do is get that magic mix of ingredients that will work to relieve your constipation. I was doing okay with high fiber foods, water, prune juice or apricots and Senekot AM and PM,... until my second surgery when I came home on double the pain meds I had been on and let me tell you all I had been doing previously was not nearly enough! I was in a very, very scary place for a day or two... I called my PCP's nurse practitioner who suggested Miralax and between that and the umpteenth enema my hubby (yes, I married a swell guy!) gave me all was right with the world once again.... I continued taking the Miralax until I was off the pain meds.

I feel that perhaps surgeons don't do enough after care consulting - on the other hand I didn't really think that was my surgeon's job....I was in touch with my PCP office for those other after surgery complications that came up.

As for the rectal bleeding, if it isn't too much, it's probably just from surface capillaries - try using flushable wipes - kind of soothing for sore skin 'back there.' I don't think I'd worry too much about infection....but as Chris suggested, if you're worried about it you can always see your doctor.

Best wishes for a smoother recovery
                        Last edited by doodie; 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM.
                        Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                        Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                        Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                        A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                        Achieved +70% Correction
                        Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                        New Spine 03/19/2009
                        New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
                          OK, I'm sold! I'll ask my hubby to get some prune juice tomorrow! I'll add that to the "regime" and see what happens.
                          Those old grandmothers who recommened prune juice were right all along! I remember as a kid turning my nose up at it and I thought I'd never drink it, ever, but it really did the trick for me after my surgery. The nurses in the hospital told me to drink it first thing, on an empty stomach for best results.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have found the solution for opoid constipation! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieb5BPhy6jU

I've done so many posts on this topic!

Its truly amazing when some say, "Its been 9 days, am I constipated?" After 9 days, you do need a jackhammer.

Magnesium Citrate, Oral solution. Over the counter. Good to have on your shelf!
                            Drink water, and walk. Walking is SO important!

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Mag Citrate a must! Too soon to get off pain meds!
                              Janet
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X