X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions: intubation, osteotomies

Dear Friends,
    A couple of questions as I contemplate surgery:

1) My surgeon said I would be intubated during surgery because of some lung issues. Do you know if being intubated is common with spinal fusion? If you had it during surgery, did you have any particular problems with it?

2) I will have osteotomies in my fusion. Again, is this common? In Wolpert's book, he references them only in connection with revision surgery.

Just wondering here. . . .
    Brenda

diagnosed age 13: no treatment
    47 degree thoracic
    85 degree thoracolumbar
    surgery scheduled for Aug. 30 and Sept. 2
    A/P T-1 to pelvis with osteotomies & cages: proposed

Hi Brenda. I had both. I have no recollection of intubation, it was gone by the time I woke. I didn't even have a sore throat, which I was expecting.

I also had osteotomies, not sure of how many. I am pretty sure there are others here who have had osteotomies as well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Brenda,
      Endotracheal intubation is common during surgeries, especially under general anesthesia. It prevents anything from your stomach going into your lungs and it allows you to get the proper amount of oxygen and correct tidal volume (amount of air filling the lungs) that will help to prevent pneumonia later. It's generally safe with the main side effects being the tube is in the esphogas instead of the trachea; the tube is place in the right mainsteam bronchus and only inflating one lung and the teeth can be damaged. The equipment used today shows very easily the patient receiving oxygen so the first two aren't as dangerous as years ago. Most of the time the patient is extubated prior to waking. Occasionally, you may have a sore throat but not always. Hope that helps.
      Moxie
      Mom to Beth, 12 years old. On diagnosis: T-32, S-28; T-23 with boston brace. Initially, Beth was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylethesis. Now--spondylethesis is repaired; she rehabbing it. God has her in His hands. And, she's a GREAT kid.
      [/FONT]

Comment

My daughter had osteotomies as well. We were told by doing them it would give her a better correction.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I was surprised to read in my surgical report that I did have osteotomies. Dr Lenke had not said prior to surgery that he would do that. I did have a very rigid curve with a lot of arthritis. This was probably the only way he could achieve correction for me.

I don't know about intubation. I did not awake with a sore throat, although I had kind of expected to.
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Looking at my surgical report again, I see that I was intubated. I did not have a sore throat from it though or any side effects.

I also have a "boomerang" cage. Don't quite know what that is, but it makes me feel a little Australian :-).
            Kathy
            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

I was inbutationed during my surgury.

I throught everyone was

Melissa

Comment

Hi...

Scoliosis surgery could not be performed without the patient being intubated.

While osteotomies during primary scoliosis surgery are relatively uncommon, they aren't unheard of. As Kathy indicated, if the spine is stiff, the only way to produce good cosmetic results, or to get the patient balanced, is to do osteotomies.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Brenda-- I had two osteotomies done with my initial surgery. I'm assuming they might have had something to do with the lateral listhesis (side shifting/stair-stepping) of L2/L3 vertebrae that was nearby, but I don't know for sure. Best wishes!

If you want to see what the lateral listhesis is, then click on the link below my signature, where it says x-ray pics. Right now it's not working quite right, so when the pictures don't pop right up once you get there, look to the left and click on "pics of scoli x-rays". These old photos of x-rays show it better than the nice digital x-rays, because my doctor marked these up. The second x-ray (2006) shows it best. It makes you think a big shove would have been enough to knock them off! (not really)
                  Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jamie's surgeon's recommendation was: "She would need in addition to a posterior spinal fusion, posterior Smith-Peterson osteotomies to shorten in a relative sense the posterior column to achieve improved correction." In his surgical report under indications it read: "We had recommended doing Smith-Peterson osteotomies to help correct posterior her kyphotic deformity unable to use pedical screw fixation due to the narrowed pedicles."

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Dear Friends,
                      Thank you for taking the time to reply! You all are amazing.

The concept of intubation is clearer to me now. In fact, Linda’s comment about spinal fusion surgery requiring intubation got me digging out my surgical report of last summer. I had a seven-hour surgery for removal of a benign brain tumor. If I had read the report more thoroughly in the past, I would have seen the term ”endotracheal anesthesia” and realized that that meant intubation.

Thanks for clarifying osteotomies, also. I know I have a rigid spine, so wish my surgeon good luck!

Best,
                      Brenda

diagnosed age 13: no treatment
                      47 degree thoracic
                      85 degree thoracolumbar
                      surgery scheduled for Aug. 30 and Sept. 2
                      A/P T-1 to pelvis with osteotomies & cages: proposed

Comment

Brenda--I can't remember how many osteotomies I had--see signature info. I didn't know anything about them that I recall until afterwards. Probably had to due to age and stiff spine. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                        X