Min. Invasive-Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min. Invasive-Interesting

I came across this web site today and it makes me feel better about my surgery which will not be minimally invasive.

SCOLIOSIS TREATMENT
    Last Revision November 4th, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scoliosis Research Institute

Ronald Blackman M.D.
    1073 Hubert Road
    Oakland, CA. 94610

For curriculum vita and photo Dr. Blackman.

NOTE: Here and at the end of this page is a link to the technique of minimally invasive spine surgery for scoliosis. Please read the entire page prior to clicking onto just this technique.IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT I NO LONGER RECOMMEND THIS TECHNIQUE except for a few specific instances which includes removal of ligaments and disc for loosening up a stiff curve prior to posterior fusion. DESPITE my DEVELOPMENT OF THE TECHNIQUE I BELIEVE BETTER APPROACHES (posterior pedicle screws) HAVE OCCURRED WITH BETTER CORRECTION,and LOWER FAILURE RATES
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

WHO is Dr Blackman
    What is he taking credit for developing (he should talk to Dr Anand about this...Anand takes credit for developing it...as do other surgeons, i believe..)

i do not believe the top level surgeons using the technique would continue to use it if they were seeing failures...as a matter of fact, Anand has a follow up of his patients going on...he denies failures...

i question where this guy is coming from...Oakland...the capital of scoli surgery...excuse me...?

i am glad you feel better about your surgery...but i wouldnt base it on anything this guy has to say!
    he is not impressive on the internet!

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is the guy who developed the technique originally, but they saw some problems with long-term fusion.

Linda will know more about it - she posted about it at some point when I asked about the site.

Comment

Yeah, here's Linda's post - http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...92&postcount=6

Comment

Linda,
          Thanks for the clarification.
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Jess,
            Didn't Lynette have Dr. Lonner as her surgeon? I may be wrong on that. I didn't think she had MI surgery so maybe it just depends upon each individual's scoliosis & the length of the needed fusion. I just talked to the office of Dr. Eichholz from St. Louis who supposedly has been doing MI for thoracic & lumbar scoliosis. They will need to see my MRI and a treatment plan from Dr. Lenke's office. I won't get the MRI until Nov. 17. I've never heard of him and he's not a member of SRS, so that bothers me. I found a brief article about him on the spine universe web site. I am stressing myself out worrying about doing the right thing!
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

hi Karen
              i dont think it was Lynette..but i do know that Anne (Admoul) had the surgery with Dr Lonner...

i was referring to the minimally invasive procedure for lumbar...fairly new...

Dr Anand claims to have invented it...dont know if that is true...i know he uses the procedure, as does Dr Lonner, and some other surgeons in the midwest...dont remember names...
              Anand claims no failures, and is following up with his patients for years...i do not know of any surgeons reporting failures with minimally invasive for lumbar...

i think you should have the surgery you originally planned with Dr Lenke...everyone knows he is a great surgeon! i wish you the best results...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                hi Karen
                i dont think it was Lynette..but i do know that Anne (Admoul) had the surgery with Dr Lonner...

i was referring to the minimally invasive procedure for lumbar...fairly new...

Dr Anand claims to have invented it...dont know if that is true...i know he uses the procedure, as does Dr Lonner, and some other surgeons in the midwest...dont remember names...
                Anand claims no failures, and is following up with his patients for years...i do not know of any surgeons reporting failures with minimally invasive for lumbar...

i think you should have the surgery you originally planned with Dr Lenke...everyone knows he is a great surgeon! i wish you the best results...

jess
                Hi...

I think Anand created his specific brand of minimally invasive lumbar fusion surgery, but he was definitely not the pioneer. TLIFs and XLIFs are both considered minimally invasive. And, I think George Picetti was doing lumbar minimally invasive surgery even before that.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dr Blackman became a doctor before Dr Anand was born.

He has been around awhile...MD since 1955. He has probably "been there, done that" a few times.

Both Dr Blackman and Dr Picetti contributed to non-invasive papers in 1995. Dr Blackman mentions that his first non-invasive was in 1993.

Interesting to note that the first laproscopic procedure on a human was performed in 1910. The idea has been around for awhile.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laparoscopic_surgery

Karen
                  I wouldn’t worry too much. You picked a great surgeon....you are in good hands.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

a top surgeon in NYC told me that he taught certain surgeons minimally invasive techniques years ago...so i take a whole lot of claims with a grain of salt...
                    i found a mention of minimally invasive thoracic scoli surgery from 1993, John Hopkins...

in my opinion, it is a personal decision....but i think the best anyone can do is to get a top scoli surgeon, then trust the doctor...whatever method that doctor recommends...

i think you have done that with Dr Lenke, Karen...so i hope you can stop worrying, enjoy golf til your surgery date, and keep your secret therapy approach at the ready...your schnauzers!!

jess
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-21-2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your support and comments. Yes, Jess, my schnauzers will be great company and reasons for walks once I'm allowed to have them on a leash. I wish I could figure out a way to raise and lower their food/water bowls during the first 4 months. John (husband) can walk right by their bowls and never notice if they need food or water, but he's going to have to improve on that. I'm starting to almost envy the people who are "on the other side" and recovering, even though a bumpy road sometimes. It's the unknown future that's difficult. Thanks, again.
                      Karen
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,

My husband found an article about Dr. Anand and minimally invasive surgery about 1 month prior to my surgery date. I freaked out a bit about whether I was doing the right thing having full posterior surgery. As it turned out for me, my curve was so stiff that I don't think minimally invasive could have gotten much correction.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask Kelly or Dr. Lenke if you would be a candidate though.
                        Kathy
                        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Kathy,
                          First of all, I'm glad you are doing so well you're able to post so soon after surgery. Did you have to go to rehab. after you got out of the hospital? I know everyone is different, but I'm hoping to be able to come home after a week in the hospital. OTOH, if I need help with the basics, I should go to rehab. before coming home and being helpless.
                          I wouldn't be a bit surprised if my spine would be too stiff for minimally invasive, too. There are a few moves in my exercise classes that I just can't do.
                          Good luck with your recovery. I would like to hear details any time (pottoff@htc.net)
                          Karen

I know what you mean about hoping you're doing the right thing going into this major surgery. I at least feel confident about Dr. Lenke and his recommendations.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,

When you have your pre-opt appointment, they will probably take bending x-rays to let them know how flexible your spine is. (That's when they did mine anyway).

I went directly from the hospital (day 5) to the Parkway Hotel. I spent 7 nights at the Parkway before going home (that was completely my choice). I think that if you can accomplish the tasks required by PT and OT (things like walking, going up/down steps, self dressing, self toileting) and if you have someone at home to care for you, you will probably be sent home.

I will send you an email to see if can I help answer any of your questions about Barnes.
                            Kathy
                            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

i saw Dr Anand last January for a consult...he stated that every curve(s) is do -able with minimally invasive approach...he put me in touch with 2 patients...one was 70...
                              said she had osteo...

i am not saying one method is better for everybody...just relaying what i was told at the consult...

best of luck...
                              jess

Comment

Working...
                              X