Number of screws/hooks used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of screws/hooks used

I have been looking at alot of the pics people post with there hardware. Do you know how they determine how many screws or hooks to use? I see some people have one like every verterbrae and some skip over? Does depending on how many screws you have make the pain less or fusion better? Do you know before the surgery how many they plan on??? any thoughts appreciated...
    Kelly
    mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
    Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
    Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
    Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
    Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
    scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
    Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

I am fused from T3- S1 and have 32 screws.
    I do not know whether or not my doctor knew this number before surgery or not
    I do not know whether or not it has anything to do with my pain level or not

Melissa

Comment

At my last appointment Dr. B had me get another thoracic xray so he could see how many pedicles he could use for surgery. I don't quite know what that means and thought I would ask when he details my surgery plan the day before when I meet with him. Maybe if they're too small they can't use them? I know they have different size screws though. Maybe Linda can shed some light.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
        At my last appointment Dr. B had me get another thoracic xray so he could see how many pedicles he could use for surgery. I don't quite know what that means and thought I would ask when he details my surgery plan the day before when I meet with him. Maybe if they're too small they can't use them? I know they have different size screws though. Maybe Linda can shed some light.

My daughter is fused from T3-L2 and she doesn't have any screws because her pedicles were too small.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Snoopy, may i ask how old your daughter was at fusion? how does that work if there no screws?
          I know they told me they have different size screws that my son would have smaller then what a adult has. We see Bridwell Monday I was just curious if anyone else knew...
          Thanks
          Kelly
          mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
          Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
          Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
          Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
          Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
          scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
          Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

This was a question I posed to Dr. Lenke prior to surgery, he told me he would use screws at every pedicle.

Comment

Bernie sent me an email late today about something before my surgery so I asked her about this. She said that sometimes pedicles are too small to use with screws. If they are healthy and the right size, they use them. I didn't ask her what they used instead but I read that hooks are an option if pedicle screws don't work.
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Hi...

It mostly depends on the surgeon's preference. While screws at almost every level is probably what we see most, there are occasions where screws can't be used. One of the surgeons I work with has a strong preference for wires in the thoracic spine for many patients.

As with most things having to do with selection of implants, I think it's nothing something about which we need to be concerned if we pick a very experienced surgeon.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by CamsMomKelly View Post
                  Snoopy, may i ask how old your daughter was at fusion? how does that work if there no screws?
                  I know they told me they have different size screws that my son would have smaller then what a adult has. We see Bridwell Monday I was just curious if anyone else knew...
                  Thanks
                  Hi Kelly,

Jamie was 13 y.o. when she had surgery and they used wires, hooks and monosegmental claws.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My one daughter has two screws at almost every level except she has a hook on the top left (she had a right T curve).

The other daughter was similar but had less screws, some levels had one or no screw, but still the hook at the top left.

I am guessing the more screws one the one kid were required to do more de-rotation. The other kid was nowhere near as rotated and ended up with many less screws while still being completely de-rotated. The kid with the many screws is only about 95% de-rotated even with all the screws though it is still a great result, especially considering what the surgeon started with. That's my guess anyway.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm fused T2-L1 and have 23 screws. There is a gap or two in some areas, not really sure why...

Comment

This is one reason why they might miss a screw.

I have 33 screws. One level has one screw as a clear trajectory was not obtainable in flouroscopy. That explains the odd number. My T7 was wedged pretty bad. My 6th screw on the right side is missing. See x-ray. If you zoom in you can see the wedge shape.
                        Ed
                        Attached Files
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm fused from T4 to L2 I have 10 scews and 5 hooks and 2 rods
                          Kara
                          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                          T4-L2
                          Before 50T
                          After 20T

Comment

I'm fused T-10 - Sacrum and I believe I have 19 screws.

Nitram
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                            A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                            Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
                            X