Question about types of physical therapy exercises - post-surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about types of physical therapy exercises - post-surgery

I have been going to physical therapy since July 10. I had my operation on June 8. I have had a neck issue since my June 8th surgery so everytime I go to my PT sessions, they have only worked on my neck. My neck is doing alot better but I think it's far from better. When I look to the right, I have 50% of the movement I should have and I really have to work at retracting my neck in so it doesn't stick out like a giraffe. My therapist has basically been giving my neck a tissue massage(for about 30 minutes) and then I do cardio for 10 minutes. My insurance originally gave me 12 visits, and then we asked for more and then they gave 7 visits. My other friends who had this surgery have had PT for about 6 months! My concern is that so far the therapist has only been working on my neck and I didn't even get to working on strengthening my back muscles yet and I am only down to 7 visits. I'm sure my insurance will give me more after getting pre-authorization again, but they seem to only give a few visits at a time.

I'm actually thinking of switching PT places now. I'm wondering, can I do this in the middle of therapy? Do I just call the insurance and notify them of the change in place? It seems like at my current PT place, they've never had a spinal fusion case. I ask them tons of questions and they don't know how to answer me. I asked them if I can start doing leg presses or lifting any types of small weights and they said they are not sure. I am not against overweight people at all, but my women therapist is about 250 pounds and I'm thinking she may not be the best person advising me of exercise!!!

I just wanted to ask everyone what they did at their PT sessions after the scoliosis surgery. I will be 3 months post-op on Sept. 8. I still don't even know how I should be bending with my back! I ask my therapist and she looks at my as if she doesn't know. I just found out today after inquiring that she is only an assistant.

Lorz, I know you mentioned your therapist since you are in the area. I'm really thinking about going to him.

It would help if anyone that had this surgery can tell me what type of exercises they did post op so I know what to expect when I call around looking for a new place.

Thanks for your help!!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Originally posted by JenM View Post
    I have been going to physical therapy since July 10. I had my operation on June 8. I have had a neck issue since my June 8th surgery so everytime I go to my PT sessions, they have only worked on my neck. My neck is doing alot better but I think it's far from better. When I look to the right, I have 50% of the movement I should have and I really have to work at retracting my neck in so it doesn't stick out like a giraffe. My therapist has basically been giving my neck a tissue massage(for about 30 minutes) and then I do cardio for 10 minutes. My insurance originally gave me 12 visits, and then we asked for more and then they gave 7 visits. My other friends who had this surgery have had PT for about 6 months! My concern is that so far the therapist has only been working on my neck and I didn't even get to working on strengthening my back muscles yet and I am only down to 7 visits. I'm sure my insurance will give me more after getting pre-authorization again, but they seem to only give a few visits at a time.

I'm actually thinking of switching PT places now. I'm wondering, can I do this in the middle of therapy? Do I just call the insurance and notify them of the change in place? It seems like at my current PT place, they've never had a spinal fusion case. I ask them tons of questions and they don't know how to answer me. I asked them if I can start doing leg presses or lifting any types of small weights and they said they are not sure. I am not against overweight people at all, but my women therapist is about 250 pounds and I'm thinking she may not be the best person advising me of exercise!!!

I just wanted to ask everyone what they did at their PT sessions after the scoliosis surgery. I will be 3 months post-op on Sept. 8. I still don't even know how I should be bending with my back! I ask my therapist and she looks at my as if she doesn't know. I just found out today after inquiring that she is only an assistant.

Lorz, I know you mentioned your therapist since you are in the area. I'm really thinking about going to him.

It would help if anyone that had this surgery can tell me what type of exercises they did post op so I know what to expect when I call around looking for a new place.

Thanks for your help!!

JenM
    Unless you have an insurance plan that prohibits it, you should certainly be able to switch therapists. Whether or not you'll get your insurance company to agree to more visits is another question for them. Most plans have a maximum number of visits per year showing in the plan details, so you might want to check your documentation.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am concerned about my PT too. They say they have had scoliosis and fusion patients. I am doing cardio to improve endurance which has helped, no more naps for a few weeks. Then they do a lot of core/shoulder/back/leg exercises. So apparently it is OK to bend, I do some pretty difficult stuff. They also spoke with my MD before starting.
      However, they have not done anything to improve my walking. I am still leaning forward when I walk and it has been 10 weeks today. I am worried as I go back to work in 2 weeks, Ugh!!!!!!
      Janet
      Last edited by jsully; 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM.
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi Jen

I have been wondering how your therapy has been going. I switched therapists after I started, and it was not a problem. As Linda mentioned, my ins pays for 75 visits per year. It doesn't matter where you go for the therapy. I am pretty sure we both have BC/BS. I have been going for 6 months now. If you are able, due to transportation issues, I would encourage you to try another PT. I don't think any of the PT's in our area specialize in scoliosis therapy, but larger PT dept's have therapists with a lot more training and experience dealing with back surgeries in general. You certainly should be working with a licensed PT, not an assistant, in my opinion. Of course, I have not had my surgery yet, so I am basing this on what my therapist has told me. Good Luck. Oh, and btw, I know a local, very dependable, teenager if you need some babysitting help.
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I had three rounds of PT after my surgery, all prescribed by Boachie. As each round came to an end, the therapist reviewed my case with him and more therapy was prescribed as needed. As long as it was prescribed, insurance kept paying for it...

I think it's extremely important to interview therapists before you start to make sure they're familiar with spinal fusion patients. My PT was very careful that I kept my pelvis and back aligned, whether I was lying on my back doing gentle core-building exercises or standing up doing squats, or sitting to do leg lifts. The only equipment I used in the beginning was a recumbent bike and the treadmill, both at a very slow pace.

Also, I was not shy about refusing to do anything I didn't want to do...your body knows what it can and cannot do.

Good luck and I hope your neck issues resolve soon.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Lorz, do you still recommend your guy Dan at Core PT? Did he say he did post-op patients that had the scoliosis surgery? I am thinking about definately calling him today. Also, thanks for telling me about a babysitter! I have a week and a half left of my sitter, and may need more help when she leaves.

THanks and talk soon!

JenM

P.S. I scheduled a massage on Sunday for my neck/shoulder area. Does anyone know if we can have our back muscles massaged post-op? I am now at 10 weeks? I was thinking no one should massage them because of the hardware, but maybe I am wrong??

Comment

Jen,
              I am breaking down and getting a massage TODAY! I think it is fine as far as hardware is concerned. I was just procrastinating due to breaking the bank.
              Janet
              36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Janet-
                I scheduled a massage for this Sunday! I know, they are really expensive. Do you know if they can massage our backs? I am mainly going for my neck and shoulders. Let me know if you got your back massaged.

JenM

Comment

I got a full body massage. It was nice while it lasted. $45 for 1 hour.
                  Janet
                  36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

We are all different, but I didn't have any PT until after 6 months. Until then, the doc recommended that I walk 2+ miles a day and avoid twisting or lifting.

After 6 months I started PT. I think the doc wanted to give my back a while to fuse before any real exercises. PT made a HUGE difference. I've been diligent about stretching and exercising.

I recently passed the one-year mark and I'm pretty happy. I have to keep up the exercises and I have to be aware of my posture because I still have "muscle memory" to contend with but my back has healed well and I'm so much better than before surgery.

Good luck to you.
                    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                    Excellent correction

Comment

I have had no PT. When I was at my 4 month app't, the Dr. said I didn't need it. I go back next month for follow-up, and I'll see what he says then. I had a lot of PT pre-op as pain mgmt., but I know some of the exercises I did then would not be appropriate now. Where I really need it is in abs/core, but am just a little afraid of doing something I shouldn't. Wouldn't mind working with someone even for a few weeks to get me on the right track. Have others felt they're post-op PT was really helpful? My biggest issue is that ##@! screw which still feels like it's pinching and some of the tissue around it is really sore and tender to the touch. Of course, I am already missing a screw or two, so I suspect I'll it'll be a while until they would consider removing it.

As far as massage, I know you can have that done at some point post-op. The guy I had pre-op had a great knowledge of scoli and had some post fusion patients. He had all kinds of certifications and worked through our local health system in the alternative medicine dept. At some point, I may go back to him. He said he'd work a lot with me on my side rather than on my stomach. I think you just need to make sure that anyone you see is familiar with spinal fusion surgery and that's not always easy to find esp. away from a major metropolitan area.

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

P.t.

Hi Jen,
                        I know Dan has worked with spinal fusion patients, but not sure if it was specifically scoliosis sugery. Since he is affiliated with Good Shepherd, he has a lot of resources to pull from. I feel that he would refer you to someone who could help, if he thought he couldn't. When I spoke to him about you, he seemed to feel he could help. My daughter goes to Allentown Ortho. Assoc next week for her scoli follow up. They have a huge PT dept. I will ask if they do PT for post-op scoliosis pts. Let me know if you want more info on the babysitter. I tried to send you a private message, but your message box was full. Take care and feel better. Lori
                        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                        T54/L72
                        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                        Gained 2 inches!
                        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Hi,
                          I started PT 3mos after surgery along with going back to work part time teaching piano at a studio 30 minutes away. I also couldn't drive until 3 mos post op either. I felt very good at that point.
                          As the weeks in PT went by I felt worse and worse. This was a large place with a pool that I used once a week with the other day exercise etc. Although they acted as if they were knowledgeable, they had in fact, never seen a fusion as long as mine. They exhausted me and I did what they said because that's how I am and figured no pain, no gain. My muscles started spasming and I could barely walk, had to stop working and spent a year recovering from PT. I did finally find another place a year later that helped but I think I would have been fine without the PT and just walking and doing stairs. My correction was 90% and although that is great, all my muscles were pulled into positions they were not used to being in. Forcing them too soon was a mistake. Anne has the same doctor (Lonner) and I am pleased to hear she didn't need PT. Of course, places that see long fusions all the time would probably be much safer.
                          dianeh
                          ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                          T3- sacrum
                          dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

My doctor does not want me doing any PT yet . All he wants me to do is walk every day. My surgery was May 4th.

Melissa

Comment

I did A LOT of physical therapy post-op, but honestly, nothing helped me more -- in terms of regaining my overall strength, flexibility and mobility -- than walking and pilates. I still do both on a regular basis and have barely had any pain at all since my surgery (and recovery, obviously)!

Comment

Working...
                              X