Sad Down Upset please respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Down Upset please respond

I was just told that the SCS may not be an option for me. I may have to have my curve corrected.

I am scared to get that kind of surgery done but I cannot bare this pain anymore. I don't understand why they cannot do the trial SCS on me.

I saw a neurosurgeon today, he is referring me to a surgeon that specializes in the type of surgery I need.

I just have a 36 degree curve and my pain is paralyzing.

For those of you that had to have spine correction

What was your pain level after surgery to current date?

Did you have to have repeat surgeries?

How long after surgery where you able to do things for your self?

If you are a mom, how did this affect your home life?

When I go see my pain doc next month I am going to ask why I can't try the SCS. My pain is getting worst despite what we have tried so far.

I am trying so hard not to cry right now

Thanks in advance
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

I'm so sorry you've just had a big disappointment and most likely, shock. It is a shock to be told you need spinal surgery. It takes time to come to terms with that and when it happened to me, I became quite depressed for a while. (Dr. put me on a mild anti-depressant and it worked - life went on.)

For those of you that had to have spine correction

What was your pain level after surgery to current date?

Pre-op mild to moderate. Post op, it was mostly taken care of my medication, though it got out of hand at least once a day and I required morphine injections (quite often hospital staff forgot about my medication and I had to remind them before it got too bad.) Once home, it eased up immediately - psychological probably, but being in my own comfy bed was a big help and taking my meds on time. (They dish it out to you when they're good and ready, in hospital.) By 6 weeks I was having very little pain and began reducing medication. By three months I was off medication and pain free. But we are all different, and many have pain for much longer, so keep that in mind. I'm 17 months post op now and still have absolutely no pain. I'm hugely grateful for my surgery, and considering you're in terrible pain now, I'm sure you'll be even happier with your result. It's just coming to terms with having to have it at all, that's hard, and that's where you're at now.

Did you have to have repeat surgeries?

No, and hopefully I never will. But there are no guarantees.

How long after surgery where you able to do things for your self?

Depends on what task we're talking about. Showering and shampooing, by myself but with difficulty on day 3, after all lines were removed. Housework...little bits and pieces (no bending or twisting) at about 6 weeks. e.g. standing at kitchen bench, preparing dinner, dusting, laundry. I didn't drive until 3 months because I had dizziness from week 7 - week 13. No definite reason for that was given.

If you are a mom, how did this affect your home life?

If you have young kids, I believe you will need help. Do you have a family member who can live with you for 2-3 months? Can you utilise day care? Can your partner take time off work to care for you and the kids? Lots to think about there. No lifting of kids for months! Very important.

It's a huge thing to face and takes some time to come to terms with it. I have never been on antidepressants before and was loathe to accept them, but my GP was spot on - they lifted that black cloud and I just got on with things until it was time for surgery. I stopped taking them the day of surgery and never looked back. One thing I would advise: if at all possible (depending on your pain), start daily walks. Walk slowly, or fast, however your pain permits, but do it daily because it lifts your spirits, makes you feel fit and makes you feel like you can face things better.

Wishing you the very best of luck!
    Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hello FusedSpine,

I'm a bit confused--your user name suggests you've already had the surgery?

Also, 36 degrees is very little to suggest spinal fusion.

Have you gone to physical therapy? Have you had an MRI? Is it possible you have a disc problem that is causing the pain?

Also, sorry for my ignorance, but what is an SCS?

Physical therapy can help quite a bit with pain, but you've got to get a good therapist who knows scoli! Hope you don't have to go the surgery route. I'm struggling with that myself.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

re:

My name is FusedSpine because my lower spine fused naturally years ago. I still remember the look on my Ortho doc's face when he saw it. To this day i do not know if that is bad or not, I never asked.

I have tried physical therapy and it made my pain 2x worst.

I have tried this thing (i forgot the name) where you put leads on your back and it sends a electrical signal. That did not work.

I have tried tons of different pain meds. The ones I am on now give me SOME relief but I am not pain free. Any relief is good enough for me.

I thought 36 degrees would not require my self.

My pain now is so bad it feels like my breath is being taken away.I do not want to be drowsy or sleep most of my day. I am 34 years old. I have a husband. How can I look sexy drowsy LOL

all that in addition to my new HIP PAIN oh yeah lol, the doc said i have bursitis. He actually said old people get that LOL nice...well it's going on 3 weeks and if i don't take those meds I can's stand on my right leg, can't stand up straight. the pain creates instant tears i cannot even lean on someone to help me to a wheel chair or to the couch because it's so painful. If my hubby tries to carry me i say no because i might pass out from the pain.

I have had this back pain since i was 19. for some reason now i am in pain EVERYDAY. WTFudge!
        LaShawn Hardy
        34 years old
        Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
        36 degree curve Thoratic
        Lumbar natural fusion
        Surgery Date 1/31/2011
        T2-L1
        Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Hi LaShawn,

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Can't your Ortho Doc give you a Cortisone shot in you bursitis?

I have a friend from roller skating and her lumbar spine has fused itself, but you are way younger that she is, so it does seem unusual.

I also don't know what SCS is. Could you elaborate?

Welcome to the Forum. There are many good people here to give you advice or at least emotional support.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

re:

Oh, I forgot SCS is a spinal cord stimulator - it's implanted and connected to your spine and a battery back is placed just under the skin near your bottom.

I have received the those shots before and they only work for most of the day.
            LaShawn Hardy
            34 years old
            Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
            36 degree curve Thoratic
            Lumbar natural fusion
            Surgery Date 1/31/2011
            T2-L1
            Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Working...