Report from MBeckoff's trip to surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from MBeckoff's trip to surgeon

Well, I went to see my surgeon yesterday and we discussed my pain situation and he did remind me that we had an discussion before my surgery that because of my age ( 51) and how long my fusion is I might be in pain for quite a while ( months ) going forward off and on. My X-rays look great . As I am still having the pain on my left side and going down my left arm and leg, he is sending me for a MRI of my neck. I am not looking forward to that at all. I have not been flat on my back since the surgery and I have not been without my foam mattress or without a pillow either. That should be fun!!

We also discussed my pain while sitting. He did say that will most likely take most time to go away . I swear that I can feel the metal down there.

He is allowing me the Davoset . Great because without that I cannot sleep at all

So now I know my situation is normal

Melissa
    Last edited by mbeckoff; 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM. Reason: adding information

hi Melissa
    i am so sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain..and i hope you get some relief really soon!

jess

Comment

Thanks Jess and are you feeling any better?

Melissa

Comment

thanks for asking..still have injection site pain from the epidural, but not as intense...nothing compared to what i know you must be going through!

i am glad your surgeon didnt find anything radically wrong...now it is just a matter of time...and time seems to go slowly when in pain!
        i hope the pain lessens really soon!

jess

Comment

It is just a matter of time .I just want it to be faster which it cannot be

Feel better

Melissa

Comment

Melissa -- Thanks for the update on your visit with your surgeon.

I pray both you and Jess get relief soon. I know the time does seem to go much, much slower when you're in pain.

Take care,
            glenda
            Glenda
            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Melissa,
              I'm glad to hear that all is normal but sorry you are having so much pain. I guess it takes some of us longer than others to heal and be rid of all pain. My sympathy to you as I know what you are dealing with.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I'd been wondering how your appointment went. Good to hear that the xrays are looking good. Hope the mri goes ok. Did you sleep on your back in hospital? Do you sleep on your side now? Hope you start to feel some relief soon.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Melissa--
                  It really can take a long time and then with ups and downs. I hope your pain goes down and recovery hurries up. At least you know now the x-ray was fine. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    I'd been wondering how your appointment went. Good to hear that the xrays are looking good. Hope the mri goes ok. Did you sleep on your back in hospital? Do you sleep on your side now? Hope you start to feel some relief soon.

The only way that I can sleep at all is on my back. Even right after the surgery , they had me sleeping on my back and I was ok with it.If I try to sleep on either side,it hurts way more than on my back. I have 5 pillows plumped up and I sleep that way. If I fall one way during the night , when I wake in the morning I am in so much pain when I try to get up.

Melissa

Comment

Thanks for everyones good wishes about the MRI. How can I lie flat on my back during the MRI with out pain?

Melissa

Comment

I really don't know about lying on your back for the mri. I wonder if they can put you on a slab of foam for the mri. Hopefully, someone who's had an mri after surgery, can help with that. Did they say how long the mri will take? When you go for it, speak to them about your concerns. I'm sure there must be some way to help you to lie on your back in comfort. Good luck Melissa, let us know how you go.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hey Melissa,

Glad to hear all is normal, and I hope the pain subsides soon! You are still less than four months, post-op, right? So that is still pretty early.

I haven't had scoli surgery, but I've had a few MRIs for different things, including spine. Mine took about 20 minutes, and I was flat on my back. But the good news is they did let me use a pillow. Maybe you can take extra pain meds before this???

Feel better soon!

Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

when they call to schedule I will discuss my issues with them

Melissa

Comment

He put me on another course of steriods to see if that will help my sitting pain

I hope that something will give me some relief

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X