Surgery with Dr. Bridwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery with Dr. Bridwell

I will be scheduling surgery in Mar/Apr 2011. I don't have any pain or physical limitations... yet he recommended during my first meeting with him in July that I get this scheduled within the next year. His rational is that because it will continue to progress I should get this done while I am otherwise in good health and not having any problems. I understand his feelings, yet it was a difficult decision for me to make. Looking to talk/correspond with anyone who had him as a surgeon with a similar case. Would like to hear about your post op/pre op experiences,...THANKS

Mary Ann - I am having surgery with Dr Bridwell Aug 31. I just turned 56 in June and wish I had done this 10 years ago but I didn't even know they could fix adult scoliosis then. I'm still in good health and am ready to do this. I don't know your situation but you can see my info in my signature. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll have a lot more info after Aug 31.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Mary Ann,
      I will be 60 in September and have surgery scheduled with Dr. Lenke in Jan. who trained with Dr. Bridwell. Yes, it's an extremely difficult decision when you have little pain and enjoy life as it is. I have always thought there would be a time in my later years when I could have severe pain. I don't look forward to the surgery and a long recovery period (giving up golf for at least a year among other things), but feel that it's probably my best chance for active years later. It would be an easier decision if pain were a huge factor. Now, age is more my reason to have the surgery now.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Small world. Dr. Lenke is the MD my daughter's doctor consulted with 4 years ago.
        Moxie
        Mom to Beth, 12 years old. On diagnosis: T-32, S-28; T-23 with boston brace. Initially, Beth was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylethesis. Now--spondylethesis is repaired; she rehabbing it. God has her in His hands. And, she's a GREAT kid.
        [/FONT]

Comment

I had surgery with Dr Bridwell December '07. Fused from T3-Sacrum. My pre op pain was more "fatigue" vs pain. I could not stand or walk for very long. I found my curves were worsening post menopause and my real motivation was concern that I'd be very bent over later in life, unable to do for myself. My recovery has gone well. I was back at work 10 weeks post op. I am able to walk and stand as much as I like - which for me is about 3 miles or 1 hour - but could do more. I really do not have any pain to speak of and I still try to stay as upright as possible. Just a few weeks ago I got 2 new kittens so I find myself having to pick them up - I do a combination squat/ bend at the hips to keep my back straight. Muscles feeling it a bit.
          Jan Lotherington,
          56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
          A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
          at age 55
          Dr Bridwell

Comment

Working...
          X