When was surgery preapproved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was surgery preapproved?

I am scheduled for surgery on October 1 but as far as I know, my surgery has not yet been preapproved by my health insurance. I was told by my surgeon's nurse that they usually do not get insurance preapproval until 6-8 weeks prior to the date.

Also, I have not been scheduled for any preop visits, tests or xrays. (I last saw my surgeon in April.) Is it too soon? I'm awaiting a call back from their office about these questions, but I also wanted to get a sense from those of you who have had the surgery, what was your experience with the above? I'm a preplanner and I want to have things in order ahead of time, and not stressing at the last minute!
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Mine was approved in about a month. I got a letter from insurance stating a request for approval was made and they were missing a few items, then a week or so later I got another letter stating I was approved.

Good luck!

Comment

My surgery is scheduled for Aug 31. The letter from my insurance company approving the surgery and hospital stay was mailed to me July 20th. After my first visit with Dr Bridwell in June he ordered a pulmonary function test and a bone density test which I had done in Indy. After they received the results of those tests they scheduled my July 19th visit. After that appointment they sent me same day for a preop blood draw and ekg. Next I see Dr B the day before surgery and have a central line put in that day and meet with the anesthesiology dept after that. Then I have the afternoon off until surgery the next morning. Hopefully that gives you some idea of the schedule.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Communication with your surgeon

Laurie

I would communicate with your surgeons nurse by e-mail. It’s the best way.

Its nice to establish this form of communication with the ability to ask questions when they arise. (Just ask them if you can ask questions) I would ask about 3 questions max at a time, and a few days later, I would get some sort of response. I wouldn’t send too many questions, just the pertinent ones. Communication by telephone is insane in today's world, I know Alexander Graham Bell would be upset, but it’s the truth.

Its best to find out about your insurance approval from Dr Gupta's nurse, they will know. Its one of the first things they do, as they like to get paid for their work.

We live in an e-mail world.

Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM.
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, his nurse has been my point of contact so far and she has been very responsive. I was referred to their ins person and that's who is supposed to get back to me. My last visit feels like so long ago and I hope that I haven't been forgotten! Guess I better step-up my emails to them!
          Laurie
          Age 57
          Dr Munish Gupta

Comment

I think mine wasn't preapproved until a couple of weeks before surgery. I started asking about it months beforehand, and they told me that time frame (which sounded awfully tight to me) was standard procedure.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I no how you feel laurie i have to incureine both medical and calfornia children sevicres I was i appovred for surgery from ccs a copple weeks before surgery
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

my surgery is tomorrow and only because I stayed on top of the insurance pre-approval thing. they had it in pending for weeks. upon many phone calls turns out the doctor's office never turned in the reports to "prove I had a curve", preposterous!! then all went haywire because it was so late in the game, let's hope my brace is ready when I come out and I am ready to go home. So my advice is hound everybody. Nobody cares about you but you. Good luck.
                XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                53 yrs old

Comment

Karena! Good luck to you with your surgery tomorrow. Thanks for taking your precious time to give me your feedback. I will be thinking of you.
                  Laurie
                  Age 57
                  Dr Munish Gupta

Comment

Good luck, Karena! I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Best,
                    Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Whew...my insurance approved everything early last week (thank goodness for my HMO!), my preop appointment is 9/28, and as far as I know, my surgery is still scheduled for Oct. 1. I took a week off before my surgery to get things ready. The extreeeeeeeeme anxiety is kicking in full gear now and reading this forum helps calm me because no one else gets it other than those of us actually going through it.
                      Laurie
                      Age 57
                      Dr Munish Gupta

Comment

Laurie good luck at your postop appt and your surgery on the 1st of october
                        Kara
                        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                        T4-L2
                        Before 50T
                        After 20T

Comment

Working...
                        X