Is a second opinion necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a second opinion necessary?

I have no doubt that I will have Dr. Lenke do my surgery. Not only do I think he is one of the best, Barnes Hospital is a 1/2 hours drive from our house. I was rereading David Wolpert's book last night about getting a second opinion. I just don't know if I want to spend the time and money to travel to a different state and do not know who I would even try to see. My husband and I (& schnauzers) have a week golf trip planned in Nov. as kind of our final fling before surgery. It sounds like more fun than a trip to see another scoliosis Dr., but if it's definitely the way to go, I guess I should do it. What do you think?
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

I can say without any reservation that I would trust Dr. Lenke 100%. He's an amazing surgeon, take a look at my dd's attached xrays. He was the 4th surgical consult on our list and our final one, we had no doubt that our dd would be in very capable hands. I say you don't need another consult based on our experience, BUT if it will ease any doubts in your mind maybe you should. How about Dr. Bridwell?

Comment

i would get a second opinion anyway, no matter how good Dr Lenke is...

is he doing a minimally invasive approach...? is such an approach possible for your situation..? not all surgeons do surgery that way, but it spares muscles and causes less bleeding...

i would definitely want another opinion...no surgeon is so good that another viewpoint isnt needed!

best of luck...
      jess

Comment

I think a second opinion is a must.
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

One thing is you might get a different opinion on the levels that need to be fused or the approach. There are good surgeons in Chicago that can't be too far from you, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other good surgeons in St. Louis, too. Lenke & Bridwell both seem to do a lot of T3 & T4 to sacrum. It's possible you could get away with a shorter fusion (though there are I'm sure reasons for doing the longer ones, as well). But I would want to know my options. I'd also do it now, before it gets to close to your planned surgery date. Just my 2 cents.

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Karen,
            Dr. Rand was my only opinion and I'm not sorry at all that I didn't get a second opinion. He came very highly recommended and everyone in x-ray said I was in the best of hands. I would definitely trust Dr. Lenke and the Barnes Hospital. If you feel comfortable with Dr. Lenke, and I know he comes highly recommended, I probably wouldn't get a second opinion. I know everyone says you should get a second opinion for this type of surgery but it is basically a matter of trust and reputation of the Doctor and your gut feeling. Do what feels right to you. What was Dr. Lenke's plan for you?
            You will be in my thoughts as you decide what you want to do.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

You may want to get a 2nd opinion just so you have one and feel totally comfortable in your decision. You could always see Bridwell since they're in the same office and you wouldn't have to travel. Or is there a doctor you'd like to see that you could tie in with your golf trip?
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Never considered even considering a second opinion. I had a great, highly skilled and well-trained surgeon, who trained at UCSF. I think the whole 2nd opinion thing - once your talking about docs who are tops in their fields (no matter what the problem is) is vastly overrated.
                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

i disagree...minimally invasive approach for lumbar curves is new...and i would not have known that had i not consulted with more than one surgeon..nothing to be lost by seeing more than one surgeon...and a lot to be gained!! not even all the top surgeons agree on everything...and 4 out of the 5 i consulted with are tops in their field!!

jess

Comment

I agree with Sally on this one. If you know in your gut that this is the right surgeon for you, I think you should go ahead and enjoy your golf trip without worrying about scoliosis. I went for a second opinion, because neither my husband nor I felt right about the first physician we saw, even though he was a highly qualified surgeon at a large teaching institution. You've got one of the best docs in the field. If you feel comfortable with what he's recommending, I don't know that I would pursue the added expense and stress of seeking a 2nd opinion. If you have any doubts at all, then I would talk to someone else.

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

No second opinion for me

When I consulted Dr. Boachie I had been on a revision forum for a few months and heard from other who had the same proposed surgery as I. I learned his reputation and had e-mailed Dr. Pashman my story. I asked for some names.
                      I was given his name as one of the 3. I had made an appointment with another surgeon for the week after Dr. B's . I spoke to his nurse who poo-pooed my scoliosis caused breathing problems. I went on my own and got a pulmonary test and consultation. When I found I had lost 30% of my lung capacity I crossed that surgeon off the list.

I decided, right then and there, on my first visit to Dr. Boachie, on him as my surgeon. He told me what I needed and not to wait llonger than 6 months. I did need to wait 3 months for OR space and I know my curves got worse during the waiting period.
                      I have the advantage of a medical background and I asked around within the system. I also felt very comfortable with him and I never regretted it. That was 8 years ago.

I am not disdaining second opinions. I felt it very helpful to actually speak to his other patients who had the surgery. This can also be done in a forum such as this. But no one should be criticized for being comfortable and in partnership with the only surgeon they consult. Some persons got 5 opinions.
                      The rating of the hospital is extremely important: infection rates and staffing. A doc might be great but without proper nursing care and a clean environment all his work can be ruined.
                      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 08-16-2010, 07:02 PM.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen (I and most anyone imaginable on this site) certainly understand your feelings about Dr. Lenke's being your absolute first (and second and third etc) choice as surgeon!

If I were you, I WOULD get a second opinion - just to have all your i’s dotted and t’s crossed. That’s especially since you haven’t yet seen anyone else. (Some might compare it to marrying your first date! However great…..).

I look at it this way: can getting it hurt? No. Can NOT getting it hurt? Yes. Per my analysis anyhow. My motto is “minimize regret”. How and whether this might apply to this situation, only you can say.

And as far as 2nd opinions go, not just ANY second opinion, though – only a very well-reputed surgeon! It would certainly be convenient to see Bridwell, but I’m not sure you’d get the full benefit out of it because they’re so closely affiliated. (That said, I’d find it very interesting to learn whether, their recommendations differ and if so, how. That’s not in YOUR best interests, though! ).

Not sure if Bridwell would go for being a “technical” consult, all in all. That is, a surgeon seen w/o serious thoughts of follow-through. Not that it would be much skin off his back, so to speak, from what I’ve heard abt his time allocation for consults. He’s sure to know he’s a backup because of their association w/I the same system. Might be hard to get a completely unbiased view.
                        You could easily get this question answered, by asking Jackie, of course.

Whomever you consult, you can’t go seriously wrong, IMO. If both surgeons recommend the same thing, you’d be reinforced in your thinking. If there ARE significant differences, it would be a good mental exercise, to evaluate the issues . Good questions for one of both surgeons - what’s behind their thinking?

Both good outcomes, seems to me. No matter what happens – and you’ve indicated you are sometimes beset with doubts (me too!) - having made this investigation, any potential second guessing of yourself, would be reduced after the fact, That’s pretty important since outcomes even w/ the crème de la crème are never guaranteed. You’ll never to have to wonder “If only I’d asked someone else, might I have had a different outcome?”

Not that I wouldn’t fall all over myself to be able to work w/ Dr. Lenke!
                        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Karen, I have seen several surgeons over the years and feel most comfortable with the surgeon I have selected. I want to have my surgery in my home town. My surgeon is qualified and I do not want the burden of traveling (a most personal choice on my part).

Having said all of that, I did confront my surgeon about Dr. Lenke, of whom I have heard so much on this forum. My doctor told me he is the best. He emphasized that he sends patients to Dr. Lenke, not the reverse. He has only sent one patient to Dr. Lenke that he was not comfortable with handling. My surgeon handles most of the adult and children scoliosis patients in central Texas so he gets a large number of cases. He impressed me with his honesty that he is not the best (compared to Lenke), but he is very good.

Sounds like you have the best, but another opinion is always welcomed.
                          Chris, Austin, TX
                          80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                          Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                          C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                          New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi....

While I normally encourage people to get a second opinion, there are maybe 10-12 surgeons around the U.S. that I would trust to do my own surgery. Dr. Lenke is one. I think if one is really confident on the surgeon they've chosen, and they've confirmed that s/he does a lot of scoliosis surgeries, a second opinion is less of a priority.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Karen--
                              My first doctor was highly recommended--Dr. Shelokov in Texas. I was set for surgery and got cold feet. I didn't feel comfortable after about 2 months so had second opinion from Dr. Lenke. Felt as good as one can after realizing all that is involved. If I had seen him first, I wouldn't have needed a second. I think you're OK to go on the trip. Normally, I would have said absolutely get a second opinion. I think you'll be just fine. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X