Swollen Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swollen Belly

I had a bulging belly for 9 months, after my fusion. After meals my belly would swell extremely large. During this time I had 5 people to ask if I was pregnant. I went through every test imagineable. Checked for blood clots, Ultrasound of my kidneys, liver and aorta, Pap smear, blood test to check for elevated enzymes. Someone told me since I was taking Senekote each day and that was causing fluids to gather in my intestines. I stopped taking the Senekote. Finally, I had a colonoscopy and it was fine. The doctor said out of elimination it must be IBS(irritable bowel syndrone). Shocked me, because I didn't have any problems. I went on the internet and read where dairy products can cause swelling. That was it! I had been drinking milk shakes like crazy to gain weight after surgery. I was making them with ice cream and Ensure. The ensure was lactose free but the ice cream wasn't. I was drinking about 3/day. I have read that sometimes after surgery IBS can develop in people. So, that's my story..not to say this is anyone else's problem, but just in case...I wanted to save you a lot of time and money.

belly

I actually love Ensure but I also have IBS for years. I read in Prevention (Dr. Weil) that carraganeen-a thickener bothers IBS and it is in Ensure and in many other things like lemon meringue pie!

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Swollen Belly

Karen,

That is very interesting. So, it must have been a combination of the Ensure and ice cream. In fact, probably more the Ensure. Thanks for that information.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Working...
      X