No announcement yet.

9 weeks post-op, Yeah, I'm driving!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 weeks post-op, Yeah, I'm driving!!!!

Hi all-

Just wanted to let you know how I am doing at 9 weeks post-op. I finally started driving about 2 weeks ago, mainly local driving. Two days ago I actually traveled 45 minutes away from my house and I was out for about 4 hours on my own! I can only drive in the car early in the morning until about 3pm since that is the time my neck gets very weak and starts to collapse. I've been taking naps between 3 and 5pm so that I can get my neck back up and resume my motherly activities from 5pm to 9pm. Everyday, I am getting better and better and am walking better. 9 weeks post-op was a HUGE week for me. Today, I did 2 different outside activities with my kids and then we went out to a restaurant for dinner. I do get very tired in the middle of the day and need a 2 hr nap. My endurance is no where where it was before the surgery, which gets me frustrated, but I have to realize I am still early in the recovery process. Does anyone know when it comes back? I am starting to get peaks of energy throughout the day that were the same as I had before the surgery.

About my neck....3 weeks after the surgery it was fine. THen it started to collapse and I couldn't even hold it up for about an hour without my chin falling right to my chest. Now at 9 weeks it is still very weak but I am making it from 8am until about 3pm and then I definately have to lay down so I can make it in the night hours without tons of neck pain. I'm thinking my neck issues are muscular and that I just have to build the neck muscles back up. Every week it is SLOWLY getting better, and I hope it continues to improve. I hope one day soon it won't be an issue and that I can hold it up for 12 hours at a time! Then I will be happy I had the surgery done. PT is also training me to retract my neck. If I don't pay attention to it, it sticks out like a giraffe (which it didn't do before my surgery). Just think my neck doesn't know how to stand since I had both kyphosis and scoliosis at the same time. My kyphosis before my surgery was almost 70 degrees which I believe is very large. The only reason I couldn't drive until 9 weeks was really because of my neck. I still can't look to the right normally. It's like I can only turn my neck 1/2 way.

Anyway, I am starting to get really nervous as I only have my sitter for 2 more weeks since she goes back to college!!!! I have had her for 8 hours a day since the middle of June. As of Sept. 1, I no longer have her and I am on my own. She was a godsend to me and I couldn't have done it without her. My husband works long hours so I really only have him on the weekends to help. I am getting scared as I don't know if I can handle the kids on my own for the first time for most of the day. My son will go to kindergarten 5 days a week, but it's only for 2 1/2 hours a day and my daughter will go to preschool 2 days a week, but that's only 2 1/2 hours as well! Wish my oldest one had full day kindergarten so I could have some time to my own to sit, relax and recover. Anyway, I told my two kids they have to lie down with me everyday from 3-5pm. We bought alot of new, recent kids movies so they are excited to watch those as I lie down.

Anyway, just decided to update you all on my progress. I'll be thinking of all you who have upcoming surgeries in Aug and Sept! Good luck to JennyRN on Monday who will be getting her final surgery. I'll let you all who are having upcoming surgeries know...the first 6 weeks were really rough for me but after that it gets easier and easier. I am starting to finally get used to the metal in my back. Driving over bumps is much easier now and I don't flinch anymore. Housework is even getting easier. I got really depressed for about 3 weeks early on but thank goodness that has passed. Think that was mainly due to the meds.

Hope everyone is doing well!

JenM
    Last edited by JenM; 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM.
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Good to hear you're doing great JenM. Your report on your neck improvement is very encouraging. I feel the next two weeks will give you even greater improvement and by the time you lose your sitter, you will be much more likely to cope.

Lying down with the kids while they watch new dvds is an excellent idea. If they don't allow you to sleep, hopefully, you'll feel better for having had the lie-down. There might be difficult moments, but you should be encouraged by the improvements, which so far have been amazing.

Around the 11-13 week mark, I noticed a big improvement, hopefully you will too.

It's all sounding very promising for you!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for your update. Doesn't it feel good to drive! That was a big day for me. It felt so good to get in the car and take myself places instead of having to have someone drive me and stay with me or drop me off and pick me up.

I feel for you mothers with young children. It must be really tough to get the rest and time for yourself that you so desperately need after this surgery.

At about 8 weeks, I really started to notice a big difference in the way I felt. Hopefully, you will see a lot of improvement over the next two weeks while you still have the sitter. Having the movies to help keep your kids entertained while you rest is a good idea.

Remember taking good care of yourself is what is going to help you continue to heal. Will be thinking about you.

Glenda
      Glenda
      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Jen,

Congratulations! I'm so pleased to read your report. It sounds like you are coming around the bend. Remember though--you're only 9 weeks, and you still have a lot of healing and improving to do. I am not quite yet 2 years and I still continue to see improvements. I think I remember some people posting that they see improvements into year 3.

Bottom line---do what you can, but don't push yourself too much and REST when your body tells you too!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad to hear you're improving, especially your neck. Please remember that it takes a long time to regain stamina and to feel normal again after having a surgery of this magnitude.

I'm three years post-op and was way, way better this summer than I was last summer at this time. If nothing else, this surgery teaches you patience!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jen,
            Thank you for the update. It sounds like your neck is getting stronger and hopefully will be back to normal soon. Since I haven't had surgery yet, I can't imagine not having the freedom to drive for weeks, but it must feel great to finally drive, again. I'm glad you're on your way with improvements daily in how you're feeling.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jen--
              So happy things are going better for you. It sounds like you've made some good plans for the kids in the next few weeks. Is there anyone who could come in a couple days a week from 3-5 so you could really get some sleep? High school girl?? Just a thought. Good luck. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for thinking of me. I will have my husband post on facebook when he gets any updates while I'm in surgery or when I'm out. If you would, please post an update here if you get a chance.

It sounds like you are doing alot better than when I talked with you just the other day. You will do fine without your sitter. You have prepared your children well.

By the way, I'm jealous of the fact that you are driving. It will be a while before I get behind the wheel. Talk with you soon.
                Jenny

Comment

Hi Jen

It is good to hear you sounding so upbeat, and that you are making progress. It will take time for those neck muscles to relearn their new position. As long as you are seeing improvement, you know you are headed in the right direction!
                  Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                  T54/L72
                  Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                  Gained 2 inches!
                  Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                  12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                  Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Jen - Yeah, independence. I'm so happy for you that you are able to drive and have made such good strides in your recovery. You're really getting your life back. I was on a hike over the weekend and a friend who felt sorry for me kept offering to hold my backpack, and I said NO, but thanks. Who knows what the next few months will hold for me (they can hold my back pack then). Also, maybe you could find a middle or highschooler that would come over for a few hours after school. You could at least catch a nap and get a break.
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Jen,

There's nothing better than reading a forum post that hints that a friend has begun to turn the corner.

Keep up the good work!
                      Amy
                      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Awesome Jen! Congratulations. I am doing great. Still some awkward walking. Today is the first day I can see myself going back to work in 3 weeks.
                        Janet
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Great to hear you are doing so well. I admire your determination and ability to keep up with two young children while going thought this huge recovery period. Best to you with your continuing recovery.
                          Chris, Austin, TX
                          80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                          Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                          C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                          New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Great news, Jen! And Janet, glad you're feeling like you'll be ready to return to work!

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                            X