Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setting off security beepers at airports??????!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting off security beepers at airports??????!!!!

Hello! I am approximately 1 year post surgery and am taking my first trip on a plane since surgery. I love flying :} I am curious has anyone set off the metal detectors at airports? I have two rods and 23 screws....I think. I plan on leaving time before just in case I set off the detector and plan on taking a copy of my xray in case they pull me aside. Has this happened to anyone? Haha thanks!
    Maliha
    fused september 2009

At six months post op I went through airport security four times but none of them set off the beepers. The metal in my shoes did though. We realised this when I took my shoes off and they went through separately.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I never set one off, and I've flown about 12 times.

The screws and rods don’t have enough mass to set the alarms.

I always take 2 soft down pillows with me. I jam them in my carryon bag... I highly recommend it.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, most definitely. My daughter sets them off at every single airport, every time we fly, it never fails. She even set them off in the Capitol building over the summer. She has 2 rods and 26 screws, stainless steel. She's also very thin, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

The xray will probably not help (except they will at least understand what's going on), they will still need to pull you to the side and use the wand, then where ever it beeps, they'll pat you down in that area. Ask them to be gentle on your back. Go a few minutes early, we've had to wait a few times for someone to be available.
        Last edited by Sherie; 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Its unusual for spinal implants to set off metal detectors. If one also has a hip and/or knee replacement or two in addition to the spine implants, then it's pretty much a guarantee.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have not set off any alarms in airports or security checks at any national monuments, even the trace portal types (used for detecting explosives and drugs) - didn't even get a ping out of any of 'em! But that's a good thing!

I got a Metallic Implant Patient Data card from my Dr.'s office that I carry with me in my wallet. Plus, I made a wallet size fold-over card with my x-rays and specific implant information and Dr. contact information, my name and surgical procedures in the event that I'm in an accident and am incapable of speaking for myself - yikes. I believe in being prepared.
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

This has been discussed numerous times. Here's an old thread with quite a few people who say they've set the alarms off. You can search for metal detectors, airports, scanners etc.

http://scoliosis.org/forum/showthrea...ecurity&page=1

You won't know until you go through yourself. It's no big deal as long as you have a few extra minutes to spare.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input :}
                Maliha

Comment

Just wondering if it may be the type of rods you have. I have stainless steel and my doctor gave me a card stating that. He told me that I will definitely set off the alarms at the airport. I also see that another person had stainless steel that set them off. Some of the replies that didn't set them off, are you titanium or something else? Just curious
                  Leanna
                  32 yrs. old
                  surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
                  90* pre-op
                  23* post-op

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                    Just wondering if it may be the type of rods you have. I have stainless steel and my doctor gave me a card stating that. He told me that I will definitely set off the alarms at the airport. I also see that another person had stainless steel that set them off. Some of the replies that didn't set them off, are you titanium or something else? Just curious
                    Hi Leanna...

Think you may have misunderstood, but one never knows.

I have implants on both the back of my spine (T4-L3) and front (L1-L3), all made out of stainless steel, and do not set off the alarm. Like Jennifer, I used to set off the alarms all the time, but when they started making us take off our shoes, I no longer set them off.

There is a lot of potential metal that we can still take through the scanners (e.g., jewelry, underwires in bras, zippers), so the only way to know for certain if your implants are setting off alarms is to remove all of those other possibilities.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My Rods are stainless steel and I set the alarms off every time I go thru. I have even made sure to have no other metal on me, such as zippers, underwires, ect. I now choose to go thru the new scan machines (x-ray) it makes it much faster.
                      Patty 51 years old
                      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                      Posterior T3- L4
                      Pre surgery curves
                      T-53degrees
                      L-38degrees
                      and a severe side shift to the right.
                      Post surgery curves
                      Less than 10 degrees
                      Surgery April, 2006
                      C4 - C6

Comment

I travelled at 5 months post-op nad have travelled numerous times after that. I always arrive early, just in case i have to do the wjole explaining thing but so far so good. No alarms hve ever been set off, however, i always get nabbed to do the 'bomb detection' swab! I have titanium.
                        Vali
                        44 years young! now 45
                        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                        Post -op - 5 degrees
                        T11 - S1 Posterior
                        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Hi Leanna...

Think you may have misunderstood, but one never knows.

I have implants on both the back of my spine (T4-L3) and front (L1-L3), all made out of stainless steel, and do not set off the alarm. Like Jennifer, I used to set off the alarms all the time, but when they started making us take off our shoes, I no longer set them off.

There is a lot of potential metal that we can still take through the scanners (e.g., jewelry, underwires in bras, zippers), so the only way to know for certain if your implants are setting off alarms is to remove all of those other possibilities.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Linda

We make sure my dd is not wearing excessive metal, certainly no more than myself or anyone else in our party and she will be the only one to set them off. She still has to follow the same procedure as everyone else, removing all jewelry, shoes, jackets, everything that is normal. Has it occurred to you that some airports may have a higher sensitivity level ? I've seen several people mention that as a reason. Houston Hobby is where we fly out of and she does set them off, same for St. Louis. I think someone mentioned there wasn't enough mass to set them off, yet a belt buckle, watch or necklace will. I'm positive there's more hardware in my daughter's body than any of these items.

In addition to the sensitivity level, at 5'4", 100 lbs, there's very little padding over her implants. Perhaps BMI is a contributing factor? When they wave the wand over her back, it goes crazy and most of the time, that is the only place metal is detected on her person. If it was her bra, jewelry (which is all removed) or anything else, the wand would also pick that up because they're very thorough with the search. If you've had one, you would know.

This has happened on multiple occasions for us as well as other people on this forum.
                          Even your buddy Sharon said her daughters set them off.

Quote from Pooka:
                          We have flown twice, so four times through security at four different airports.

My daughter's hardware set it off every time. She was wanded every time.

I was told no card would help. I strongly suspect she will be wanded the rest of her life. Could be worse and I'm not complaining. I'm just saying she is batting 1000.

We will go on a trip this spring out of the country. This is the trip that was cancelled so she could have her surgery last spring. I expect at least two more wandings, maybe more.

I think it's more than coincidental that we've all had the same experience.
                          Last edited by Sherie; 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

success no beepy beep beeps :] and I have titanium rods maybe that has something to do with it :}
                            Maliha

Comment

Working...
                            X