Still ok at 3 years post-op exam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still ok at 3 years post-op exam!

I had my appointment on Thursday and all went well... I had some concerns (do some of us ever outgrow those???) so I'm relieved now. I've had a lot of popping in my mid-back in the past few months and haven't ever had that before. Plus had a LOT of sciatica problems for about 6 weeks at the beginning of the summer, so I was worried I had done something bad to L5-L6 at the end of the school year when I was scanning those 14,000 library books and had to bend so much (yes, at the hip) to reach the lowest shelves. Plus my neck hurts. And all up and down my back remains tight and tender. Waah waah...

Anyway, other than having "age related" problems, arthritis in my neck, sciatica, and all the rest of that stuff, he says I'm looking good. I actually get around pretty well, my spirits are good. I can do a decent squat although I look funny because I do a wide stance one. It just works better with my arthritic knees, and I can't do it for very long. When the sciatica is ok, my walk is good and I can go fairly fast, until my left knee starts to buckle from the arthritis. Then I get to laughing, thinking what a bunch of old parts I have for someone so young.

I demonstrated how I'd been picking up my precious grandbabykinses (squat, grab, lift holding next to me) and he said ok, but not too much heavier, just not to do it toooooo much, which works since they don't live nearby. Both grandsons weigh about 22-23 lbs. right now. I need to put new pics on my link soon. Right now I can't believe I have to start back to work next week. My summer went way too fast!

I did NOT tell him of my heroic (all right, really STUPID but heroic) deed a few weeks ago, when I was dogsitting my daughter's welsh terrier when her family dropped him off to go out of state to a funeral. The feisty little doggy got into one of his frenzies when I had him outside on the leash, slipped out of his collar, and he got loose, and I didn't want him to get run over. Guess what I did.... Nope, there was no way to run after him and catch him. And no one was home and we live in the country and there are no neighbors so no one could help me. All this went through my mind in less than one second. And that he would be splat on the road and my daughter is extremely emotional and thinks of Huck as a person... Have you guessed yet? Yep! I did! I DOVE for him. And I got him too. I dove and got his two front legs. Then we stared into each others' eyes. He was sooooo startled. And scared. And so was I. Then I wondered what in the heck I was going to do next. So we both laid there for a couple minutes, then I gingerly rolled to the side and sort of pushed up, hanging onto those front legs of his, and we got up. Enough of that story. I'm glad I survived. And I'm never trusting him with that dumb nice collar again. He has a tough collar, with pointy things on it, but it's the dickens for me to use, but I'll just have to use it if he's here. I sure wish I had a video of me diving for him though. My hubby wasn't very happy though. He said "you risked your life for a dog?" (You moms probably understand, though. Right?)

Anyway, for some reason I don't think Dr. H would have wanted to hear that story.

Hope all of you are doing well-- and those of you that recently had surgery and are anxious about how long your recoveries are taking-- this is a journey. I have thought I was "all recovered" many times, only to discover later on that I was much more recovered the following year. Be patient with yourself. Some of you will have remarkable recoveries that are fast, others will seem to take forever. When you feel discouraged, look back and see how far you've come, because even if it's not a lot, it's still progress. You WILL get there.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-08-2010, 02:36 PM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

I for one think diving for a dog or especially a cat is what you're supposed to do. You sure as hell can't let a poor dog get hit by a car. Congratulations to you. In my book, you are without a doubt the hero of the week and oh yeah, congrats on the good 3 year follow-up appointment. Good job!!
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Great post Susie, I could just picture you diving for that dog. I probably would have done the same. You are such an inspiration to us all.

What did your Doctor say was the cause of all the popping? My back is doing the same thing. Sometimes it feels like a tendon is caught on something and then it pops. Is it just an old age thing? Sometimes when my back hurts, I lie down on the floor and can hear my back pop all the way up and then my back feels better. Is your sciatica related to your back or pressure from somewhere else?

You are right that this is a journey. Even though I still have some pain, it is nothing compared to what I experienced pre surgery, so all in all, it has been worth it.

Take care, Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Susie,
        I enjoyed your story about saving the dog. I know I would have done the same thing. Thank goodness you didn't hurt yourself. Also, thanks for the encouraging statements at the end of your post. My surgery is still ahead of me and I know I will be impatient during recovery. I'm glad you are doing well!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear of the good checkup, Susie....and yes, it's always a bit nerve-wracking waiting to see those x-rays.

And of course I would dive to save my dog, are you kidding? I lunged across the bed once to keep my little dog from falling backwards onto the wood floor (long story) and ended up in a position I couldn't get out of...and yes, my husband yelled at me afterwards too, ha ha.

Upward and onward!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks, all. I knew I would have some understanding souls out there. One of the sad things at the time was the big grass stains on my khakis, but I got most of it out...

And yes, it's funny how we wait with baited breath about the x-rays, waiting to see if there is a non-fusion area or something untoward... or I really thought I had done irreparable damage to my last two lumbars... I could hardly walk after scanning those books and just took it easy for at least a month in the walking department.

BTW-- my SIL was just like "WOW" impressed, as he said he's dove after Huck before and missed. So that was fun.

I just put a few more pics up if anyone is interested in seeing a couple of 15 month old grandsons in my "pics of me" part of my signature. Grandmas are so partial, you know. They're mostly on p.2. We've just been back from NH for a week. Now I won't see Samuel till Christmas.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie Bee...you always make me laugh and you have such good advice for everyone pre and post op! I'm glad you survived the dog diving incident, lol! And good to know that a fused back can survive that kind of rough housing too ;-)

Did you find out what was causing your sciatica??? I have been having progressively worse sciatica in my right leg from butt to toes since my 6 week checkup. I have been prescribed physical therapy but haven't made the appt yet. My surgeon said if PT didn't work at my next appt in Oct he would maybe do a CT to investigate the cause, and there is a possiblity of having to remove the iliac screw. Not EVEN wanting to think about that....

I am so glad you are doing so well...maybe you could join us at our next Hoosier get together?????
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

OMG Susie, I had my had over my mouth, with my eyeballs popping while I read that dog story!!! Let's not repeat that activity again, ok Missie????? You are just TOO much. I can just see you laying there giving the dog the evil eye. Thank God you're ok!!!

I'm glad you're appointment went well. And yes please, post some new pics of the babies! We haven't seen any in a while. While you're at it, why not post one of the precious poochy that you RISKED YOUR LIFE FOR!!!! You know I love you that's why I'm giving you a hard time.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

The boys are ADORABLE!!!!! Nice pic of you with hubby, and I love your front-loaders too I love mine, got them prior to surgery and they're the best.

So.....now we can add 'Dog Diving' to the list of crazy extreme sports that some of us post-ops do. It stands up as just as nutty as some of Ed's sports!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Fantastic to have an excellent three year report. Congrats Susie! I did get a laugh about your dive, but completely understand the necessity at the time.

Just wondering, will you go back to your surgeon in a year?
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

OK, let's see how I do...

avis-- thanks for the hero of the week nomination!

Sally-- he had me describe what I was doing when it pops (i am doing things like washing dishes, cutting veggies, etc.-- so hands out in front, doing things) and he said that was normal. I didn't ask more. I should have.

golfnut-- you will learn patience. Whether you want to or not. It will be ok... And you will receive insight in what it's like to be one of the elderly. I remember my first winter thinking things like "OH NO, it snowed! I don't dare go out today!" You get a different mentality for awhile. Or some of us do. I still am afraid to climb bleachers at school because they don't have a handrail to hold onto. But most people aren't like me, fortunately! I'm a wimp!

Kristy (and Sally)-- I'm pretty sure my sciatica is all based on the end of the year stuff I was doing at school-- trying to scan those 14,000 books, and the ones on the shelves down at floor level were just too much. It is much better now. I hope yours will subside with time and PT. I just laid low and rested and hoped it would go away with not working it any and that seemed to help. What is your Hoosier get together? At the moment I feel like I've been driving all over the state as it is. I live in the middle of no where, and this week had to drive an hour to La Porte to have my mamogram and dexa done on T, on W and F drove 2 hours (each way) to Marion to help Huck's mama get her classroom ready for K which starts this week, and then on Thursday was my scoli appt. in Chicago which is 2+ hours. Tomorrow (M) we are going to Fort Wayne (almost 2 hours) to move another daughter and her husband to New Castle. My mammo came back with problems so I have to go back up there again this week. Plus my school starts at the end of the week. Ahhhh, life. What else can we throw in there???? And I already know my dexa will come back bad. Oh well. My drive to Indy (Naptown) is two hours... so what is this Hoosier thing???? And when?

Yes, Debbei, "dog diving" can be added to the list of extreme sports for some of us. I know I dove at least 8 feet or so in front of me. It wasn't just a mere "falling forward" type thing. And, per your request, I added some pics of Huck. He's not groomed real well in the Christmas one, but the antlers make up for it. Of course, his daddy's not groomed so well in the other one. But we love them both.

Yes, Jennifer, I'll be going back next year. My surgeon has been very attentive. The first year it was every 3 months, then every 6 months, then starting at 2 years, it's once a year. We are playing the odds with my lower vertebrae and he's just keeping an eye on me. I really don't think he's doing it for the money or anything, but is keeping track of how things are going for me. I think I would feel a little lost if I was cut loose. This way I know that I will be checked on. That way when I wonder about my neck (which I do) and other aches and pains, he can either reassure me or at some time he may tell me there really is a problem.

What I don't understand is how come I end up writing WAY too much. I'm sorry!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

The grandkids are adorable!! And I love the Christmas picture with the dog antlers. Definitely a dog worth diving for.
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Susie--
                          Cute grandbabies. They are the same age as my one and only grandson born May, 10, 2009. Love the dog story; I'd do the same for my little dog. Glad it caused no problems. The 1st paragraph of your initial post almost described me--except for the book scanning. Neck, always the main pain, back, feeling always tight and sore spots, sciatica or something I had all of June and into July. I tried everything and finally to my old chiro and only let him use the impulser on hips and lower back and it loosened me up enough that it finally was gone! Also I feel like I walk more easily and have a more natural motion. There's a bit more "give" to the hips, I guess. Glad you had a clean bill of "back". Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yes, I can see that having an annual check up would give him a good record of your progress and that it would ease your mind as well.

I just looked at your most adorable grandsons. Love the claw marks in the birthday cake and the very pleased-with-himself expression! This little one looks a lot like you.

Janet, I'm so glad to hear you've had some success with the chiro!
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh my God what an adorable dog. Good thing you saved him. he's too cute.
                              avis
                              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                              X