post op shoes/sneakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post op shoes/sneakers

I know I'm suppose to walk as part of recovery, but I'm also not suppose to bend - or may not be able to bend (to tie sneakers) early recovery. So, I was wondering what kind of shoes/sneakers did people get to walk. I have 'slip on' sketchers, but I'm not sure they're the most supportive things.
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Hi Debra, I would tie the shoelaces before I put the sneakers on, then use a long handled shoehorn, actually I still do this because being fused all the way down makes it very hard for me to tie the laces once I put them on. I also have a pair of sneakers that zip and they are very supportive.
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I just bought some of the toning shoes, because they say that they can improve posture. I walk 6 miles a day and sometimes lean forward. They are difficult to get used to because of the big heels. I also wear a soft brace on my walks for support.
      rich

Comment

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
        I know I'm suppose to walk as part of recovery, but I'm also not suppose to bend - or may not be able to bend (to tie sneakers) early recovery. So, I was wondering what kind of shoes/sneakers did people get to walk. I have 'slip on' sketchers, but I'm not sure they're the most supportive things.
        I lived in Clark's, very similar the this style for MONTHS after surgery. They slip on, no tying required, non-slip soles, and COMFY as a shoe can get!

http://www.zappos.com/privo-batten-c...unsmoke-nubuck

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey Debbe, all of those sneakers look comfortable, do the laces stretch open?
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
            Hey Debbe, all of those sneakers look comfortable, do the laces stretch open?
            they stretch enough to get your foot into them easily. I have 2 pair of clarks, similar style. The first pair I wore right after the surgery for 6 months straight.

Comment

My husband tied my shoes at first and even, now, I sort of tie them on the side, with my leg over my knee. Something to keep in mind--your feet may grow/swell post-op. The first month or so I was walking, my feet really hurt in sneakers I had recently purchased. Went to a store where they still measure your feet and they told me I needed an entire size bigger in sneakers and a half size bigger in regular shoes!!! They were right and so far, my feet are still the bigger size. Soon, I'll be throwing away the shoes and wearing the boxes! If your feet hurt post-op, get your size checked. If you have a "Walking Company" store in your area, I highly recommend them. They even sent me to a competing store when they didn't have the right size in stock for me.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

My daughter bought me a pair of Merrel. They are great for backs. Many nurses i spoke to also use them for work. They have a zipper up the front instead laces. Another style comes with a velcro strap and then there is also the one with laces. They are very lightweight, weighing in at 700g a pair.
                Should make light work!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I have the best sneakers for post-op. I actually bought them 2 years ago (the don't have my exact style on the link below) and love the brand. They are called Privo shoes, and the brand Clarks that Debbei mentioned actually makes them. The ones I have look like the Kalee shoes on the website link below. They do not have any laces. You just slip your foot in. I get so many compliments from people when I wear them. Ever since my surgery 8 weeks ago I live in them. The other great thing about the sneakers are that the have a cushiony support for people with achy/bad/flat feet. It's almost like their are gel-like bumps on the bottom of the shoe and they feel incredible. I have had foot pain for over 3 years now and these are basically the only brand I can wear. Check out the link below. Hope this helps.

Here is the link that kind of look like the ones I wear (mine wear more fashionable, but they discontinued them since I bought them 2 years ago:

http://privo.zappos.com/n/p/dp/65989777/c/117512.html

Here is the link to view all of the Privo shoes on this certain website:

http://privo.zappos.com/n/es/d/722082011/page/1.html (As you can see, there are many styles where you just slip your foot in, no laces involved!)

JenM
                  Last edited by JenM; 08-06-2010, 08:56 PM.
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Oh wow, I just clicked on Debbie's link and even though she mentioned Clarks, they are the Privo brand just as I am suggesting in my previous post above. Wow, Debbie, funny that we wear the same shoes! I rave about these shoes to everyone.
                    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Like I didn't have enough problems having an extra wide shoe size! (If I can find them, my actual size would be men's 6 1/2 - 7 EEE or EEEE.

Wondering what I'll be able to find especially if my feet *gasp* - enlarge, as some of you indicate (hopefully not width-wise) . I've gradually collected nice shoes in this width on infrequent trips to NYC when I could go to specialty shoe stores. Now, I'll need good support (or "running shoes"), I guess.

I have a number of old pairs with worn down soles I was planning to build up with that shoe product that lets you add a silicone layer to the tread. They're hard to put on, but - I can't solve everything in advance. After hand surgery in January I had to wear slip-ons for two months until I could tie laces again.

Now this looms! Buying shoes is one of my least favorite things to do. Along with mattresses and bras! Guess this surgery will require combining all the fun at once!
                      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Thanks ladies for the suggestions and recommendations! I went over to a store nearby, Bonton, that I know has alot of Clark shoes. The Privo's were there, but there were also some slip on Easy Spirit (Treasured) sneaker type shoes. I really like them both. I like too that the slip on's have wiggle room for most likely swollen feet. Alright, now onto finding a good front clasp bra -though I'm sure I'll just be free styling it for a while:-)
                        Debra
                        Age 45
                        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                        Fused T4-T12
                        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I haven't put on sneakers since before my surgery. I absolutely HATE sneakers. I've used flip flops all summer since my surgery so there's been no need to tie anything. I know they aren't great for you, but I've always been a flip flop girl and they are Rainbows so they at least have a (small) arch support.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
                            Thanks ladies for the suggestions and recommendations! I went over to a store nearby, Bonton, that I know has alot of Clark shoes. The Privo's were there, but there were also some slip on Easy Spirit (Treasured) sneaker type shoes. I really like them both. I like too that the slip on's have wiggle room for most likely swollen feet. Alright, now onto finding a good front clasp bra -though I'm sure I'll just be free styling it for a while:-)
                            Debra,
                            I lived in camisoles with shelf bras built in for MONTHS. A regular bra didn't feel normal for me until well over a year post-op. I had lots of muscle spasms around the left shoulder blade--for me an area where the brastap covered.

Comment

Working...
                            X