Bill's home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill's home!

Just wanted to report that he came home on Monday and it's so nice to be back at home (where you can actually sleep at night).

The surgery (on 11/3) went very well. It was about six hours. He was in ICU for two nights and then on a regular floor from Friday through Monday morning. He sat on Friday, walked on Saturday, pooped on Sunday (very important body function!) and went home on Monday. His correction is very good (although I'm not sure of the numbers). He gained about 2 inches and has perfect posture.

He's doing well physically - can get in and out of bed by himself as well as move around fairly easily. He's only taking about half of his pain medication because he's not in much pain. The thing that I wasn't prepared for was his sadness. The nurse said that it was very normal following surgery, but it was a surprise to me.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes and kind thoughts. This board was a life saver.

Susan

Susan - I'm so happy to hear Bill is home and doing well. I hope he continues to have more good days than bad. Keep up the great work.

I don't think talking to a psychologist would be a bad idea. Braydon has had numerous surgeries. His schoolwork was being affected, he wasn't sleeping, etc. Some days he would say that he just felt like crying, for no reason. (Remember he's only 9 now.) I took him to a psychologist at our children's hospital a couple of years ago. She gave him some great ideas on what HE could do to stay focused on what he was doing and how to relax. By relaxing, he was able to enjoy life a little more. No more tears for no reason. Yes, he still has moments when he just isn't happy - sadness is a good way to describe it - but overall he's doing much better. I don't know all the specifics and statistics, but having MAJOR surgery can be depressing itself. Then the meds you take don't help. Lots to consider. Good luck and we'll be thinking of you both.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Congratulations on Bill's surgery. It's good that physically he fine and can do so much on his own. But get him help , if he agrees, for the 'sadness'. Some people can lift themselves others can't.

Lots of encouragement and best wishes.
      Cheryl.

Comment

Hello,
        I am glad to hear his surgery went well. I hope he continues to make a good recovery!
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
        Surgery on April 26th 2005
        Fused from T3-L4
        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

bills home!

so glad to hear that you guys are home. it and he sounds like he is doing great and his stay was quicker than nicoles. We stayed 7 days.
          write when you get a chance - looking forward to hearing from you.
          jennifer

Comment

Hi Susan,

So glad to hear that Bill is home and the surgery went well. Post surgical depression is quite common. After any major life event, (marriage, childbirth, graduation, surgery) it's not uncommon to experience a sense of letdown and depression, and the pills and pain don't help. I would just keep the lines of communication open, let Bill know what he's feeling is normal, and it will get better. If he doesn't start to pull out of it soon, I would definitely get him some help. Teenagers and depression are nothing to mess with.

Best or luck, and our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
            X