7 Months Post-Op Lifting Weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Months Post-Op Lifting Weights

Hey guys, I had T9-L3 fused in December 31, 2009. It has been roughly 7 months since then. My doctor at the 3 month mark said everything was looking good and that I can start lifting light weights (10-15lbs). I did very light exercises that didn't really involve my back/spine such as NO deadlifts/squats/shoulderpress/back rows/etc. I did get some soreness and tightness, but that is expected since I haven't worked out in 3 months and I just had spinal surgery.

At 6 month mark, he said everything still looks good and now I can up the weight a bit to around 20-25lbs. I started doing more exercises like pull ups, leg press, calve raises, bench press, incline bench, tricep pulldowns, shoulder workout and what not, but still stayed away from the lifts above that put a lot of pressure on the spine. Considering most of these exercises don't put too much strain on your spine, I thought it was fine. Also, 25lbs with a calve raises is nothing, I would do around 150-175lbs, but then again, I wasn't carrying the weight. Or doing a lat pulldown with around 70-100lbs, I wasn't carrying the weight or putting strain on my lower back, so stuff like that seemed OK to me.

Now, Over the past few days, I have the soreness in my spine, but it's a different sore. Especially when I walk or twist/bend in specific way, I get a very strong pain in my lower right back. It's not like a sharp pain that makes me cry out in pain, so I don't think it's like a broken rod or anything crazy. But I am just wondering, could it be just that I need a little break from the gym and to resume like in 2-3 weeks depending on how my back feels?

If this persists for another week from rest or something, I might have to tell my doctor to take some X-rays.
    Last edited by JDM555; 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM.

I'm definitely a fan of taking a little break if/when there is pain in exercise. Once and a while I get a few twinges in my lower back after exercise. I'll take motrin and take it easy for a few days and it goes away. I mentioned this to my surgeon in July and he said that if it goes away on it's own like that, it's not serious.

Even if it all does go away for you, and you're still only 7 months out, maybe you should double check with the surgeon on the weights you are using now? After all, you're not completely fused yet.

I hope it's nothing.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
      I'm definitely a fan of taking a little break if/when there is pain in exercise. Once and a while I get a few twinges in my lower back after exercise. I'll take motrin and take it easy for a few days and it goes away. I mentioned this to my surgeon in July and he said that if it goes away on it's own like that, it's not serious.

Even if it all does go away for you, and you're still only 7 months out, maybe you should double check with the surgeon on the weights you are using now? After all, you're not completely fused yet.

I hope it's nothing.

Yeah, I will take it easy and if the pain continues, I'll try tylenol or motrin or whatever. I will only go to the gym and walk on the treadmill or maybe stick to 5-10lb dumbells that don't put any stress on my back whatsoever for the next week. If the pain continues, I'll stop all together for another week or two and see where I'm at. I am almost up to 180lbs, I don't want to lose that too and start heading down to 160. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Comment

I did lots of walking last summer. I was about 8 months post op at that point. If I went crazy and walked too far, I'd get that odd lower back discomfort. It always went away, but I took it as a sign I should rest and not do so much the next day. I do much more than that now as far as exercise, and I'm usually ok. I think it takes time for our bodies to heal, no matter how much we want to rush the process.

Comment

John

When we overdo it, we pay. That just about sums it up....Always consider leverage when lifting... The amount of force from 25 lbs lifted incorrectly, can equal an incredible amount of force at your spine.

Good to see you posting again! and doing well!

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Ed. I do think I overdid it the past 2 weeks. It was on a day where I lifted a little too hard and ever since I cut it down a bit, but the pain is still there. I will stop working out ATM and just walk or do light cardio on the bike.

What are some symptons of a broken rod or a rod that slipped out of place or loose bolts? I have a weird, sore, tight, area on my right lower back that hurts whenever I walk or bend a certain way. I hope I didn't hurt anything.

Comment

John

I am very fortunate that I have not had any hardware break. There are others here, like Les (lapieper)who have had this happen.
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11001

Usually due to a pseudarthrosis. (Non-union) Inadequate fusion.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudarthrosis

I would say that it would feel like an acute burning pain. Maybe some will post on this.

If this issue doesn’t resolve itself in a week or two, I would go see your surgeon. He will shoot an x-ray and take a peek, but cts will tell the truth. They emit major radiation and are not the kind of thing you want to do often. Your surgeon more than likely will wait for time to pass before shooting cts....

Take it slow for now.
              Go easy on the "in and out burger" LOL
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                John

I am very fortunate that I have not had any hardware break. There are others here, like Les (lapieper)who have had this happen.
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11001

Usually due to a pseudarthrosis. (Non-union) Inadequate fusion.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudarthrosis

I would say that it would feel like an acute burning pain. Maybe some will post on this.

If this issue doesn’t resolve itself in a week or two, I would go see your surgeon. He will shoot an x-ray and take a peek, but cts will tell the truth. They emit major radiation and are not the kind of thing you want to do often. Your surgeon more than likely will wait for time to pass before shooting cts....

Take it slow for now.
                Go easy on the "in and out burger" LOL
                Ed
                LOL @ In N Out Burger. I don't eat much fast food, but that is one of my favorite burgers around here.

I went to the doctor today and did 8 minutes on light setting on the bike. Then I used 10lb dumbells for shoulder lateral and front raises. I will go on a mile walk tonight. I will stop going to the gym and just take a break for another week and hopefully the pain/soreness goes away and I heal.
                John

Comment

hmmmm...if i recall from your old posts, you sometimes overdid things...no?

welcome back, John...hope you didnt overdo it too much, and that the problem goes away quickly.... then you could just stop in from time to time to say "hi".....

jess

Comment

Yes, I do overdo things. I might of pushed it like I said when I heard good news from my doctor at 6 month mark saying everything looks good and I can do a little heavier now. I will just walk daily for the next week and hopefully the pain goes away. Will keep this thread updated though.
                    John

Comment

Ehhh...Yesterday things started to improve. I felt somewhat better and not as sore. I then went for a walk at night. Maybe around a mile. It was up and down hill, I felt my back tighten up a bit, but nothing major. I was a little sore so I got a little back rub on my lower right back where it felt sore. I woke up this morning feeling worse than a few days back. My back is tight and sore and I actually feel something like cracking/popping into place every once in a while. No idea, but it feels tight and my back is very sensitive now.

Should I go for a light walk or just lay down or what? Can walk do that to my back? Ahhh, I hope it's nothing serious because this is started to worry me.

Comment

I worked out once a day, sometimes twice a day before surgery. I had surgery on December 9th, 2009 and havn't worked since then. I feel horrible not being to work out. My doctor said that I couldn't do anything until I was completely fused. He wouldn't even let me do physical therapy until I was completely fused. I started physical therapy last week at 8 months post op. I did some lat pull downs and rows and a little bench presses. It felt great, but I am really sore right now. I do walk about 6 mile walk everyday, but miss the weights. I am scared of over doing it and having to take a long break to recover.

rich

Comment

Thats weird. My doctor said I can return to gym at 3 month mark. Obviously very limited exercises that don't put pressure on my spine/lower back and with very light weights. I guess it was I use to gym daily and was in shape during surgery and also cause I was young which helped me recover faster?

All I know is, today my back hurts more than usual and it's not from gym or bending. I took a walk last night and had someone give me a massage. I think it can be the massage because walking helps heal my back and I didn't gym.

Can a massage in the wrong place or with the wrong amount of pressure affect how sore/tight/stiff my back is? I will continue to walk and just try to lay down and let it heal. I felt good going to the gym, but one day I did push it a little too far and since then, I have been in discomfort/pain. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully the pain starts to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                            Thats weird. My doctor said I can return to gym at 3 month mark. Obviously very limited exercises that don't put pressure on my spine/lower back and with very light weights. I guess it was I use to gym daily and was in shape during surgery and also cause I was young which helped me recover faster?

All I know is, today my back hurts more than usual and it's not from gym or bending. I took a walk last night and had someone give me a massage. I think it can be the massage because walking helps heal my back and I didn't gym.

Can a massage in the wrong place or with the wrong amount of pressure affect how sore/tight/stiff my back is? I will continue to walk and just try to lay down and let it heal. I felt good going to the gym, but one day I did push it a little too far and since then, I have been in discomfort/pain. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully the pain starts to go away.
                            Last summer, when I walked a lot, I do remember getting back spasms (that really hurt) afer walks that were 1) too long, or 2) up and down hills. None of that bothers me now.

Remember (I have to remind you again), you are still very early in recovery. As far as massage, I'd be worried about letting someone touch your back who isn't very familiar with all of the hardware in your back. The only person I've let touch mine is my physical therapist.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                              Last summer, when I walked a lot, I do remember getting back spasms (that really hurt) afer walks that were 1) too long, or 2) up and down hills. None of that bothers me now.

Remember (I have to remind you again), you are still very early in recovery. As far as massage, I'd be worried about letting someone touch your back who isn't very familiar with all of the hardware in your back. The only person I've let touch mine is my physical therapist.
                              I walked about 1-1.25 miles a day. Nothing too crazy, but it had a lot of down hill then I would walk back the same route and it was uphill. That might be why. My back did get tight from that. I might walk around on treadmill and use the bike for some light cardio at the gym with no weights. I felt like when I did that on Wednesday, it somewhat helped. But when I got that massage and walked, that is when my back hurt the most.

This morning, I definitely still feel the pain in my back, but it's not as bad as yesterday. I just need to let it heal slowly and take it easy. I didn't need physical therapy, my doctor said everything looked great and I just needed time to heal on my own. I won't be getting any more massages because this isn't the first time I felt somewhat stiff from one.

Comment

Working...
                              X