blood donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood donations

I was planning on donating 2 pints of blood for my surgery, as the doc said if I need blood then I could use my own. I gave blood today for my upcoming surgery, and though I didn't pass out I came pretty close (sweaty and pale) - I feel a little whimpy. They did get the 1 pint, but the nurse recommended I don't give the 2nd pint. I do have a pre-op consult next week and I'll ask Dr. B if he thinks I will need it. Did anyone whose had the surgery need both pints? I know I can use the blood bank too.
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Hi Debra,
    Lucky for me, in my family we all have the same blood type, so I donated one pint, and so did my husband and teenage son. I was given all 3 pints during the surgery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My husband donated a pint for me, which I got and the DR said he also gave some of my own blood back to me. Not sure how as I didn't donate any?
      Many people say if you do donate your own, you will need more after surgery.
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

My doctor won't let me donate to myself; wants me to go in "fully leaded" so to speak. They are saying I may need 2 pints. I'm going to have to rely on the blood bank. My 2 children both have their father's blood type. I was adopted so I have no family members with my blood type. I'm O neg and none of my friends are O neg and that's the only blood I can take. But I can donate to everyone else! But I know they really screen the blood bank blood well these days.
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Same with me, went in fully leaded. I did need 2 pints from the blood bank, about 3 or 4 days later.

My offer for donation was rejected.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
            My husband donated a pint for me, which I got and the DR said he also gave some of my own blood back to me. Not sure how as I didn't donate any?
            Janet
            They probably used cell salvage. That's a process in which your blood is vacuumed up as you bleed, sent through a machine and filtered for any debris then put back into you. It's a very handy tool that all but eliminates the risks of blood transfusions. I believe Dr. Hey uses it a lot. When I read his blogs, I haven't seen a single person transfused, not to say that he doesn't. But since I have been reading about him I haven't seen one. Of course, he doesn't necessarily post about what happens a day or two later. But it's still quite impressive!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
              Janet
              Cell Saver. I've never heard of a scoliosis surgery done without it.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
                I was planning on donating 2 pints of blood for my surgery, as the doc said if I need blood then I could use my own. I gave blood today for my upcoming surgery, and though I didn't pass out I came pretty close (sweaty and pale) - I feel a little whimpy. They did get the 1 pint, but the nurse recommended I don't give the 2nd pint. I do have a pre-op consult next week and I'll ask Dr. B if he thinks I will need it. Did anyone whose had the surgery need both pints? I know I can use the blood bank too.
                Hi Debra...

I saved 8 units prior to my surgery, but only needed 2.

I work in a spine center where there are at least 8-10 major spine surgeries done every week. The surgeons do not encourage patients to have their own blood banked. I think they would actually discourage it in your case.

Blood bank blood is very thoroughly screened, so there is very little chance of getting anything contagious from it. I think that blood donated by friends and relatives is actually less thoroughly screened, so there may be more of a risk with that source.

Either way, do not stress out about it.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Debra-

Dr. B also recommended donating 2 pints, and I did both. It was the first time I have ever donated in my life and I felt wimpy too. I didn't need the blood during the surgery, but that night, when I was in the PACU, they had to give both pints back to me. I would definately donate both as you may need both, unless you don't mind getting someone else's blood from the blood bank.

WHat levels are you getting fused from? Also, are you getting posterior-only surgery, or A/P surgery?

THanks for the email the other day. WHen I get a chance, I'm definately going to write back. Hard to find time with the kids and still taking long naps during the day!

Take care,
                  JenM
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

I figured it was something like "Cell Saver" I just never heard of that before. I was wondering what if there were bone fragments but as someone mentioned, they filter it first. Neat!
                    36 year young cardiac RN
                    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

My surgeon also won't allow me to predonate (wants me to be tanked up when I go into surgery), and he told me he quit using cellsaver I think to cut down on risk of infection. He told me I would need blood bank blood.

My surgery is expected to be about 8 hours posterior, fusion T10 to sacrum with pelvic fixation. There is also a large amount of arthritis, severe spinal stenosis, spondlyloisthesis at L4, lateral listhesis at several levels, as well as an unstable 47+ degree lumbar curve that will all be fixed. This is a revision as I had an uninstrumented fusion 25 years ago L4-S1 with non-union of L4-5. My surgeon told me I would be intubated and on the vent overnight "as a safety issue." I am so worried about this part of it, although he reassured me I would be heavily sedated. Still, I am terrified at the prospect.

Has anyone else been told this or experienced this? I know I have asked here before, but am hoping for a few more replies.

DebraJGL,

good luck with your surgery in September. I will look forward to hearing about your recovery.

Gayle
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

My surgeon asked for three units, but i could only give two as my haemoglobin fell below the benchmark. They cross matched my third and i also had Cell Saver. I did not require my blood in an 'emergency' type way and therefore had it returned to me over the next 24 hours after surgery as a sort of 'pick me up'.
                        Vali
                        44 years young! now 45
                        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                        Post -op - 5 degrees
                        T11 - S1 Posterior
                        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

My situation was sort of an exception to the rule so don't let it scare you. I donated 1 pint about 2 weeks pre-op (probably shouldn't have) and then had totally unexpected, severe bleeding during surgery which required 8 units to be transfused. All the blood testing before and after showed no indication why this occurred. I have had surgery in the past and never had a problem like this. The complication was managed extremely well, and I had no other problems post-op other than swelling/fluid retention. According to my Dr., this was a bizarre complication and most importantly, they knew how to handle it. Despite this, I have had a great recovery.
                          Good luck with everything--you'll do just fine.

Anne in PA
                          Age 58
                          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                          T4 to sacrum fusion
                          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I gave one unit but decided on my own not to give anymore after I felt totally wiped out afterwards. (I'd never given blood before, as I'm too small to qualify for regular donations.) I just let the secretary know that I was stopping at one unit and it was fine. Dr. B used the cell saver on me and as it turned out I didn't need any additional blood after my surgeries anyway.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Well, like everything it seems about this surgery, this isn't black or white either. Thanks so much for your responses, I really feel more prepared to understand what Dr. B recommends. I'm very willing to try to give another pint and would really love to have it on tap, but maybe it's not the best thing for me weeks before surgery. Like you, Chris, I felt wiped out afterwards, but i do feel fine today. Jen - I'm having posterior only, but i still don't know how long the fusion will be. This wed. I'm having an mri of my lumbar to see in what condition the disks are and a pre op visit with Dr. B. Hopefully I'll know then how long my fusion will be. There is arthritis in L1 &L2 and maybe L3, so Dr. B doesn't want to end the fusion for sure in L1 or 2. I am a candidate for selective fusion as well because my lumbar curve corrected to below 25 on bending xrays. So, my 2 possibilities are t3 - t11, saving my lumbar disks, but with less of a correction (probably to 35 or 40 deg.) & with the possibility of needing an extension in the future, OR t3 to L3 or 4 with a poss. correction 25 - 30. There are pros and cons to both, so I'm just going to see what Dr. B thinks is the best option for me. Also, Linda - WOW 8 pints - I'm impressed.
                              Debra
                              Age 45
                              Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                              Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                              Fused T4-T12
                              Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                              Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
                              X