Burning of metal/throbbing feeling in back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning of metal/throbbing feeling in back

Just want to see if any of the new post-op people are feeling this....After walking around the mall today for about 2 hours and doing alot of other activity with my kids/mom this morning, I had like a burning of metal feeling in my back that wouldn't go away until I took a nap. I am 7 1/2 weeks post-op. I have 13 vertebrae fused with 2 rods so all the time I am aware of the metal. Does this sensation ever go away as the months go by? I came home from the mall and took a 2 hour nap I was sooo wiped out. Just had to pop a pain pill in order to take care of my 2 young kids tonight since my husband usually works until 9pm at night. I would feel better and less depressed if I know that this feeling will eventually go away. I am hoping there comes a time I am less aware of all the hardware and metal. I feel like a robot and still my gait is all screwed up.

Thanks for any input. Just want it to get better faster, but I know I have to be patient. I can't wait to write positive posts up on this forum!!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi Jen - that was a pretty aggressive outing. Congrats! I still have to lay down due to soreness in my back. I don't think that is out of line for you to sleep for 2 hours after activity like you did for 2 hours. You are only 7 weeks out! Think of all you have been through!! It's amazing you are out like you are. I admire you so much being able to be a Mom to two young kids during your recovery. Remarkable!
    Hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing great!!
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Jen,

I appreciate every post you make, so don't worry about not being super positive yet. You are really helping those of us facing surgery to know what recovery is like. Hang in there--it sounds like you are getting a lot better! How is your neck?

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

That feeling of having some thing foreign in your back will go away Jen, eventually you will forget it is even there. I think you are doing very, very well.
        If that burning sensation continues I would mention it to my surgeon next time you go back for a check up just to be sure. Then you certainly gave yourself a work out. I think you got out of it well, lying down for only two hours then looking after 2 children until hubby got home at 9 or after.
        .Lorraine.
        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Burning of metal feeling?

I can't even imagine what that feels like.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jen,
            if the uncomfortable feeling (whatever it was) went away after you took a rest, I'd bet it's nothing to worry about. It's just your body saying, 'woahhhh, Jen, so much action in one day?'

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I also get that burning sensation when I over do it. I try to walk, but still use a soft brace, because I get that feeling. I am 8 months post op, but havn't been to physical therapy, because insurance companies telling me that I don't need it. Hopefully, once I attend, the burning sensation will go away. My feeling is in the lumbar area. I had T10-L5 done and had the disc replaced also. The pain actually feels like a hot poker. Hope yours is not as bad. good luck..

rich

Comment

JenM...that was a lot of activity at 7 and some weeks! i hope it was just from doing a lot...and that it resolves....maybe you'd want to check with your surgeon if it doesnt stop happening upon physical activity...?
                but maybe sounds like too much to expect at less than 3 months?!!

Rich....did the insurance company EVER pay for PT for you??? major surgery, but they don't think you "need" PT...i dont think i want to know which company that is!!

hope you are doing/feeling OK...
                jess
                Last edited by jrnyc; 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X