First Time Here - 47 y/o contemplating Surgery - Dr. Lonner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Here - 47 y/o contemplating Surgery - Dr. Lonner

Hi everyone, I have been reading these posts for months, I want to thank you all for your candor and personal experiences. I was diagnosed 45 degrees thoracic at age 14, brace for a bit, and now at 47 I have been advised to have the surgery top to bottom, with possible pelvic fixation (depending on an MRI of lumbar.) My curves are now 64T and 62L. I am reasonable fit and heal well (had acl reconstruction 2008 and healed VERY quickly). I am planning on the surgery mid-March 2011 so that I can go back to work in September (I am a teacher) I figured I'd include the summer for any possible additional healing time. My doctor (so far, I am going to try a couple) said some of his patients similar to me have gone back after 8-10 weeks. I was wondering if anybody knows and/or has experience with Dr. Baron Lonner and the Hospital for Joint Diseases in NYC and can give me any advice? As it gets closer I'm sure I'll have more but I just wanted to begin here. By the way, whenever I get really scared I read the thread titaniumed started about reasons WHY to fuse - SO HELPFUL!!!! So, thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cathy
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Welcome Cathy!

I have no personal experience of Dr. Lonner, but have read many good things about the man on this forum. Try doing a Search for Dr. Lonner and see what you come up with. I know of a couple of people on the forum who had their surgery with Dr. Lonner.

Good luck and keep in touch to let us know how you go, won't you?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hi Cathy
      welcome to the forum, Cathy...there are many kind people here, with experiences and knowledge to share!

if you go to the "Search" on top of the threads, next to "New Posts", you can type in Dr Lonner, and you'll see several folks on forum have had surgery with him recently...i think he is great! he has been monitoring my curves for over 5 years now...he is suggesting i have fusion T11-pelvis done, and degenerated discs cleaned out..with minimally invasive approach that has recently become available for lumbar region...i have just been putting it off...my curves are T42 and L61 and are not changing much lately, but my discs are getting worse by the moment..also have spinal stenosis, listhesis, hypokyphosis, spinal arthritis, and a few other conditions of spine i cant remember any more! ....or am trying to forget...i have intense pain most of the time, and take oral pain meds for it...i have also consulted with several other surgeons, including one on west coast, but like Dr L. the best!

i also have a pain management doctor i see in Manhattan once a month..the botox shots i get for thoracic pain work well, but the treatments for lumbar pain havent offered me much relief...the epidural injection i got for sciatica pain worked surprisingly well, but after 2 months that relief has recently evaporated..i plan on getting another shot, since the pain is still there...the other procedures i had for lumbar pain didnt do much...nerve ablation, facet blocks, other epidural injections for other areas of back pain, sacroiliac joint injections, etc...
      i had to retire in 2007 due to pain! i was a special ed teacher and then a social worker, with the NYC DOE, and a 2nd job with an alcohol and drug detox/rehab.

i wish you much luck with the surgery...if you do go to Dr Lonner for it, you would be in the best of hands!

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Welcome, Cathy! I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice during the months leading up to surgery. I was a teacher but retired the year before my surgery in'08. I did go back and do a bit of subbing this last spring. I was reminded how wearing it is but I'm also older! Good luck to you. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
          Hi everyone, I have been reading these posts for months, I want to thank you all for your candor and personal experiences. I was diagnosed 45 degrees thoracic at age 14, brace for a bit, and now at 47 I have been advised to have the surgery top to bottom, with possible pelvic fixation (depending on an MRI of lumbar.) My curves are now 64T and 62L. I am reasonable fit and heal well (had acl reconstruction 2008 and healed VERY quickly). I am planning on the surgery mid-March 2011 so that I can go back to work in September (I am a teacher) I figured I'd include the summer for any possible additional healing time. My doctor (so far, I am going to try a couple) said some of his patients similar to me have gone back after 8-10 weeks. I was wondering if anybody knows and/or has experience with Dr. Baron Lonner and the Hospital for Joint Diseases in NYC and can give me any advice? As it gets closer I'm sure I'll have more but I just wanted to begin here. By the way, whenever I get really scared I read the thread titaniumed started about reasons WHY to fuse - SO HELPFUL!!!! So, thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cathy
          Hi Cathy...

I had surgery at age 42 with curves almost identical to yours. Because I had pretty debilitating back and leg pain for three years prior to surgery, I wasn't in great shape going in to surgery. I was fused T4-L3 in a single day A/P surgery. I had a rough recovery, but then about 8 years of almost no pain. Then, I started having degeneration below my fusion, and have had back pain ever since. I recently also started having leg pain. I'll be headed back for more surgery, probably within the next year.

I work in a spine center where we do hundreds of scoliosis surgeries every year. The patients who are fit seem to have the easiest recoveries. So, while there are a lot of reasons on both sides of the "should I have surgery" debate, I personally think it's a good idea to have surgery while one is in good shape as opposed to waiting until pain causes a significant reduction in function.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Cathy,

welcome to the forum. I have heard good things about your surgeon too. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago trying to decide if/when to have the surgery, and I'm glad I did. I have to say though, I was 46 yrs old at the time, and I can't imagine being ready to go back to work (teaching at that) at 8 weeks. I was still on pain meds at the time and taking naps during the day! Everyone is different though, so you just have to see how you respond.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you everybody for the welcome and the advice. Every day I go through every emotion possible regarding the surgery, from excitement to terror and whatever falls in between. I DO know I don't really have a choice and it's better to do while I am youngish and healthy.

debbei, I am actually giving myself almost 6 months before back to work, I PRAY it will be enough, my schedule is kind of light (6th grade math enrichment) - not like when I taught Kindergarten, THAT would be a nightmare I think.

I am going to get some more details from Dr. Lonner soon as to exactly what type of surgery he wants to do, then get a couple other opinions. My pain varies from day to day, some days having NONE, some just a total wiggly try-to-get-comfortable day. It all started in my neck - eventually I found out it was from my upper back muscles spasming and pulling my neck out of alignment - over almost two years it gradually made it's way down til only recently having discomfort in the lumbar. I skied black diamonds this past winter and plan to do it again before the surgery. I will then give it up if I have to with zero regrets, but I wanted to give you guys and idea of my activity/pain level....I am pretty lucky I think.

One MAJOR worry believe it or not is the fact that I live out on Long Island and Dr. Lonner is in Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan - I have two sons who will be 14 and 17, my husband will have to take care of business at home and come to the city to be with me - an hour and a half without traffic... I'd LOVE to fall in love with a Dr. at Stony Brook so I'd be able to focus on getting better rather than what's happening at home.... UGH so many things to consider. Every day I think of another thing I won't be able to do during recovery, and some NEVER again - like shoving my face into the sink rather than using a cup for teeth brushing <LOL> and polishing my own toenails....OH WELL.....=D
              Last edited by cathydrew; 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: bad tag
              Cathy
              2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
              54 years old March 5
              AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
              Surgery April 8 2015
              Presurgical curves T77 L66
              Post surgical T27 L22
              Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

It all started in my neck - eventually I found out it was from my upper back muscles spasming and pulling my neck out of alignment - over almost two years it gradually made it's way down til only recently having discomfort in the lumbar.
                Hi Cathy..

I had the same pain pattern in the 3-4 years leading up to my surgery.

One MAJOR worry believe it or not is the fact that I live out on Long Island and Dr. Lonner is in Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan - I have two sons who will be 14 and 17, my husband will have to take care of business at home and come to the city to be with me - an hour and a half without traffic... I'd LOVE to fall in love with a Dr. at Stony Brook so I'd be able to focus on getting better rather than what's happening at home.
                You might want to give some considering to waiting until both boys are off to college or whatever they're going to do.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Cathy
                  i have edited this post...decided that rather than tell you anything more, i would just recommend Dr L.'s web site..seems to have been revised lately...lots of great info!

"scoliosis and spine associates"

he dropped Lenox Hill Hospital a few years ago..
                  best of luck in finding the right answers for yourself...
                  jess
                  Last edited by jrnyc; 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Cathy--I sent you a Private Message.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Cathy, Welcome to the forum. I did see Dr. Lonner for a consult a few years ago. He seemed very personable and caring. I went to see him originally because I knew he performed thoracic minimally invasive surgery. Well, I wasn't a candidate for that (too old and stiff, ugh), but he took the time to perform bending xrays (that other doctors hadn't before that time) and told me I was a good candidate for selective fusion. So, I was impressed with the time he took with me and the care he showed. At the time (if I remember correctly) he was affiliated with a few hospitals, so you may want to ask him where he would perform your surgery if that would be important to you. My kids are 13 and 10 and I worry about being down for the count (for a while at least) at home after my surgery in Sept.. (My new freezer coming on Thursday - time to start cooking). But, look at it this way for you, you'll have 2 young strong boys around to help you get around. Good luck with your upcoming consults.
                      Debra
                      Age 45
                      Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                      Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                      Fused T4-T12
                      Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                      Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Hi Cathy, I will send you a private message, but just wanted to let you know that I had surgery with Dr. Lonner in Feb. and am also a teacher. I live in southcentral PA so Manhattan was 4 hours away but it was absolutely worth the time and effort to be treated in NYC. Never thought I'd wear an "I Love NY" t-shirt but I've got one now!! I am going back to work in a few weeks and probably could have gone back earlier but it was great to have this amount of time. I teach instrumental music in several bldgs. so there's a lot more physical stuff involved than being in a single classroom.

This was a life-changing experience but all for the better. Dr. Lonner is not only a brilliant physician, but a very compassionate, down-to-earth human being as well. I carefully researched my decision, had seen another Dr. in Baltimore and after my husband and I met with Dr. Lonner, we knew this was the right person. We scheduled surgery after just the first consultation. I would be glad to talk with you at some point.

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Hi, Cathy,
                          Welcome to the forum. By the time I have the surgery, I will have thought about it daily and nightly for 12 months. I am lucky that surgery was not recommended while I was still teaching kindergarten. I probably tied a dozen shoes a day & stooped to zip coats, wipe noses, etc. which would be difficult following surgery. I am planning to substitute Sept.-Dec. prior to surgery and won't go back for the remainder of the year. You'll be okay with sixth graders. I've read many good things about Dr. Lonner on this forum.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                          X