Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrum Pain Sitting and Walking

Hi All,

It is now 11 months since my A/P surgery. In another thread I discussed having difficulty with my gait recently. Next week I'm starting PT for gait assessment and treatment. When I spoke with my surgeon about my gait 2-3 weeks ago, I did not have any pain. Increasingly since then I have noticed pain in my sacrum area when I sit down and, this week, when I walk. Once I'm fully seated, the pain goes away. It's there when my butt first hits the chair. It does not seem to matter what type of chair I sit in. The pain is on the left side of my sacrum & butt, the side most affected by surgery.

I searched on this forum for other instances of this and, although similar, none quite fit my description. I put a call in to my surgeon this afternoon. He had left for the day but should get back to me tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar pain, particular anyone who had surgery at least 9 months ago?

Thanks so much.

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Karen

I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm wondering if your sacral screws are causing you problems...Sometimes they do have to be removed.

Going in to see your surgeon and not having pain at that very moment happened to me. Its so fustrating. E-mail him and keep him informed.

lapieper (Les) had her anchors removed.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Karen,
      I am sorry to hear about your pain. I thought for a long time that my sacral pain was from my hardware, but Dr. Rand said the pain I have is in the sacroiliac joint and that can happen to anyone. I have to connect up with a new primary care physician here in NC to find out if I should go to a pain clinic or see a Physical Therapist. I really don't want another cortisone shot since I had a bad reaction the last time. Advil helps somewhat. My gait seems very stiff when I first start to walk and after 5-10 minutes the pain goes away and then I feel like I am walking normally. Sitting can be problematic at times, also sleeping if I roll over a certain way. Maybe your PT will be able to help with your pain. Let surgery to remove hardware be the last resort because as we all know there are no guarantees.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Karen, i am so sorry to hear about your pain!

Sally...i am sorry to hear about yours as well..and surprised...i thought...and hoped..that the last surgery would end all your pain problems! sad to find out that it didn't...

hope you both feel better..
        jess

Comment

I think if the pain is from a screw, you should be able to cause pain by pushing directly on the screw head.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            Karen, i am so sorry to hear about your pain!

Sally...i am sorry to hear about yours as well..and surprised...i thought...and hoped..that the last surgery would end all your pain problems! sad to find out that it didn't...

hope you both feel better..
            jess
            Thanks Jess, When I said SI joint pain can happen to anyone, I meant non-scoliosis people as well. In other words, this particular pain in not related to my scoliosis or my surgeries. It is probably related to the fall on dried leaves in my yard last fall. Just my dumb luck to fall in my yard rather than on my roller skates.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Sally, I am also sorry to hear about your pain.

Yesterday my surgeon returned my phone call. He brought up my last x-ray on his computer and said that everything looked great at that time. Although concerned that I was having pain, he felt it would be best of I brought it up at my PT for my gait analysis. I start this PT next week. So, that is the latest. I'll let you know more once PT begins.

Take care,

Karen
              Karen, 66 years "young"
              Polio at 6
              Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
              Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
              Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
              Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
              Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Three surgeries in one week:
              8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
              8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
              9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Would like to follow up on the sacrum screw pain thing. Overall, I am doing really well, but this pain in the upper part of my right hip is not getting better or going away. The Dr. thought it was a screw and suggested at some point it may need to be removed. It's more noticeable when I am up and moving around as opposed to actually pressing on it, as Linda suggested, although I can pinpoint exactly where the pain originates. I am very tender to the touch along that side of my pelvic bone, too. That was the concave side of my big curve so those muscles are really being stretched and that hip is in a different place than it's been for the last 40 years, so I realize a major healing process is going on there. Has anyone else experienced this, did it clear up, and has anyone had a surgical removal of a screw and what did that involve? It's more annoyance than anything else and in the scheme of things, it's minor. Am certainly going to ask when I go back for check up in Sept. Thanks for any info.

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                X