Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Month and today I could hardly walk!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Month and today I could hardly walk!!

What is with this? Some days I feel so much better. Yesterday I thought I was turning a corner and TODAY I could hardly make it from one room to another. I am fused from pelvic to T8. I guess I just expect too much. But it is hard to understand how one day is good --the next bad. Any input? I am in lots of pain too. Whew! I still take pain meds.
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    What is with this? Some days I feel so much better. Yesterday I thought I was turning a corner and TODAY I could hardly make it from one room to another. I am fused from pelvic to T8. I guess I just expect too much. But it is hard to understand how one day is good --the next bad. Any input? I am in lots of pain too. Whew! I still take pain meds.
    Can you explain why you feel like you can hardly move? Is it back pain? If so, where? Is it leg pain? Is it exhaustion?
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Boomer,
      I know I do repeat myself sometimes, but don't compare your recovery with anyone else here. I had a rough recovery. If you are like many other's here, you feel good one day, do too much, and suffer the next few days. We have all done it.

I'm 5 years post-op and I still do it, then call myself a few choice names for a couple of days, and start all over again. Talk about having a hard head.

We all heal differently, even though we have the same condition called scoliosis and/or lordosis and kyphosis. We have different Doctors, they have different techniques and even ideas how we should recover, ie; some brace, some use bone stimulators, some do ant and post, some don't. And then factor in our age, state of health, flexibillity, weight, degrees of curvatures and so on.

Listen to your body, it will tell you, without words when you've done too much. Trust it.

And never forget you are not alone, we are all here for you and with you,
      Shari

Comment

Thanks much for the support!!

First Linda: You ask what kind of pain I have. It is mostly on my right side (lower,in the hip area) and goes down into my butt and back of the thigh. And then I get pain in the middle of my back. Feels like its going to break into. It makes it hard to walk. But ofcourse I know I am into this recovery pretty early. All my helpers were so good at first-but I think they got tired of it. And know one really understands -unless you've had the surgery.

Shari, You are so riight on with your message. It did help a lot to remind me about how we are all different. And I probably am pushing it a little too much. Thanks for giving me some things to remember as I continue on this recovery. Boomer
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

The fact that your "helpers" were great at first and then fizzled is what I'm afraid of. I don't think people really understand how LONG the recovery time for this surgery is. It's not like having your gallbladder out and you are down for a week and then fine. Maybe it would help to have your helpers read some of the recoveries on this forum so they understand how long a person is in severe pain from this procedure. Sometimes when I'm in severe pain and my family doesn't take me seriously I have a "melt-down". Then they kick in and really help. Don't get me wrong, I don't do it on purpose, but I get to the point where I can only take so much pain and try to keep up with things (I haven't had my surgery yet). Hopefully they will see that you are sincere and get their behinds in gear and help you out! I hope you feel better soon. Have you called your doctor about your pain? Maybe you have a pinched nerve or something. I've read about others on here having leg pain after surgery.
          Gentle ((((hugs))))
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Linda

Try a hot bath. I found it worked well with pain. I took 4-5 baths every day for 3 months. If you do this, hydrate with water, and plenty of it, because you will sweat it out quickly. 20 minutes and you will lose 2 pounds of water weight. Hot being 106 degrees.

You are still very early and going through a tough period. The first 6 weeks for me were extremely, extremely painful. At 6 weeks, I quit the meds, pain rose for 3-4 days, then started to jam nutrients. You need protein, if you are having problems eating, try sliced roast beef.

Hang in there
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

It is so true for me too, as most others. I will be doing really good and, like right now, feel like I have set back just a little. I get feeling good and then over do it. My back still has a lot of pain and soreness. I see my surgeon next week for a 3 1/2 month check. I may ask about a muscle relaxer. I don't want to get back on pain meds though.
              Good luck in your healing!!

Shari: thank you for what you shared about everyone's healing is different both in time and pain. That was a great post and was a good reminder.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Working...
              X