Tight back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight back!

I had my surgery on June 17 with another surgery to check for possibility of infection and removal of bone graft on June 29. I had been doing well until mid-week last week. I feel like I've slowly gone downhill since then. My back is SO "tight" feeling. It feels like multiple mini muscles spasms constantly on my mid and lower back. It was really focused on my left side earlier today, but seems to have gotten worse and is now on both sides. Has anyone else experienced this at around 5 weeks post op?

Hello I had surgery in September of 2009 and no one warned me about the muscle spasms :{ I have a pretty high pain tolerance and those were the worst!!!! And the tight back feeling will be there for several weeks but goes away as you heal and get better. About spasms, my PT told me that those are signals that your body needs a break so listen and be careful :} Hope that helps + feel free to ask any questions
    Maliha
    Fused September 2009

Comment

Jenny,
      Yes even now at about 16 weeks some days my back feels sooo tight...like you said a million muscles all pulling at once. But that is actually a sign of healing, both the muscles and the nerves. Some days it's better than others. I just try to lay flat when that happens. Good luck!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I seem to remember feeling that terrible tightness when I started cutting down on pain meds, and then even worse once I was completely weaned off. It just took some time for 1) getting used to the tight feeling, and 2) for the muscles to get used to their new role and position in life. Remember, your muscles back there were cut through, and have to become used to the new you.

I had a really bad episode of spasms that I had to take muscle relaxants for at about 4 months.

The good news is that at almost 2 years, I rarely EVER have a spasm, and I don't think I've taken a muscle relaxant in more than 6 months. I always keep them around though, just in case I have an episode, and they really do help.

I think the other thing that helps me now not have that tightness any longer is since I am now fully fused, I am able to stretch my back. It feels SO SO SO good. If I had even tried such a thing when I wasn't fused, I would have had that 'my spine is broken' feeling. ICK. I give myself a few good back stretches in bed every day before I get up. I swear, it's one of the best parts of the day. A year ago, I thought I'd never be able to do that again, ever.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbei - How do you stretch? Can you try to explain it? I'm 4 months post op and do gentle yoga..do you think that is bad? My doc said that I can do anything with "controled movement"...and he said that if it's bad for me I will know it. But I don't know and wonder if the stretching from yoga is good or bad!?! I do know I feel good afterwards, the whole mental thing really is good for me.
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
            Debbei - How do you stretch? Can you try to explain it? I'm 4 months post op and do gentle yoga..do you think that is bad? My doc said that I can do anything with "controled movement"...and he said that if it's bad for me I will know it. But I don't know and wonder if the stretching from yoga is good or bad!?! I do know I feel good afterwards, the whole mental thing really is good for me.
            Hi Laura,
            Kind of like I used to prior to surgery--arms overhead, pull up the shoulders a little, use the hips/legs to pull down on the lower back muscles. If I even came CLOSE to a movement like this last summer I would have been very uncomfortable. As long as your doctor approved your yoga I wouldn't worry. And he's right, when you do something wrong, it doesn't feel good!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

i dont know whether or not botox injections are allowed for the back after surgery...i haven't had surgery...yet...but for now, my thoracic pain is helped with botox shots every 3-4 months...insurance covers it, since it is not cosmetic...i had muscle spasms and tightness all the time till i started the botox....too bad botox hasnt helped my lumbar pain!

hope all you folks feel better soon!

jess

Comment

I am at 6 months post-op and lately, my upper back has felt really tight--almost like I have a bra on and I don't?! It doesn't hurt, and I'm sure it's part of the healing process but it is a weird feeling. Am still getting the "itchies" there a lot too--feel like I need the cat's scratching post just for my back!

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                X