college iusse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• college iusse

i just had scoliosis surgery done in march of this year. I just wondering if my spine surgeon who did my spinal fusion will sue my teacher for makeing me do something orther then walk. because he recommend to put me in a pe class and it say just to let me do brisk walking until i'm a year postop which will be march 10 of next year.
    thank for your help
    Last edited by kennedy; 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
    i just had scoliosis surgery done in march of this year. I just wondering if my spine surgeon who did my spinal fusion will sue my teacher for making me do something other then walk. because he recommend to put me in a pe class and it say just to let me do brisk walking until I'm a year postop which will be march 10 of next year.
    thank for your help
    Hi. You surgeon has no standing to sue your teacher. If you can't find a PE class that will give you a grade for brisk walking (and I doubt you can) then you shouldn't register for it. The university is not obliged to provide you rehab for credit. Just because your surgeon thinks the university should do this doesn't obligate the university in the least.

If your surgeon wants you to do brisk walking, why can't you do that on your own? Just walk briskly for an hour three times a week. That will be the same as if you were taking a PE course.

You don't have to take PE at all in college. But if you are going somewhere that has this requirement (which I doubt exists), then can't you just take PE next year?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Kara, i agree with Sharon. I think you should do your walking in your own time during your breaks etc and maybe mis the whole PE thing until further notice. Good Luck.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

The cogelle program is run by my school disrcit and it reciers to take pe.
        I all really was told about i was going to be takeing pe. it started this next month on the 23
        Last edited by kennedy; 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM.
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Can you change your courses now? It's usually easy before school starts.
          If you can't, get a letter from your surgeon stating your limitations. Go to your college before the term starts and speak with the PE dept., show them the letter and ask them if it will be a problem for you to do your walking during PE. They should be understanding about your situation, ask them to put something in writing for you so that you have documentation.

Comment

no i can't change my corses
            I just going to show my teacher i can do pe and only do walking
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

The college program is run by my school district and it requires us to take pe.
              I all really was told about i was going to be taking pe. it started this next month on the 23
              It is still not clear whether you have to take PE your first year or not. I would ask this question specifically if I were you.

If they signed you up for PE and they they told you specifically will not give you credit for brisk walking then you need to drop the course immediately. You will fail it and you do not want that on your record. The college is under no obligation to give you credit for your rehab work. If they insist you take PE this year and will not let you substitute classes then the surgeon's note should protect you. But I suspect they will drop you from the class before they give you credit for brisk walking.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

no i can't change my corses
                I just going to show my teacher i can do pe and only do walking

Why can't you change your courses? People drop classes all the time throughout the school year, so it should be very easy for you to change your schedule now, especially since the class doesn't even start for a full month.

And why did you allow them to sign you up for a p.e. class when you knew you were having surgery?
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Kara,

Get in touch with your adviser as soon as the first week of classes begin. Take the letter from the doctor and explain about the surgery. The adviser should be able to change the classes then. I know when I went to Penn State that PE was a requirement, however you could take a health course in its place. Nothing is impossible and they can't force you to take PE so soon. It seems like it's set in stone because of the way they make you choose classes for your freshmen year, but it can be fixed. Have faith.
                  Tiffany K
                  I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                  4'11", never braced
                  Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                  T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    You don't have to take PE at all in college. But if you are going somewhere that has this requirement (which I doubt exists), then can't you just take PE next year?
                    I had to take PE in college. It was REQUIRED. It was the most retarded thing ever! I felt like I was in high school. I graduated in 2003.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Kennedy,
                      I guess that last post didn't help you much. Most, if not all, colleges have programs in place to help disabled students. For example, I took notes for someone who had very bad carple-tunnel syndrome, and they paid me for it. I think that the PE requirement can be worked around if you have a doctor's order. They have to accomodate you somehow. They may just ask you to wait until your junior or senior year, OR, they may give you alternate activities that are within your capabilities. For instance, they may have you write research papers on particular sports, or observe others during participation. As I recall, I was never asked to do anything strenuous. We did swing dancing, some did wall climbing, but I was excused from that and I believe we putted golf balls around. We walked laps around the gym. General exercises and stuff like that. There was also the lecture part of the course. My advice to you is to find out what activities will be required of you and what alternate activities they will accept. They obviously can't prevent someone in a wheelchair from graduating because they can't participate in sports. I'm sure the department of disability in your school can help you. Best wishes!
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi there! I too am in college,19, and had surgery in September of 2009. Why are you attempting a PE class? As other people stated you should walk on your own time. I don't see the point of taking a PE class unless you're an athlete. I run twice a week and work out at the gym 4 days a week but have only taken up running again and I'm almost a year post opp. Don't hurt yourself!
                        Maliha

Comment

Working...
                        X