Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xray & screw

Hi everyone,
    I think that something has happened with a screw or rod on my right side in the thoracic region. It's been about 4 days and to say it's painful would be an understatement. certain movements just about kill me. do you know if a loose or moved screw would show up on an xray and if they show up on xrays, would anyone other than my surgeon be able to see a problem? I have a final that I am working on that has to be turned in on Tuesday so I can't do anything until after it's turned in. It's making it next to impossible to do much of anything but I have to get this final finished. It hurts unbelievably and is definitely worse if I move or lift my right arm.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Hi Avis...

Sorry about the problem.

While most broken rods or pulled out screws are relatively easy to spot if you know what you're looking for, it's not always possible.

Are you asking because you're thinking of going to the ER?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I think that something has happened with a screw or rod on my right side in the thoracic region. It's been about 4 days and to say it's painful would be an understatement. certain movements just about kill me. do you know if a loose or moved screw would show up on an xray and if they show up on xrays, would anyone other than my surgeon be able to see a problem? I have a final that I am working on that has to be turned in on Tuesday so I can't do anything until after it's turned in. It's making it next to impossible to do much of anything but I have to get this final finished. It hurts unbelievably and is definitely worse if I move or lift my right arm.
      avis
      How awful to have this happen when you're trying to finish up a project requiring concentration and with a deadline! Any chance you could at least get an extension until you iron out this problem? Maybe the teacher could give you a later take home. Not sure, but if you don't encounter proper flexibility from the instructor (if you want to ask, that is) maybe the ADA could help . That's the Americans with Disabilities Association.

Much sympathy and admiration to you for taking on this responsibility with so much healing still on-going! Hope you get it squared away very soon!! This is certainly one of those things where strong pain killers are no solution, as they do a number on concentration too.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi,
        Yes Linda I have been thinking of the ER because I thought maybe it's a lung or something else. It's not getting any better at all and is probably a little worse. It's times like these I really wish my doctor was not a 5 hour train ride away.
        avis
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Oh dear Avis. It sounds very painful and I feel it should be checked out. I'm so sorry this has happened at this stage.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Avis,

Did you go to the ER? Please let us know how you're doing! Hope you are feeling better.

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Avis

Lets hope this is a soft tissue injury... I had one at 23 months post that felt like a soldering iron, in one spot. The pain lasted 14 days, then quit suddenly. I did it clipping my toenails.

Its hard to say if the local hospitals radiologist would spot a screw issue. If so, you might have them forward the info to Dr Rand, maybe save a train trip...

Good luck
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Avis,

A couple of months ago I was experiencing severe pain from what I thought was hardware related. It was painful to take a deep breath as I could feel something pushing in my thoracic area. When I spoke to my surgeon, he did not suspect the hardware but asked me to come in for x-rays. I had a chest and spine x-ray taken and both looked fine. I was given a prescription for an anti-inflammatory. My symptoms subsided after several days of taking the meds. I would never have thought that inflammation around the implants could be so painful. I’ve not had any such occurrences since then. Last week I received a call from my surgeon’s office following up on me. I hope your source of pain is just something minor.

Comment

Hi Avis,

I'm so sorry to hear about your new pain. I hope it is exactly the same as Ed's and Chris's and will go away with an anti-inflammatory. I'm in North Carolina now and hope I don't have to go back to Boston except for my annual check-up.
                  Keep us posted on the outcome.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Avis,

I haven't been on the Forum for a dog's age, but I am glad that I popped on tonight. So sorry to hear that you are in pain. Ed and Chris both make valid points. I, too, had a soft tissue issue about two years ago that put me in such pain that I could not think straight or find a comfortable place to put myself. Fortunately, I did not have to prepare for a final like you do. Lots of anti inflammatory drugs and pain meds finally did it for me, but it took a couple of weeks to resolve.

If you decide that you need to be seen by Dr. Rand and have difficulty scheduling a time to see him, I have my three-year check up with him scheduled for this Thursday, July 29th -- radiographs at 2:30 and Dr. Rand at 3:30 and would be happy to have you take those appointments. Let me know so we can square it with NEBH and the powers that be. Good luck on completing your final for tomorrow. Wishing you a good night's sleep and sending you a hug.

Take care,
                    Linda
                    Linda
                    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Linda you are the absolute cat's meow. Thank you for your offer but I think it will be ok. I emailed Dr. Rand last night and not that the pain and feeling has gone, but I feel some improvement this morning. I had never thought it could be just an inflammation but it sure has that feel to it, especially the past day or so. I was thinking it feels like there are hot spots especially when leaning back. I think that I will survive the back. I hope I survive school. I shall keep you all posted.
                      avis
                      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Avis, Hugs from me also. Is there any way that you could get a xray where you live and have it faxed to Dr. Rand??? Seems to important not knowing.

I honestly can't even imagine how you are able to concentrate on anything!!!

All my best,
                        Shari

P.S. Linda W., What a very kind and thoughtful person you really must be.
                        You are one of the reasons, this forum is so important to many of us. I believe in Angels, and I bet you have more than one with you!!!
                        Shari

Comment

Yes Linda, it was lovely to read your generous offer! Very heartwarming.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dr. Rand wants me to get an x-ray and have the disk sent to him for his review. He said it could possibly be inflammation, which I wouldn't have thought of before reading what some of you guys had said. My guess is inflammation. this morning I am going to see what the potters wheel does to my back!!
                            thanks,
                            avis.
                            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Avis, hope your pain is easing up a bit and the x-ray shows just inflamation like the surgeon said. Like Ed said, I have some issues when I shave my legs or try to clip my toenails, I always feel like I overextended something in my back. Also, hope you did well on your final.
                              Dolores A
                              June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                              June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                              NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
                              X