Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelvic Pain

Hey all,
    I recently had my year post op oppointment with my surgeon. Everything was going fine but I have been having pains where my screws are in my pelvis. I am fused from about T-9 to my sacrum with iliac screws anchoring to my pelvis. He told me it could be from Sacral Arthritis and is sending me to have injections to knumb the pain. If those don't work he said he will wait until 18 months post op and schedule a surgery to have the hardware taken out. Has anyone else expierenced this? I'm so confused. I don't want to have my hardware taken out completly.. seem's like a huge waste of my time. Also, I remember my pain post op and it was INSANE. I don't want to go through that again.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Crystal

I am at 6 months post-op and also have pain from what my Dr. called the "ileac screw." It's at the back of my pelvis on the one side (kind of at the top of my hip) and it seems to be worse when I am very active, up and down stairs a lot, etc. He said it could be removed once the fusion is complete which I am assuming is another 6-12 months down the road. He said it would be a very simple procedure and would only involve removing that one screw, not all of the hardware. I have a lot of tenderness around that area too. Am not sure if that's the screw or just part of the healing since that hip is in a very different position than it was before. It's more annoying pain than anything else, but am hoping it's not going to be there forever. Did the shots give you any relief?

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

hi Crystal
      i am a patient of Dr Lonner's...i havent had surgery...yet...but i asked him about those screws...he told me the same thing he told Anne...and he also told me, because i am thin (quite thin now...lost more weight from pain meds over the past year) that the screws would probably bother me more...he said it would be "very easy" just to remove screws...(i need T11-pelvis..discs cleaned out also)...he would do minimally invasive...

hope the injections helped you...

jess

Comment

I wonder if removing the iliac screws would also reduce the risk of pelvic fracture which has been identified after fusions to that area.

I'm sure they've thought of this possibility. Must be another cost:benefit calc weighing more surgery against the mere possibility of the fracture.
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
        X