PDA

View Full Version : Get a load of this...

Confusedmom
07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Thank you Mamamax for posting this earlier today, but it HAS to have it's own thread.

This appears to be the actual Dr. Weiss (of the Schroth fame), possibly singing in his OWN video on YouTube. Appears to be made in the early 1990s, judging by the clothes and hairstyles, as well as the copyright that appears below. You have got to check this out, if not for the shock value than for a laugh. Personally, it scares me.:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtUCzrRN52k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD_JsDtopR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6k4xlWj2BE

Here is what is posted on YouTube below the video:
"Music and words: Bibi Doc 1995 - 2010, converted from DVD format by using iSkysoft DVD Ripper freeware.
This project has been established for patients suffering from scoliosis and needing a correcting brace. The idea arose from the experience, that many patients with scoliosis suffer from brace treatment a lot and also those who would not admit this. So it seems necessary to support self imaging of this group of patients because they have a spinal curve, but they are certainly not crooked and very lovely........"

Pooka1
07-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Bizarre. Truly.

LindaRacine
07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
We didn't really need any more proof that he's looney.

naptown78
07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Omg........................

leahdragonfly
07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Wowza, what a PERV! And aren't those young ladies a little old to be wearing braces?

I find the last video the most disturbing as he's loving caressing the torso molds. I would never let him near my child, that's for sure.

mariaf
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Gayle,

I was going to use the word 'creepy' - but disturbing is just as accurate.

What a wacko!

titaniumed
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Wait... Its Goldmember......LOL

Ed

LindaRacine
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Interesting... I had the perv thought as well.

rohrer01
07-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Fortunately I had to watch this on mute as my hubby is sleeping. He looks like a creepy rock star wannabe. Very SCARY...:eek:

gmw
07-22-2010, 05:17 AM
What a nut! I wouldn't go to this guy myself, let alone send a child.

Pooka1
07-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Some Weiss lyrics:

Get the brace
Get the brace
You wear that sexy hardware
Get the brace
All the boys will love her.
Get the brace
The boy don't want no other
Get the brace
For there's no better lover
YEAH!

I ask the jury....

Singer
07-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Wow -- something between a "Saturday Night Live" segment and Frontline's "Catch a Predator" series.......

debbei
07-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I think I'm going to go be sick. Those are very disturbing.

doodie
07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
:eek: Okay, I just had to look...I was hungry for breakfast but now I'm not so sure!

OH MY! Times must really be bad over there in Schrothville!

CHRIS WBS
07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
This creep reminds me of the serial killer in "Silence of the Lambs." :eek:

Back-out
07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
There's something kind of strange about using a physical handicap for sexual attraction. It reminds me that there are several apparently NEW fetishes afloat (we know these things thanks to Google's "watering hole" phenomenon) - for example, men who are massively attracted to amputees. Likewise, those who are deliberately amputated!

And a woman in a tight corset seems to hold great appeal to some. I can easily see those braces with spangly conical bras on top next, can't you?

It seems like one of those things that was "good on paper" ("help the girls feel beautiful not in spite of their problem but BECAUSE OF") - but just didn't make it in real life.

Note, though, that the viewings are very low About what you'd expect from family members - and us! :p

rohrer01
07-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Oh my goodness! I actually listened to it this time! What's up with the fetish for young girls wearing a brace? REALLY creepy! Everything just oozed sexuality and was SOOO inappropriate. Whoever said "To Catch A Predator" really nailed it. Wow, so disturbing!

LisaB
07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
OMG....is this guy really a doctor/spine surgeon? Where?? And he still has a license to practice?

mariaf
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
That's what I would like to know, Lisa.

He would never get within a mile of any child of mine.

Confusedmom
07-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Thank you. I showed this video to my hubby and told him I could not believe what a freak this guy is and that he apparently hasn't been arrested.

This is his website:
http://www.scoliosisxpert.com/uk/pageuk.php?va=1

I tried to compare the photos to see if it's really the doc in the videos, and it looks like it could be him maybe 15 years ago--when it appears these videos were made.

Also scary, the link to his own YouTube channel. Click on BibiDocWeiss on the top left next to the video. Look at the photo in the background on his channel. Looks like some kind of concentration camp for scoliosis victims, but I'm guessing it's the original Schroth clinic.

Evelyn

Pooka1
07-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Do we need to also worry about his horses? :D

LindaRacine
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Sharon... TMI!

Pooka1
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Well... no jury in the land would convict me of being concerned. :D:D

But seriously... about that line in the one song about the brace being no better lover. I think someone, no names, has conveniently forgotten about the millions of Spanish men out there. :D:D:D

lray
07-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Ewwww yuck! I couldn't even finish watching them. He is whacked for sure! :eek:

Shari
07-23-2010, 01:34 AM
I am not very often left speechless. Wow. I was very much confused:confused:

Shari

JenniferG
07-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Definitely creepy.

titaniumed
07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
In comedy, sometimes we need to just push it over the cliff. That was pretty good Sharon. I know, your just dying to let r rip. LOL

I have held back on this one big time....I could roll the jokes indefinitly.
Ed

Pooka1
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I have held back on this one big time....I could roll the jokes indefinitely.
Ed

I certainly suspected as much!

Do we have to beg you? :)

foofer
07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm begging.

I could use a few laughs today...

doodie
07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
This is his website:
http://www.scoliosisxpert.com/uk/pageuk.php?va=1

I tried to compare the photos to see if it's really the doc in the videos, and it looks like it could be him maybe 15 years ago--when it appears these videos were made.

Also scary, the link to his own YouTube channel. Click on BibiDocWeiss on the top left next to the video. Look at the photo in the background on his channel. Looks like some kind of concentration camp for scoliosis victims, but I'm guessing it's the original Schroth clinic.

Evelyn -
I just checked out this site and it IS the same guy, definitely the same guy. What was he thinking????

lray
07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I have held back on this one big time....I could roll the jokes indefinitly.
Ed

Oh please go ahead Ed, share a couple good ones. It's Friday and I could use a couple laughs after a week like I've had!

debbei
07-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Oh please go ahead Ed, share a couple good ones. It's Friday and I could use a couple laughs after a week like I've had!

Ed,

don't make us beg, because you know we will :D

Back-out
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM

I know if I have to ask the joke it stops being funny, but OK - I don't get it. :p

That said, I HAVE read about horses having scoliosis and being used as a model for human scoliosis. Now, I'm trying to picture some young fillies with equine braces - something to turn on those stallions, and maybe (is this what you meant?) some "special" human males. ;)

Pooka1
07-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I know if I have to ask the joke it stops being funny, but OK - I don't get it. :p

That said, I HAVE read about horses having scoliosis and being used as a model for human scoliosis.

They have to bipedalize them first though...

http://tiny.cc/88g1n

And they hate that by the way. :)

Now, I'm trying to picture some young fillies with equine braces - something to turn on those stallions, and maybe (is this what you meant?) some "special" human males. ;)

The latter. Just an innocent question on my part. I tend to be concerned with the livestock as a general rule. :cool:

foofer
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I tend to be concerned with the livestock as a general rule. :cool:

Be very careful, Sharon.

This comment is coming dangerously close to an "Access down low..." comment.

Pooka1
07-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Look, whatever this video looks like, we are in no position to diagnose this guy.

The OP should remove this thread in my opinion (now that we have established the OP can do that).

mamamax
07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree with Pooka1's above posting.

As I said in the other thread ... Let us not judge too hastily, and as Pooka1 has pointed out, we simply are not qualified to do so anyway.

Do you suppose (anyone), that some judgments on all this *could* be emotion based and lacking in true evidence?

Keeps me on the fence - and watching while waiting (how ironical).

At least I *think* I know enough, to know that judgment without definitive evidence - may be poor judgment. And that of course puts me closer to the skeptic camp as I tip-toe through all things idiopathic ;-)

jrnyc
07-24-2010, 10:56 PM
i looked at the Dr Weiss "Scoliosis Girls" video again...there is a disclaimer on it now...about how the video is "innocent" and anyone thinking otherwise has something wrong with them...

i guess somebody may have contacted him after the discussion on this forum took place...

jess

Back-out
07-24-2010, 11:04 PM
i looked at the Dr Weiss "Scoliosis Girls" video again...there is a disclaimer on it now...about how the video is "innocent" and anyone thinking otherwise has something wrong with them...

i guess somebody may have contacted him after the discussion on this forum took place...

jess
Don't know how you even got to that. All three are now coming up to me blocked with a "this video is PRIVATE" sign posted.

I will say one thing - he was really good looking back then. Ah, the last decade hasn't been kind to me, either. :p Sometimes, aging just seems to go double time...

jrnyc
07-24-2010, 11:16 PM
saw it by going to you tube...

i think he looks like a real creep!

jess

LindaRacine
07-25-2010, 12:05 AM

jess

I wonder who would do a thing like that ;-)

hdugger
07-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Someone running a youtube site wouldn't need anyone to tell them about discussions linking to it. They would see increased activity on their youtube site, and, investigating that activity, would see that it was generated by the links in this discussion.

mariaf
07-25-2010, 08:19 AM

jess

He can add all the disclsimers he wants - it changes nothing.

So he's a doctor? But instead of spending time on, oh I don't know, the usual things doctors do, he spends time making music videos, reading forums, adding disclaimers to his videos, etc.

Sounds like a true medical professional to me :rolleyes:

mamamax
07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Someone running a youtube site wouldn't need anyone to tell them about discussions linking to it. They would see increased activity on their youtube site, and, investigating that activity, would see that it was generated by the links in this discussion.

Interesting isn't it? So we see how Spielberg got ideas for Forest Gump :-) Dr. Weiss does have a sense of humor it seems - looks like he is redesigning his Youtube channel. Scoliosis Girls remains with the subtitle:

This innocent video may be hazardous to people with inflated sexual fantasies!

As always, humor providing .... food for thought!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BibiDocWeiss

mamamax
07-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Oh boy .... I like this guy more and more. Here's what appears today .. don't know how long it will remain, but this is more fun (and more educational) than Twitter. Hey, whatever it takes to get the attention of our American doctors, within reason - I'm all for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QCDkdOWiM

Caution:

This innocent video may be hazardous to people with inflated sexual fantasies!

It really was only produced to ease the load scoliosis patients might have to bear during their periods of treatment.

Anybody thinking something else should contact (his) her psychologist!

My very best wishes to all scoliosis patients doing such a good job, complying with treatment and with the braces not always easy to wear........

Dr. Weiss

PS: There are thousands of parents that would leave their daughters with me in a room for an hour and even more, because they know, she would learn much for her future life, how to correct her scoliosis during the activities of daily living...

This is also true for sons!

So everybody scared because of this innocent video, please look into the mirror and be scared by yourself!

Music by BibiDocWeiss 1995 - 2010

jrnyc
07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
yes, that is what i meant when i said he had a disclaimer on the video now...it was there yesterday...

those videos all make me want to take a shower! Maria, i couldn't agree with you more...

and there's not an American doctor in the country that would take him seriously after viewing those videos! the only kind of attention he will get from them is the wrong kind!

jess

mamamax
07-25-2010, 09:41 AM
and there's not an American doctor in the country that would take him seriously after viewing those videos! the only kind of attention he will get from them is the wrong kind!

jess

I think my dear - we would be most surprised! Doctors, like managers, tend to stick together.

In the final analysis, in my world, I think Han's said it best: So everybody scared because of this innocent video, please look into the mirror and be scared by yourself!

Pooka1
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
It is unseemly for a medical professional to comment on what lay people write. That he actually reacted to these comments is shocking.

That is the most disturbing thing to me.

mamamax
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
My very best wishes to all scoliosis patients doing such a good job, complying with treatment and with the braces not always easy to wear........

Dr. Weiss

I don't know if you read us or not Dr. Weiss, but if you do .. sincere thanks for this comment.

As a patient, there is much that separates me from the method you offer. May that rapidly change in the near future - not only for myself, but for many others.

For patients and/or parents, like myself who are searching - and for Doctors also searching ... please - read:

http://cirrie.buffalo.edu/encyclopedia/article.php?id=49&language=e#article

jrnyc
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
is that me you are referring to with "i think my dear"?? do you just condescend to people, because i don't recall ever meeting you...i am not your "dear"!!

doctors may stick together when it comes to law suits, but i dont believe there is one American doctor who would want to be tainted with his disgusting video behaviors...calling a brace a "lover"...his videos are appalling! i've met plenty of creepy people in my job as a licensed clinical social worker, but i dont recall any who claimed to be medical doctors!

i am not scared when i look in the mirror, because i don't behave like a creep!

maybe the ocean in Rhode Island this week will wash away the feeling of needing a shower after viewing those videos!

jess

mamamax
07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
is that me you are referring to with "i think my dear"?? do you just condescend to people, because i don't recall ever meeting you...i am not your "dear"!!

Naw Jess ... no condensation implied - I'm an old lady and just talk that way sometimes. No offense intended. I was speaking collectively, hence the word - we.

As time goes by - I personally, do find myself a little scared by the mirror - usually first thing in the morning! :-)

mamamax
07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
It is unseemly for a medical professional to comment on what lay people write. That he actually reacted to these comments is shocking.

That is one way to look at it. My first reaction was to be pleasantly surprised by the engagement. Rather unexpectedly refreshing actually. He has a brave heart.

mamamax
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Have a great vacation Jess! - Maxene

mamamax
07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Please See Here!

mariaf
07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
doctors may stick together when it comes to law suits, but i dont believe there is one American doctor who would want to be tainted with his disgusting video behaviors...calling a brace a "lover"...his videos are appalling! i've met plenty of creepy people in my job as a licensed clinical social worker, but i dont recall any who claimed to be medical doctors!

i am not scared when i look in the mirror, because i don't behave like a creep!

maybe the ocean in Rhode Island this week will wash away the feeling of needing a shower after viewing those videos!

jess

Well said, Jess.

I cannot imagine any of the orthopedic surgeons I have had contact with (and I've dealt with quite a few when we were building the VBS site, and have met several others in the past decade that my son has been treated for scoliosis, etc.) wanting to have anything to do with this creep or his video.

I showed the video to my 19-year old daughter - who is actually very liberal-minded and mature for her age - and she thought it was creepy as well.

mariaf
07-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Again, I cannot imagine any of the medical professionals I know (and I think 'professionals' is the operative word here) commenting on, or reacting to, what lay people say in this manner.

jrnyc
07-30-2010, 12:27 AM
hi Maria
on the thread about "rehab of adolescent patients..what do we know", mamamax is apologizing to Dr Weiss about what was said by many of us on forum about his gross videos...unbelievable!

i wrote NOT to apologize for what i said...i stick by it!

jess

rohrer01
07-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Maxene,
I really like you. I like the way you stick with your Spinecor brace and how it is helping you. You give hope to other adults when it seems as though there is none. I don't understand how you don't find these videos disturbing. Is the German culture really that different that they can get away with such sexually provocative videos aimed at adolescent girls with deformities? It's a pretty well known fact that young people often develop crushes on authority figures. This man seems to be playing on that. If a teacher were to make videos like that, he would lose his job. Where are the scoliosis boys? Why only girls and Dr. Weiss? I'm sorry, but I can't apologize for being upset by the videos. Nothing personal toward you. You obviously see something different in these videos that the rest of us are missing. :confused:

mamamax
07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
hi Maria
on the thread about "rehab of adolescent patients..what do we know", mamamax is apologizing to Dr Weiss about what was said by many of us on forum about his gross videos...unbelievable!

i wrote NOT to apologize for what i said...i stick by it!

jess

False Accusation is: An Evil Thing. And when false accusation has been made - apology is due .. as it is in this case.

WILL THE MODERATOR PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD?

CC: JOE O'BRIEN

mariaf
07-30-2010, 06:18 AM
False Accusation is: An Evil Thing. And when false accusation has been made - apology is due .. as it is in this case.

WILL THE MODERATOR PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD?

False Accuation???? I think not.

I also must ask you - do you have children?? particularly daughters?? I do.

Not that it takes a parent to find that video disturbing, but I am curious.

Funny how you post a link to a video that many, many members found offensive - and NOW you are calling for the thread to be locked because folks are bashing it???

And I'm with Jess - I owe that wacko (who appears to be biting one girl's leg - and calls the brace a 'lover') no apology. You can call it what you want, but I call it creepy, very creepy.

mamamax
07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
False Accuation???? I think not.

I also must ask you - do you have children?? particularly daughters?? I do.

Not that it takes a parent to find that video disturbing, but I am curious.

Funny how you post a link to a video that many, many members found offensive - and NOW you are calling for the thread to be locked because folks are bashing it???

And I'm with Jess - I owe that wacko (who appears to be biting one girl's leg - and calls the brace a 'lover') no apology. You can call it what you want, but I call it creepy, very creepy.

I have a beautiful daughter, college educated. In her late 20's now. See sees the False accusation here -

A respected man in his field is being completely trashed here - the thread should be locked.

Maybe if I start talking about religion here - then the right thing will be done.

jrnyc
07-30-2010, 06:37 AM
hie VIDEOS are being trashed for what they are..garbage...not him..

you dont get it!!!!!

jess

debbei
07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
hie VIDEOS are being trashed for what they are..garbage...not him..

you dont get it!!!!!

jess

I totally agree. I know nothing of the man other than those disturbing videos.

Mamamax, you have been making trouble since day 1. You're the one who brought these youtube videos here in the first place--what did you expect us to do? Praise the man's video content? He's a creep. Plain and simple.

LindaRacine
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
You're the one who brought these youtube videos here in the first place.
Actually, I think it was something else... but everything else you say is right on.

If Mamamax were to stop posting about it, the thread would die a natural death instead of continually making it's way to the top of the list.

mamamax
07-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Actually, I think it was something else... but everything else you say is right on.

If Mamamax were to stop posting about it, the thread would die a natural death instead of continually making it's way to the top of the list.

Now that is funny. Good joke. Actually *if* we had a moderator in this forum, who did not encourage defamation of character of a well respected medical doctor ... I probably would not have much to say :-)

I suggest you read up on Internet defamation. Let me assist:

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

The probability that a plaintiff will recover damages in a defamation suit depends largely on whether the plaintiff is a public or private figure in the eyes of the law. The public figure law of defamation was first delineated in new york times v. sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 84 S. Ct. 710, 11 L. Ed. 2d 686 (1964). In Sullivan, the plaintiff, a police official, claimed that false allegations about him appeared in the New York Times, and sued the newspaper for libel. The Supreme Court balanced the plaintiff's interest in preserving his reputation against the public's interest in freedom of expression in the area of political debate. It held that a public official alleging libel must prove actual malice in order to recover damages. The Court declared that the First Amendment protects open and robust debate on public issues even when such debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

I see LOTS of reckless disregard ...

jrnyc
07-30-2010, 05:47 PM
"defamation of character"?? now you are the only one who has a vocabulary? we KNOW what it means, and that is why we know that is NOT what is going on here! and there has been nothing "false" written...his videos have done all the damage anyone else could ever do to the esteem, or lack of it, in which he is now held! and if you continued to look at definitions, you would see much greater explanations, including that opinions are not facts, and are not defamatory unless false statements are being made...you could easily investigate further and see that no defamation has taken place on these threads!
we live in America, not Nazi Germany...we are free to criticize the BEHAVIOR of people...i did not see one comment about the charming doctor himself...
that is NOT defamation...so why dont you, mamamax, do a little more searching on the internet sites that explain it much more clearly!

we have a moderator...a good one...a fair one...one who believes is freedom of speech!! something you apparently dont appreciate!

so go start your own forum...you're such a critic...i'm just sure you could do it better :rolleyes:

Linda...thanks for all you do..i, for one, appreciate it! and i appreciate free speech...on this forum, in this country...and you are SO right! if mamamax would let this thread die, it would be forgotten! but she seems to feel compelled to keep it going...

jess

mamamax
07-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Literacy is woefully lacking.

jrnyc
07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
really...why dont you give us an example of your "literacy"

do you want my credentials...3 graduate degrees...exactly what in my "literacy skills" do you find lacking?

snobbery is not dead...so sorry we peasants arent as ...what...smart...as you are...brilliant? LITERATE??

exchanging insults...you must LOVE it! you are the only person on this thread who started any of the insults to individuals on the thread...because we don't worship your creepy doctor friend!

jess

mamamax
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
really...why dont you give us an example of your "literacy"

do you want my credentials...3 graduate degrees...exactly what in my "literary skills" do you find lacking?

snobbery is not dead...so sorry we peasants arent as ...what...smart...as you are...brilliant? LITERATE??

exchanging insults...you must LOVE it! you are the only person on this thread who started any of the insults to individuals on the thread...because we don't worship your creepy doctor friend!

jess

Dear God ... this is getting too hilarious. And a degree, bty, is only as good as the manner in which one uses it. Hope that is not too deep. And my "doctor friend" is hardly creepy - but then none in this thread -have taken the time to investigate his work. Yet you know everything - amazing!

Good night ladies - God bless.

I have mentioned God twice now ... can we lock this thread?

mariaf
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I totally agree. I know nothing of the man other than those disturbing videos.

Mamamax, you have been making trouble since day 1. You're the one who brought these youtube videos here in the first place--what did you expect us to do? Praise the man's video content? He's a creep. Plain and simple.

Well said, Debbei.

Some people just love to stir the pot. I cannot imagine that any sensible person would think that video would not draw criticism.

Another thing that occured to me - what would most dads of teenage girls think of this video?? I think if they saw THEIR daughter in such a video, the good Dr. Weiss would have to start wearing a disguise.

But I'm sure those dads would be scolded for making false accusations or some other such nonsense :rolleyes:

hdugger
07-30-2010, 09:29 PM
A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

A few comments, from someone who's worked in the online community field for awhile and had to field almost constant threats of defamation charges.

Libel has to do with an accusation of behavior and not an impression. So, so-and-so is an idiot is not libel, but so-and-so is such an idiot that they put their cat in the microwave might be.

Libel also has to be a known falsehood. So, if you claim that they put the cat in the microwave, but you know they didn't, that's libel. If you really believe it, it's not. Again, this part doesn't really apply because all of the comments were about personal impressions and not about charges of behavior.

However, *none* of this matters when you're dealing with people in other countries, and it may not even matter in forums which are read worldwide. We were constantly having to take things down because a Canadian member, relying on Canadian law, found something to be libelous which we in the US did not.

So, it's not libelous as I understand American law, it's just unpleasant. Once you reach beyond American borders, though - beats me.

hdugger
07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Here's a little snippet from the NY Times in 1900 laying out the vagaries of German libel law:

"The German law of libel is a curiosity. An editor recently said in his paper that a certain gentleman "was an unmannerly boor," in consequence of which a libel action was brought against the paper. The evidence given seemed to show that the only fault with the expression was that it was not strong enough. The case was taken from court to court in the usual way, until it reached the highest tribunal: the final decision was that the editor would have been perfectly justified if he had said that the plantiff "had acted like an unmnnerly boor"; but since he had said that the plantiff actually "was an unmannerly boor." he had committed libel. In Germany it is libelous to call a man a pig or an ass; but if you combine the two and call a man a pig-ass, then there is no libel, because such an animal does not exist. The favorite combination among Germans is, we believe, pig-dog--schweinehund."

jrnyc
07-30-2010, 10:28 PM
"Hope that is not too deep"..."a degree, by the way, is only as good as the way it is used", or some such b.s. like that...my, my, mamamax, is your degree in law...is that why you know so much about "defamation"? or is your degree in medicine, and that is why you know so much about what works and doesnt work for scoliosis...or is your degree in literacy? and that is why you just know it when you see it? or is your degree in research...and that is why you found such relevant pieces on "defamation" ..:rolleyes:
or is your degree in how to run a forum, and that is why you know how to do it so much better than our moderator?

wow, you've got a lot of degrees, and surely, surely use them all well!!

well, since obviously you are just SO DEEP, we poor peasants just couldnt possibly understand your deep, philosophical, medical, legal, literate, research, or forum skills!! poor us...so ignorant, so lacking in your superior knowledge of all things...which translates to no things!

i am done with this garbage you cant stop spouting...you just cant let it go...

you have mentioned your higher power twice..so that gets you brownie points...??
many have said that if you would just let it go, the thread would die...maybe you can finally let it go!
the thread could "lock" if you could stop...or try to control yourself

good bye to this nonsense

jess

debbei
07-31-2010, 06:53 AM
Another thing that occured to me - what would most dads of teenage girls think of this video?? I think if they saw THEIR daughter in such a video, the good Dr. Weiss would have to start wearing a disguise.

I don't know about most dads, but I can tell you my husband would flip his lid. He's very protective of our daughter....well so am I. :)

debbei
07-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Now that is funny. Good joke. Actually *if* we had a moderator in this forum, who did not encourage defamation of character of a well respected medical doctor ... I probably would not have much to say :-)

I suggest you read up on Internet defamation. Let me assist:

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

The probability that a plaintiff will recover damages in a defamation suit depends largely on whether the plaintiff is a public or private figure in the eyes of the law. The public figure law of defamation was first delineated in new york times v. sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 84 S. Ct. 710, 11 L. Ed. 2d 686 (1964). In Sullivan, the plaintiff, a police official, claimed that false allegations about him appeared in the New York Times, and sued the newspaper for libel. The Supreme Court balanced the plaintiff's interest in preserving his reputation against the public's interest in freedom of expression in the area of political debate. It held that a public official alleging libel must prove actual malice in order to recover damages. The Court declared that the First Amendment protects open and robust debate on public issues even when such debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

I see LOTS of reckless disregard ...

I know you won't, but I wish you'd just give it up. You must be really bored.

Ok that's it, I'm done with this thread because I have better things to do with my time.

mamamax
07-31-2010, 07:00 AM
I know you won't, but I wish you'd just give it up. You must be really bored.

Ok that's it, I'm done with this thread because I have better things to do with my time.

If you are bored - I suggest you quit posting.

mamamax
07-31-2010, 07:05 AM
A few comments, from someone who's worked in the online community field for awhile and had to field almost constant threats of defamation charges.

Libel has to do with an accusation of behavior and not an impression. So, so-and-so is an idiot is not libel, but so-and-so is such an idiot that they put their cat in the microwave might be.

Libel also has to be a known falsehood. So, if you claim that they put the cat in the microwave, but you know they didn't, that's libel. If you really believe it, it's not. Again, this part doesn't really apply because all of the comments were about personal impressions and not about charges of behavior.

However, *none* of this matters when you're dealing with people in other countries, and it may not even matter in forums which are read worldwide. We were constantly having to take things down because a Canadian member, relying on Canadian law, found something to be libelous which we in the US did not.

So, it's not libelous as I understand American law, it's just unpleasant. Once you reach beyond American borders, though - beats me.

Yes it is all quite interesting. Now in the case where a well known physician is called a pervert (as has been done in this thread, and such comments even encouraged by the moderator of the forum) - I wonder if a really good lawyer could do something with that ... as such gossip may tend to effect the practice. Boy, I know if I were the physician in this case, I'd have my attorney making a few calls.

nate03
07-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Boy, I know if I were the physician in this case, I'd have my attorney making a few calls.

Boy, I know if I were the parent of one of the girls in these perverted videos, I'd have my attorney making a few calls!

mamamax
07-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Boy, I know if I were the parent of one of the girls in these perverted videos, I'd have my attorney making a few calls!

Nate, I think your attorney would tell you that you would need more evidence ;-)

Some here have said they would not leave their child alone with said doctor. I ask - you leave your children alone with any doctor? I never left my daughter alone with any doctor throughout her entire childhood. I can't imagine that any parent would. Maybe I am overprotective.

Singer
07-31-2010, 08:48 AM
I'll concede that Dr. Weiss is probably not a pervert, but I DO expect physicians to be dignified and to possess some class. Classy, this guy ain't.

mamamax
07-31-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll concede that Dr. Weiss is probably not a pervert, but I DO expect physicians to be dignified and to possess some class. Classy, this guy ain't.

Thanks Singer - I agree. As to "class" however - I cannot comment on someone I have never met. I do think the videos are innocent, especially so after the Schroth-mom's comment in the other thread, which favorably speaks of 3 years experience with the man.

As for things our children should not be watching ... one day in front of the television set could be quite revealing. The shows our children watch, the commercials, the video games they play - may all be far more "damaging" than a few innocent (albeit momentarily misunderstood) motivational bracing videos/techniques. Just saying ....

Singer
07-31-2010, 09:33 AM
It's all about context. I know what to expect from TV, the internet, video games, etc. I don't find the video in question damaging -- I find it surprising and off-putting, which colors my general opinion of the man.

In my opinion, he's just not using the internet wisely.

mamamax
07-31-2010, 09:56 AM
It's all about context. I know what to expect from TV, the internet, video games, etc. I don't find the video in question damaging -- I find it surprising and off-putting, which colors my general opinion of the man.

In my opinion, he's just not using the internet wisely.

I agree that the videos are surprising. And a bit more innovative than most have come to expect, and I feel it is most unfortunate that this would color opinions to the extent that the method would be ignored - though I concede as to how this could happen when little else is known about The Best Practice Method.

If the parents of the good doctor however - find no great grievous fault in said videos, in light of the method which brings satisfactory rehabilitation .... then, I want to know more about the method. For example, I would very much like to see a lecture given (via Youtube) about the Best Practice method. Hopefully one day, this will be available.

As for what we have come to expect from the media in general, as a sidebar, I do find the media to which we have become accustomed, quite damaging to young minds. And yes, I am over protective - my daughter did not watch television unsupervised during her childhood - as an adult, she refuses to subscribe to cable TV due to the offensive programming (and no she is no prude). She makes her mommy proud :-)

hdugger
07-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes it is all quite interesting. Now in the case where a well known physician is called a pervert (as has been done in this thread, and such comments even encouraged by the moderator of the forum) - I wonder if a really good lawyer could do something with that ... as such gossip may tend to effect the practice.

No, I wouldn't think so, since what was being commented on was public behavior and noone was alleging knowledge of any behavior other than that which was visible to all of us. Likewise, I don't think anyone on the forum could sue you for calling forum members psychotic. And, according to German law, apparently, not for calling forum members flying monkeys either, unless they're found to exist.

mamamax
07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
No, I wouldn't think so, since what was being commented on was public behavior and noone was alleging knowledge of any behavior other than that which was visible to all of us. Likewise, I don't think anyone on the forum could sue you for calling forum members psychotic. And, according to German law, apparently, not for calling forum members flying monkeys either, unless they're found to exist.

haha - yes, Flying Monkeys (not specifically identified) ... I was mindful of the legalities of that. I'm not so convinced though about specifically calling a well known medical professional a pervert - which was done, and encouraged - resulting in more unkind comments. Too bad we do not have some seriously high profile attorneys available to comment ... the discussion could go on for eternity. And for the record I did not call any single forum member psychotic ... but the term did fit, and was used in reference to - several conversations - generally speaking .. big difference in my opinion. As for Flying Monkeys, I'm sure that in some circles - even I may be considered one :-)