Still tired 8 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still tired 8 months post op

It is exactly 8 months since my 16 year old daughter Kate had her operation. Over the last 5 months she has been very tired which we presumed was because of the anaesthetic and the operation. I rang the hospital and they said she shouldn't be so tired now and so I took her to her GP and had some blood tests done. The blood tests checked for many things eg thyroid, celiacs, iron levels, diabetes and glandular fever. Everything came back normal. Her ferritin was in the low range of normal and she has been taking iron for several months. I am glad the blood tests were normal but it doesn't explain why Kate is so tired. I am just wondering are there other members who are suffering from fatigue 8 months after their operation?

Could it be psychological, I wonder? As in, she's had a big surgery and undergone all the fears and excitement, then amazement at the outcome etc. and maybe things are getting back to normal, "life goes on" sort of thing. Coming down from a high perhaps?

The other thing is, lots of teenagers are tired. Not sure what the cause is but I remember having to drag my girls out of bed in the mornings for a few years.

Just a thought.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jennifer. Maybe you are right. Along with many other questions her doctor asked her if she is depressed. She certainly doesn't come across as depressed - she is very bubbly and happy and even got a certificate at school recently because of her "cheerful friendly manner". She certainly has been through a lot - Kate was 68* when first diagnosed and 10 weeks later she was operated on. Through all this she remained her normal happy bubbly self and seemed to handle the situation so much better than my husband and I who found the whole situation very stressful - mind you we tried to conceal how worried we were from her. Maybe she has internalised all her fears and worries. With this fatigue she has her complexion is very pale but on the odd occasion when she does perk up she does seem to have more colour in her face.

Comment

The symptoms could point to any number of conditions and it seems all the common ones have been ruled out, so it's very hard to say what the cause might be. If it's just tiredness, I wonder if a course of multi vitamins and minerals might help? Wish I could be of more help.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X